PDA

View Full Version : So much for security

j fisher
01-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Safety chains on trailers are there to prevent you from losing your trailer in case of hitch failure, right? Here's what happened when I forgot to unhook one from my truck yesterday. Didn't even pull the trailer off the block. So much for that secure feeling. Suggest everyone check there chains to see how well they are attached to the trailer.

jaybird
01-27-2005, 08:04 PM
chains only as strong as the weakest-link. i know what you are talking about scary ha.

GTLC
01-27-2005, 09:07 PM
well, when mine came uncoupled back in early August, the chains held at 25 mph and instead smacked the coupler into the back of my rear end cover, busting a ring gear. $300 in damage all because I was stupid enough to forget to couple the trailer, and if I had my spare tire in place, then it would have been protected.

Carolina Cutter
01-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Dang bro you just keep having problems lately. Sorry to hear abou that. I take it you have a welder right? If so you know what to do.......

tinman
01-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Something else for me to worry about :) ... Never checked that b4 ...will now.

promower
01-31-2005, 03:08 AM
I remember when I worked for an asphalt company, crew went out with a kettle full of hot crack filler. Went over some railroad tracks, kettle came off the tralier hitch and both chains broke. Luckly it was out on some country roads and by total luck it just rolled to a stop on the shoulder of the road.