PDA

View Full Version : Making trimming easier

Runner
01-30-2001, 03:09 AM
I've got an idea, and this weekend, I'm going to start on it and let you know how it works out. Tell me what you guys think. When weedwhipping, what's probably the most fatigued area after a duration of time? Probably the trigger hand, right? With it being curled with the wrist sort of tucked in order to position the trimmer properly, it makes me wonder; Why hasn't anyone developed an ergonomically shaped trimmer handle? So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to purchase a triggered handle like the ones on my Echo blowers; the ones that have the adjustable swivel handle. I'll mount a smaller diameter strap to it that will tighten down over the trimmer shaft with one or two small bolts. This will allow me to have a handle that is bent so the thumb is raised higher, making it easier to hold on to and control, fully adjustable, and it wouldn't have to be lifted at much of an angle, though. I figure about a 30 degree angle from the shaft should do it, and if I wanted, I could even twist it a little and angle it inward just a little. If this works, I'll do all my trimmers like this. Let's just make an aftermarket handle, patent it for ALL trimmers, and we could make a mint. HEY! Gotta go! :)

jeffex
01-30-2001, 07:32 AM
what about a backpack trimmer with a flex shaft
all the weight of the motor is on your back
draw a picture of your idea and post it I'd like
to try that myself

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
01-30-2001, 08:32 AM
Actually Jeffex, those already exist. I think stihl used to make one.

Greenkeepers
01-30-2001, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a good idea... I've never seen one if I'm understanding you right. Check it out and you may have yourself a good invention.

lawman
01-30-2001, 11:40 AM
If you get one made post a picture. I would love to see it.

HOMER
01-30-2001, 12:09 PM
While we're on the idea thing, why not a backpack with an option for a second tube. I find it a lot easier to blow piles of debris with another person beside me directing the flow of air in a v-shape. If you had 2 tubes with both pushing air you could manipulate the debris by yourself. Of course you would lose some volume but all in all I would benefit from it. Somebody make one so I can buy it.

Runner
01-31-2001, 03:54 AM
Now Homer's got an idea! With that, we could have a little "cut-out" that swivels and cuts the airflow off, directing it all to the one tube when desired. With the back pack trimmer idea, Stihl did have one like that as did Husqvarna. They also had extended pruner attachments that worked similar to the jaws of life. Now, give me an extended hedge saw attachment like that, and we're in business! Even if it had a seperate power unit that sat or rolled on the groung, similar to the one man post hole diggers!

[Edited by Runner on 01-31-2001 at 02:59 AM]

jeffex
01-31-2001, 07:05 AM
backpack power pack w/ click link type attachments
for blower edger trimmer hedgetrimmer pruner etc.
where do I buy mine!!!

jeffex
01-31-2001, 07:08 AM
I was thinking it could run on hydraulics rather
than mechanical cable drive have the motor run
the hadraulic pump that drives head attachments

yorkpaddy
01-31-2001, 12:02 PM
why not just get a trimmer with bicycle handle bars.
my next trimmer will be a Stihl FS-200, the bike handles will really help when I run my tiller attachment, the thing with bike handles, so far as I can tell, is that you need to wear a harness.

trimmer
01-31-2001, 12:40 PM
Homer,

There is a guy in my town that uses his backpack blower and his hand held blower. He says it saves him some time. Get a little tornado going. You might want to try it.

Runner
01-31-2001, 03:08 PM
Yorkpaddy, You should try running one of those handlebar trimmers for a day or two before you decide to buy one. While they are o.k. for swathing brush or weeds, they're DEFINITELY not suited for everyday use or trimming. It'll wear your arms and hands out. Because the bars are spread wide, they come with a harness to help support it. The only problem with this is that it doesn't allow you to reach out out and manuever around objects making you step up to each and every obstacle and move your whole body around more to trim. Even for your tiller attachment, I think you'd be better off with a loop handle type. I have a tiller attachment, and your gonna find that you will like to move it in and out more for faster till along with side to side. I'm sure the guys on here that have used both will back me up on this one. It's funny. These schools and institutions and such always want to purchase what they think is the heavy-duty for them, and it's usally not even the most practical or efficient thing for them to have. The SALESMAN is always happy to sell them though! They'll tell you Oh how great they work and how this or that just bought 3 of them, when in reality, these guys never ran one a day in their life! Just trying to steer you right.