PDA

View Full Version : lesco/anderson fert verses ag fert

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-27-2005, 06:16 PM
What are your opinions on ag fert verses the high dollar lesco fert
I have bought miles fert for years and i have my own custom blends made up .I can use slow release as well. 98 % of the time it is clean and dust free.I use a spreader screen .every once in a while you might find a grain of corn or maybe some salt .my lawns look as good or if not better than the people that swear by lesco .lesco here in kentucky have not impressed me at all.
is there a big difference between farm grade fert and the lesco brand??
i do pay alot less and have been able to grow my business with out the help from banks or loans etc....
is there different dangers or risk?

GrazerZ
01-27-2005, 09:25 PM
I buy alot of my fert from a blending plant that sells mostly ag fert. I found out real quick that the price is way better than at Lesco. Example: bought standard 2nd round fert last year 50%uflex (can't remember NPK numbers) for about $7.50 per 50lb bag. I do like the stability of Lescos Poly coat urea, but for me its not worth the extra money. Also Lesco wants me to buy atleast 3 pallets for free delivery. I can buy 2 bags and have them delivered for free from my other source.

YardPro
01-28-2005, 07:17 AM
ga grade fertilizers are larger pearls. the praels are less cosistant in size and less fracture resistant (meaning more powdered pieces in the bag). Ag grade are also not poly coated and release much faster. they are designed for fast growth only, not SUSTAINED growth.

we use andersone and feel it is well worth the extra money.

spray guy
01-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Whether its lescos scu product or another distributors uflex product you will probably save with the uflex product if you are for example comparing lets say
a 50 percent product. I started useing agrotains products a few years back and have been happy with the results. I started purchasing Super N seperatly and blending it with urea last year and was extremely satisfied with the results.

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Recently ,I was told by a lawnsite member that I would be sorry for using ag grade fert ? Any ideal what he means? I always get at least a 10 or 20 %slow release sulfur coated added in my blends for longer feedings .
and another young lad explained to me there is no such thing as 35-5-10 20% slow release fert .he says he cant find it at LESCO . lol that cracks me up .I have that blend made up for fall feeding or when the soil test calls for N P K of different range . all soil test vary so i try to make up custom blends to make my job easy .My customers love the ex-tra attention they get .

greenngrow
01-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey Totallawn,

Keep on using the ag grade. The only real difference is the cleanliness of the products.... I Personally know all the guys at Miles... :D Hell I worked with some of them....I am in the Ag Retail side as well as owning a LCO....

Anderson and Lesco purchase more granular products. In the past the Ag side was using Prill Urea... Now that the market is tight the Ag side is using more Granular Urea. As for the Miles store where it located.?????

timturf
01-28-2005, 08:40 AM
ga grade fertilizers are larger pearls. the praels are less cosistant in size and less fracture resistant (meaning more powdered pieces in the bag). Ag grade are also not poly coated and release much faster. they are designed for fast growth only, not SUSTAINED growth.

we use andersone and feel it is well worth the extra money.

Have a much higher salt index, and you will loose more n to leaching and volatilation Total loss for scu can be up to 26%, while urea is 53%, and nitroform (uf) is 5%

Maybe ag fert isn't so cheap?

YardPro
01-28-2005, 08:12 PM
we only use the pcscu.
used to use ag grade, but had too much turf color VARIATION

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-30-2005, 04:01 PM
what are some of the dangers from fertilizer dust??
i have known alot of applicators over the years.i have been around since 85 in the trade .i do not know of any guys that are sick ...yet
i have seen guys wearing mask and i have worn mask on some applications
its not a law here in ky to wear a mask does any body else wear a mask??

YardPro
01-30-2005, 08:22 PM
not danger, just not an even application.

that's the main issue with the dust

Tony Clifton
01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
I am not sure if the same applies to Fertilizer as does pesticides, but you guys do know that it is highly illegal to use products labeled for ag in non ag applcations right?

YardPro
01-31-2005, 07:21 AM
ag is the grade of fertilizer.

it's the cheapest and lowest priced.

the three grades are

ag
cpmmercial
nursery

fertit
04-30-2005, 12:29 AM
You can put down more fertilizer less often if you use a QUALITY slow release fertilizer. 20% SCU in a bag of fertilizer equates to very uneven spread of these particles over a turf area. You might as well use no slow release. This is a "feel-good" amount. More slow release = lower clippings and longer intervals in between applications. Avoid ag grade fertilizers unless you like to mow a lot or revisit frequently to keep the level of green acceptable.

JBird
05-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Well, I have found that Lesco is willing to work with me on price. Just spoke to another very big LCO in our town yesterday and he said the same thing. Lesco, no way, to expensive! But I'm telling you that I deal with Andy (mngr) at the Frederick store in MD and he is willing to adjust listed price for us. Last year, he beat my Ag dealer for fall fert. prices and met the 05 spring prices, even with the jump in price. I made him a deal to try their products if the price was the same and I would evaluate it, so far it's been great. Going to try the three-way this week as opposed to trimec.

Grandview
05-01-2005, 08:16 AM
There are no labels on fertilizer bags. You can use the fertilizer for what ever crop you want. Pesticides are another story. I knew certain chemicals were restricted for certain uses. I had been using Roundup Weathermax for turf applications. A Monsanto at a trade show pointed out to me I was off label. Weathermax does not have a turf lablel. Roundup Pro does. The active ingredient in Talstar can be bought as Pounce, ag insecticide, for 50.00/gal. Talstar 242.00 gal.