PDA

View Full Version : International dump trucks

Boycea
01-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Does anybody run international dump trucks. I put a deposit this week on an international 4700 dump truck to be mainly used for plowing and larger landscape jobs. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Adam

Randy Scott
01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
We have a 2002 4400 with a 12 foot Rugby dump on it. The truck has 15K on it. It has been alright for the most part. It's the small crap that pisses me off with it. We actually dropped it off this morning to be looked at again. It's been in three times for the ABS light coming on and staying on until they do whatever it is they do to fix it. It's been in the fourth time now for the back-up alarm not working. The starter doesn't engage every time you hit the key. It's been that way all summer, just haven't had a chance to free it up until now. Also, the right axle seal at the end of the hub is slinging lube on the wheel.

It also has the smallest of three engine packages and therefore is underpowered for our use. This truck was on the lot with 1900 miles on it and we saved about 8K off the sticker so it was a decent deal. Would definitely like more power. Although the bigger motors come with a hefty price tag.

All in all, I don't think I would buy another one. Personally, I wish I would have spent the difference and went with the F650 Fords instead. The Rugby contractor dump box sucks monkey nuts as well. The fold down sides don't want to stay up with a load of material in them. The pressure that is put on the pins that keep the sides up will pop out with pressure against them. The cab protector that was welded on was butchered on and is cracking from vibration and the wind resistance.

We'll probably unload the truck in another season or so and check into something with better fit and finish qualities.

Mowingman
01-27-2005, 09:16 PM
If you get an International with a DT466 engine, you will have a good truck. Those engines are really strong, and will run just about forever with minimal care. The smaller engines are not as sturdy, and a truck with a 5 yd. dump bed will be underpowered with one of the smaller engines, in my opinion.

Gravel Rat
01-27-2005, 11:14 PM
It all depends on what you are looking for if your looking at a 26,000lb gvw truck that is pretty light for a single axle dump. Most guys that have single axle trucks here have a minimum gvw of 33,000lbs so you can legally pack 6-7 yards of any material.

As for International they do have their problems but they are better than Ford F-Series. If I was looking at getting a single axle dump ie a older used one it would be a L-8000 or L-9000 Ford with a 10 litre engine (not a 3208).

International did do some stupid things I'am kinda leary on the new International bugs you tilt the hood and the engine is show horned under the hood.

The things I like about the L series Fords is 1 they are not the ugliest trucks on the road International holds that record, 2 You tilt the hood on a L series its fairly easy to access all the engine parts, 3 They have good vision they have a good turning radius, 4