PDA

View Full Version : another startup

envo90
01-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Hey all,

First few posts here, but I've found a ton of interesting reading tonight.

I've been cutting grass for around close to 4 years, and decided I'd like to manage a business myself- hire employees (2-5). What all is required to be "legal" (I'm in the state of PA), and where can I find information on insurance and anything associated with employees. Also, being younger than most, will any problems arise with this idea? You're allowed to say it would be better to go solo, but I'd much rather have information pertaining to management since that is what I'm looking for. Thanks ;)

tonygreek
01-28-2005, 10:14 AM
first, have you forecast a readily attainable capacity for 1 employee, 2, etc.? there have been some great threads about revenue and adding employees and finding the balance between increasing profits vs. losing when it comes to added employees. remember, your 4 years of cutting grass under the table is quite different than the romanticized jump to being a business. i'd still recommend becoming a fully legit solo and add the next steps as your capacity increases, because trust me, there is no worse feeling than knowing you may not meet payroll obligations due to lack of work or weather issues.

i'd make sure you have quality equipment in place for yourself and then a solid marketing plan.

insurance, just search that term here.

tony

tonygreek
01-28-2005, 10:29 AM
sorry, server seems to have overloaded while i was editing my post...

search here for "overhead" or start researching the topic. overhead vs. cashflow are areas you want to become an expert in.