PDA

View Full Version : Fast Growing Trees

Joseph Meidling
01-30-2001, 09:14 AM
Does anyone have any recommendation for fast growing trees to form a privicy hedge? I would like this wall to eventually grow to 20-30'. The only trees I have found are "Austree". Any info would be appreciated.

paul
01-30-2001, 10:27 AM
Depending on the room you have a layered look works best, More important what are you wanting the trees to do, sound deading, wind block, hiding something?

GroundKprs
01-30-2001, 10:59 AM
In general, anything fast growing will also be relatively short lived. Faster growth implies more long term maintenance. Could not readily find a mature height listed, but this tree will exceed your 20-30 ft height in 3 years, possibly in just two years.

There is also concern about salix matsudana x alba, the true scientific name, possibly being invasive. See http://www.act.gov.au/environ/willow/ . Would read as many other opinions on the web as you can, before deciding on this tree. It would be a great plant for temporary vertical interest or screening on a new site.

Joseph Meidling
01-30-2001, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the input, I will be using these trees to block the view of my neighbor's house. I have plenty of room, our houses are at least 600-700 ft apart, but I will be installing a hot tub on the back deck and would like more privacy. If these trees det bigger than 20-30' that is OK too, as long as they live atleast 30 yrs.

thelawnguy
01-30-2001, 11:23 AM
"Fast growing" is synonymous with "First to fall" during wind or ice storms.

That said, search varieties of Holly, Poplar, Arborvitae.

paul
01-30-2001, 11:29 AM
So your looking for year round privacy :) Look at upright evergreens like austrain pine or scotch pine they should do what you are looking for.

Joseph Meidling
01-30-2001, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I wil start doing some research. When is the best time to plant. Early spring?

Strawbridge Lawn
01-30-2001, 01:06 PM
A variety of Birch in the Mid-Atalntic grows real fast and is much cleaner than my Cork Screw Willows which are fast growing, but too dirty.

GroundKprs
01-30-2001, 01:42 PM
Mr. M., you first need to spend some time on your design requirements. Is the object to screen the hot tub from the neighbor, or screen the neighbor from the hot tub? If the latter, strategically placed shrubs or even ornamental grasses (grasses will not function full 12 months) of the appropriate height could accomplish your goals, while minimizing maintenance. Fast growing anything is usually a high maintenance item.

Stonehenge
01-31-2001, 10:20 AM
Fall is a great time to plant things. Spring is second place, but also a good time. One thing to consider when thinking about fast growth - that sometimes includes a canopy that has a rising bottom; that is to say that while the tree may get large quickly, the needles/foliage may fall off/die back down below, leaving you a tall tree that has nothing blocking views for the first several feet (hot tub height).

Paul has the right idea, try to go with some kind of layered look. And you could add some perennials, or a 'green' fence to add some color.

Good luck!

JVS
02-01-2001, 06:40 AM
I find White Pines to grow at a very rapid rate - Then agin I feed them 2's a year for clients and prune them every other-

Joe

Joseph Meidling
02-01-2001, 08:50 AM
Thakks for the info everyone. I have some White Pines in the front of the house, which I had a landscape contractor plant. I may investigate planting some of those in the back as well. I am also thinking about a row of White Pines at the outskirts of my property line, with something smaller in front of that?? I am still looking into ideas and won't actually do antything until this spring the earliest.

paul
02-02-2001, 01:20 PM
Have A good landscape contractor do a design for you, He/She should show you pictures of how it would look and incorporate your ideas, plants and over all look. You might even find one here!

jeffyr
02-03-2001, 08:51 AM
Check out this link Joseph :

http://www.landscapeusa.com/scripts/carbo.exe?icatcommand=sppreview&orderidentifier=ID975068105667674B3B311236E&catalogname=store

You may be able to locate what you are looking for, or get some ideas for questions.

jeffyr

Joseph Meidling
02-27-2001, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info - I contacted a landscape contractor and he recommended White Pines. I have them in the front of the house already so I know what I am getting into.

Man Joe
02-27-2001, 09:32 PM
Have used Leyland Cypress and found them to be the fastest growing(not sure if my spelling is correct).They are an evergreen tree that are inexpensive and fill in quickly for privacy.I like the results even better than White Pine; but that is just my preference and ,of course ,others opinions will be different.

BIG D
03-15-2001, 10:50 PM
Just to let you guys know when you are posting tree questions it might be an idea to use http://www.arboristsite.com and get some interest over there. Lawnsite has worked hard to get that going and it hasnt been used to its potential. Not a slam you might have not known about it. Just a reminder.