PDA

View Full Version : isuzu npr box truck

clay duncan
01-28-2005, 01:35 AM
i am getting ready to buy an isuzu npr truck and cannot decide between a manual or an automatic transmission. it seems like 99% are autos. do the auto trannys hold up pretty well?. is the manual a better choice?. i found a 14ft. box truck with dovetail and ramp for $18700. it is an auto with 71000 miles. any advice would be appreciated.

i_plant_art
01-28-2005, 01:43 AM
auto would be better i think i do prefer an auto when towing or hauling a heavy load.you know come to think of it i have never seen a NPR or similar type with a manual transmission. is there really such a thing?

clay duncan
01-28-2005, 01:51 AM
yes, but they seem to be rare. from what i understand the manuals are mated to a less horsepower engine for some reason. i was just thinking that a clutch would be cheaper to replace than an auto tranny.

pottstim
01-28-2005, 02:29 AM
yes, but they seem to be rare. from what i understand the manuals are mated to a less horsepower engine for some reason. i was just thinking that a clutch would be cheaper to replace than an auto tranny.

YOu are correct. The manual NPRs rating is 145hp and 275 ft lb of torque, while the auto is 175hp and 347 ft lb of torque. That was for the 2004 model year. I have one of those at work (auto) and it is a helluva little truck. Wouldn't trade it for anything. For 2005, they are offering more powerful engines. Check out their website for more info.

Shadetree Ltd
01-28-2005, 04:28 AM
I found the auto much nicer to drive. I do not have many miles to comment on longetivity.

Scott

PMLAWN
01-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Marion is all hills, I would not even thing of driving a clutch around there.
2 years ago we bought a PT Cruiser with a manual tranny. At the time my wife was working from home and we just drove the car a little bit. New job was working in Charlotte and driving down I-77 each day. Bye-bye manual, They are a pain to drive in traffic or in a hilly area. Yes they are a little cheaper to fix(clutch) but you will be doing it more often.

Luscious Lawns
01-28-2005, 09:13 AM
You can't go wrong with an NPR. I've had mine for over 2 years and would have nothing less. I've had no trouble at all out of mine. A buddy of mine reciently sold his 2 and bought 2 more new ones. The old NPR had 380K+ and were daily workers when traded off.

The box is also the way to go, it keeps the equipment safe and secure. No need to lock everything on the trailor doun. Just pull doun the door and lock it. The turning radius is great. Don't let the small hp numbers fool you, it'll run 60 MPH all day long fully loaded. BTW they come from the factory with goveners set to about 65

A few drawbacks though,,,,,,,,,,The ramp is steep and high (Compaired to a trailor) DON"T RUN OFF THE RAMPS! Also being a box truck you have to remove equipment to fill them up.

Also I'm an old man that loves coffee on the job,,,,,,,,,,,,,so we added a porta john to the truck. Biggest time saver for the money ever.

Allen

KillaWhale
01-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Local landscape supply co. has an NPR 4dr with flat bed. Hauls rock and other stuff, also towing trailer with same junk 200-300mi a day without a problem. He says he would not trade it for anything. Do any of you have a SLT truck? Satisfied? What option on it? Customer service?

gogetter
01-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey Allen, any chance you have any photos of your truck? I'm especially interested in the ramp set up. If you don't have any pics, could you tell us more about the ramp then? Custom? Factory installed? Length? Lift assist?

Thanks.

xcopterdoc
01-28-2005, 09:22 PM
The only tranny failures I've seen were due to overloading and never servicing. Keep the filter changed. On the fleet i maintained I changed the tranny filter every other oil change. Every second filter change I dropped the old fluid out and replaced it. Never a problem.

pottstim
01-29-2005, 01:10 AM
I wanted to add that we haven't had any problems in 13 months and 15,000 miles of ownership. I've hauled up to 3,700 lbs in the back of the NPR. We ran out of a special grade of newsprint at the newspaper I work for, so I drove down to the Bowater mill in Calhoun, TN down I-75. I got 4 rolls, and they weighed a little over 900 lbs each. Once i got back on I-75, the truck had no problem maintaining speed. The truck is governed at 72, so I kept my speed around 65-66. It held that speed all the way back to the shop except on one large, long hill, which dropped the truck to 60. Semi trucks were reduced to 45 on that hill with the 4 ways on. That trip was 200 miles round-trip and the truck got 12.4 mpg. We change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter every 6,000 miles. The book says 6,500 but we do 6,000. The air filter is inspected each service and replaced as needed. If you do get one of these trucks, make sure you let it warm up a while before you drive away to allow the water and oil temps to come up. Diesels sure don't like to be cold. The NPRs have a nob on the left side of the dash that allows you to turn up the idle for faster warmups. The exhaust brake will automatically partially close on colder days at startup. This puts more backpressure on the engine to make it warm up faster. It will make a hissing sound underneath the truck while it's doing this. Once the truck reaches warmer engine temps, the exhaust brake will automatically open back up. You can also plug the truck's block heater in on cold nights, too. The plug on our truck is located behind the passanger's door ontop of the air filter assembly. I hope you are able to get one of these trucks. You will love it. Hope this helps.

Tony Clifton
01-29-2005, 10:45 AM
We have 2, a 1995 with over 140,000 miles, and a 1998 with less than 100,000. Both are automatic and get worked daily, knock on wood, we have had no transmission problems. They are solid trucks. We are getting ready to order a crew cab with a dump.