PDA

View Full Version : Just getting in the business but still no business

Eagle Lawn Care
01-28-2005, 01:21 PM
If anybody had any advice or suggestions for my business they would be GREATLY appreciated at this point. I recently bought a brand new graveley 144 and all new stihl equipment. I've put alot of money into this business so far but no business. It seems as though there is TOO much competition, everywhere you look is another lawncare business. I almost feel intimidated. Every business already has a lawn care business on contract. ANY HELP?

Carolina Cutter
01-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Its only January. Things will take off when the warmer weather hits. Until then get your name out there. Be persistant.

kalyeah
01-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Don't get in over your head too fast. Don't buy a bunch of equipment that you won't use on a daily basis. First year maybe you should start out with mostly residential or small commercial properties. Be liscensed and insured. There will be a time when you're glad you are and it's helps sell yourself. Don't be intimidated. It takes time to build a business. If you keep advertising you'll get the business. Conduct business professionally and you'll keep the business. Don't lowball to get business. You'll be sorry you did later when you're working your a@@ off and not getting paid enough for it.

thepondman2
01-28-2005, 02:32 PM
hey Eagle lawn care, i started in october going into landscape installation and maintnance ,i moved to this area three years ago and i know no one, i put out well over 2000 flyers , so far i've had 6 calls ,2 i've gotten ,1 thought i was to high priced, 1 is still in decision, and the other wanted a stone mason so hang in there and put out some flyers

SoloMow
01-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Eagle Lawn Care,
Sit tight for now, but get your spring promotion prepared. You need to be ready for a big advertising push in 2-3 weeks. By mid-February you should hit the ground running with flyers and door-hangers. Since you are just starting, target residential and small commercial properties. Get your "sea legs" before attacking big commercial accounts. Once you get a start, word of mouth will add to your business as the summer progresses. You have good equipment...... just do a great job! Good Luck.

Eagle Lawn Care
01-29-2005, 01:10 AM
There are some great people at LawnSite :)

lawncare4u
01-29-2005, 07:27 AM
If anybody had any advice or suggestions for my business they would be GREATLY appreciated at this point. I recently bought a brand new graveley 144 and all new stihl equipment. I've put alot of money into this business so far but no business. It seems as though there is TOO much competition, everywhere you look is another lawncare business. I almost feel intimidated. Every business already has a lawn care business on contract. ANY HELP?

Sounds like everyone is giveing good advice,hang in,it will come NEVER CONSIDER DOING CHEAPER TO GET THE WORK>it will come call some other LCO's in your area and see what they would charge to do your yard,that will give you a general idea on what to charge

PMLAWN
01-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Jan is slow but the time to put out fliers. Our first batch was out the 2nd week of Jan. our 2nd will go out Feb 14th.. Our third will go out on March 1st.
After that once a month till Dec. To much other stuff going on to think about grass.
The # count for passed out stuff is about 20,000. We also do a lot of mailings. from the first round we got 6 jobs lined up but the real stuff will happen in Feb and March. Being new you may not get as many as us because my name is know, but you will get some. The best thing is that you have nothing to do so it will be easy to pass them out. After that find some Real Estate people and ask them who passes out their stuff. That is the cheapest way to get them out. Do it yourself the first time so you know where they are going.
We are going for two new routes this year so we need about 200 new jobs. I am hoping we get there before July.

Keep the faith. It will come. Tell everybody you know what you do.
Even though we do the ads we still get a lot of business from word of mouth
Use every club or activity you are in and let them know about you.
Marketing- Marketing- Marketing!!---------Good Luck,

newbomb
01-29-2005, 06:25 PM
I would agree with others, get experience, get legal and start with residentials to develop clientel. I am trying a new idea this winter and into Spring. I watch my area almost daily but I take one day a week to ride around my area and see which homes are for sale. After they are sold and I see signs of new owners I make sure they get a flier describing my services. This is my first year trying this but I think it's got good potential. Being able to claim that you are insured is a huge advantage over those who are not, so having insurance is a must if you want to succeed.

Good Luck

-Paul

Carolina Cutter
01-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Get yourself a nice winter jacket and hat made up with your company name on them. Wear them everywhere its appropriate. I have had mine for three years and am amazed at how many times people will ask just because of these items. This is a good way to get name recognition and recognition is the way to success.

LLCO
01-30-2005, 11:15 PM
One area of potential focus is on new move in's and those that have bought a house in the last 3-4 months. Most of those folks have not made buying decisions yet but will be faced with that decision in the next few weeks. Most county auditors can give you the information of recent sales by community or by zip code. Most newspapers list this weekly somewhere in the paper.

Good Luck!

Eagle Lawn Care
02-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I appreciate the info. and that is true about the insurance but before we ever had are first job we were licensed and insured it is a pain a little to get but it is worth i guess thats why i was so worried cause we put alot of time and mony into it before any results. but things are coming around and i just wanted to say thanks.

pgiambat
02-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Hang in there, Here's a couple suggestions I have done, each has it's own success:

1. Get some Business cards, I got 1000 very plain cards from Office Depot for $13, just my name and phone number saying "Lawn Mowing & Fertilization". Walk through a neighborhod and stick them on doors of yards you would not mind cutting. (Put some on the magnets made for business cards).

2. Everyone you talk to (mostly women) ask them with a smile if they cut their own grass, give them a card. Women talk!!! If you are nice and sincere you WILL get some accounts.

3. The accounts you do get, talk to the neighbors, walk up and introduce yourself and let them know your name and why you are there, tell them you are willing to help them out if they ever need a cut, building relationships.

4. Advertise in your local free paper, something like the "Thrifty Nickel" or "American Classifieds" or "Penny Pincher" or things like that, the advertising is cheap and pretty effective.

Sell YOURSELF, not the cut, anyone can cut (pretty much).

The above advice is all good too. Try to do things smart, don't just dump $$ at things.

Good luck

Something D
02-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Like everyone said, Hang in there and don't be intimidated by other companies. Many people out there are Jacklegs and eventually if your professional you will get there businees. I started last year and that is exactly how I got most of my residential jobs. Take care of the customer and they will take care of you (generally speaking). I have an elderly couple that I do anything for them a lot for free. Last week they gave me a 52 projection TV because I took care of them. Sometimes you need to go above and beyond the call of duty...especially for customers you really enjoy working with.

Professionalism and Customer Service is Key when dealing with residential, but it is a good start. This year I am looking at more commercial property.

Good luck and stay glued to this site. Everyone on this site is amazing. Thank you all for helping make me be a success with all the friendly advice..

PMLAWN
02-04-2005, 11:55 AM
I have an elderly couple that I do anything for them a lot for free. Last week they gave me a 52 projection TV because I took care of them. Sometimes you need to go above and beyond the call of duty...especially for customers you really enjoy working with.

Talk about a bonus!!! And just in time for the Superbowl.