PDA

View Full Version : question before starting business

midwest guy
01-28-2005, 06:15 PM
I am looking into starting a mowing residential business but have a medical concern first.
I have a disc in my back that is going bad,no pain yet and I can move around fine so far.
My concern is would I do ok mowing or would this be to much for me and start problems I don't have now. Had some people say I would do just fine while others said this would be to much bending and being hunched over to much.Doctor wasn't sure so thought I would ask.
Friend of mine suggested power washing for reasons of can pick when I want to work and less money if I find out I can't do this. What are your thoughts?

Soupy
01-28-2005, 06:22 PM
You should be fine as long as you don't use a riding mower of any kind. Walking is good for your back and you will do a lot of walking. Make sure you buy the lightest trimmer you can find. I don't think using a trimmer or blower would be any harder then power washing.

With any type of back problems, you can count on them getting worse down the road.

I can't think of to many jobs that would be good on your back. A desk job would be just as bad as some others. You wouldn't want to stand behind a cash register all day either.

jimslawns
01-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Is this a degenerative problem, What does your doc say? What about your chiropractor? I have a disk problem as well, and with regular adjustments I have been able to return to full steam ahead status again and feel great.

When you design your trailer, make sure you put gate helpers on it, and think about your posture.

Carino Property Services
01-28-2005, 06:57 PM
I have a real bad back 4 bad disk. I bought a ferris IS3000 with suspension, to use on my 3.5 acre lawn, my back feels alot better than doing all that walking. Good Luck Tom

midwest guy
01-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I have M.S.so there is nothing I can do about it.
Thanks for awesome feedback just what I wanted to hear.
Will be looking at 32"or 36" exmark or scag and light weight trimmer/blower now that you brought that up.
Thanks again for your help and have a great day.

PMLAWN
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Hydro--Hydro---Hydro-- Don't even think of getting a belt. Learn to run the business as fast as you can and get people to do the work while you sell and run the business. With a proper ad campain and good work you should be able to get off the mowers within a year. Just make sure you know your profits.

midwest guy
01-30-2005, 08:47 AM
You guys are full of on information.
I all most didn't post on here,thinking someone would tell me I was stupid for looking into this because of my medical problems.Thanks for helping me out.

bowhunter1432
02-04-2005, 10:31 PM
you should check with your doctor first i would good luck! :rolleyes: