View Full Version : Compost tea sprayers?

01-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Can anyone suggest an affordable compost tea sprayer for a large lawn ( approx 2.5 - 3 acres). I checked - www. rittenhouse.com - but they only have a hand held 4 gal. Hudson for around $100, then the prices jump into the thousands for commercial grade with nothing in between. I know compost tea use is evolving, but you would think some company could come up with an affordable tow behind sprayer for the garden tractor or similar set-up under a grand for large lawns?

I'm told the compost tea sprayers need larger pumps with appropriate seals to work properly, and cannot be applied with conventional spraying equipment.

01-29-2005, 12:58 PM
i use skid sprayers
u need the power and pressure with a good screen and i still get cloged nozels now and then

01-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Your Lesco equipment looks first rate, but is more than I need. Ideally. I would like a mini version I could mount on the back of my 1955 Red-E (a pony tractor similar to the old power kings). Once fitted, I'd like to drive & spray with a shut off reachable from the operator seat. Rittenhouse sells a sprayer that fits to the back of an ATV that looks the part with small size tank, pumps & boom sprayer, but is not suitable for the demands of Compost Tea. I'd also consider using a hand held wand so long as I could operate it from the tractor.

Maybe Compost tea is too new to the general public and hasn't created a strong enough demand for the size equipment I want?

01-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Lesco has a small unit like you describe...I would estimate around $300 and it can be battery run or you could hook it to your tractor. Northern Hydralics web site sells a version.

go to northerntool.com

01-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Here's one at Northern Tools by Agri-Fab. I'm sure there are others.

I know a lady who sprays over 100 gallons per day about 300 days per year. I think she qualifies as an expert. She filters her compost going into the tea but doesn't filter any more after that. Her nozzle doesn't clog because she uses a #20 nozzle. Basically that's like a gaping hole in your tank more than a nozzle. She directs the spray at a steel plate angled at 45 degrees so that it spreads out. She has to drive fast to get the tea sprayed out on the acreage she needs to cover.

01-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Dave - Thanks for the link. Has anyone used the equipment from northerntool for compost tea? The site does not mention tea use. Also, I found another site at www.growingsolutions.com that has a sprayer specially for compost tea that may do the trick. Please keep the suggestions coming.

01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Here's a link I found that carries several inexpensive sprayers. I'm looking for an ATV sprayer myself. Expanding the business, you know. A right bugger finding decent equipment though.-Garth

02-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I strain through cheese cloth when I put it in back packs and they don't clog.
Go to rossfarm.com and ask them what they use for large farms.

02-03-2005, 08:30 AM
David - the Tee Jet XP Boomjet nozzle is the best we have found. It is listed under http:/teejet.com/MS/TeeJet/product_Detail.asp?ID=165&SUB=true. #1/4XP20 will spray 1.42 gal@20psi, at 24" it sprays 9' wide @ 4mph that 19.5 gpa. We have not haqd any problems with these clogging.

02-03-2005, 02:07 PM
OK - I posted a new thread with results of my research on both sprayers & tea makers. I believe the sprayer manufacture "Spotlyte" uses the Teejet nozzles on their products ( teejet does not make spraying units, only parts)

02-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I strain through cheese cloth when I put it in back packs and they don't clog.
Go to rossfarm.com and ask them what they use for large farms.

The lady I was talking about up above is Betsy at rossfarm.com. She sprays 500 acres, 4 times a year. She filters the compost going in but no filtering for the tea. She just used a big honking nozzle.