PDA

View Full Version : Moving dirt

Ssouth
05-17-2000, 10:43 PM
tried to get help on landscape forum but didn't get any replies last week.<br>Will be leveling a burm and want to know how my estimate is. any advice appreciated.<p>To level it will take approx. 40 yards of topsoil. Then I will sod with bermuda.<p>Cost:<br>Topsoil $300<br>tractor rental $150 (two days)<br>Sod $400<br>Labor $980 <br>Total $1830<p>Already bid on and have job. This is my first large leveling job. How is my bid, high or low. The tractor rented will have frontend loader and landscaping box. Plan on having 24 hours of labor. Any comments appreciated.<p>Ssouth<br>Ssouth@hiwaay.net<p>To answer the question did I mark up my materials: On this job I used a formula to calculate final price. The formula is as follows.<br>Price of materials * 2 +20% = total price. I didn't include tractor rental in with materials, it just comes out of the profit.<br>thanks for the replies<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Ssouth

CA Enterprises
05-18-2000, 05:55 AM
Haven't ever bid on anything like that, so I can't help. Just wanted make sure you had a reply. <p>It sounds like a lot of work, but the money seems good to me. It seems a little cheaper for topsoil there than here though.<p>How big of area is this?<p>Sorry I can't really help.<p>Adam:)

Greenkeepers
05-18-2000, 10:08 AM
Did you mark up your materials at all? The leveling shouldn't take that long. I just did a job this weekend and moved 60 ton of topsoil in about 4-5 hours with a bobcat. Your going to be a little slower with the tractor though. Your hourly rate sounds right (bout $40 hr??) <p>Let us know how it goes

southside
05-19-2000, 09:26 AM
If you priced it with the use of the tractor,<br>I would get a bobcat in to do the earthworks.<br>They move faster and you can pocket the cost difference betwwen the two.<p>Karl<br>

Getmow
05-19-2000, 07:11 PM
Go with the Bobcat and DON'T take it from your profits(?) next time.