PDA

View Full Version : choosing new trucks

atproperty
01-29-2005, 09:37 PM
contingent upon signing of contracts my company may be purchasing 3 new trucks.
2005 3500GMC dump rackbody duramax(diesel)
2 -2005 ext. cab GMC Pickups undecided weather 2500hd or 3500.

My question is about what size engine. The 6 liter or the 8. Same HP, and GMC site said same torque? I thought the reason for the 8 would be about torque. The 8 will eat more gas. I am thinking the 6 will be fine.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I,m sure there is some reason for the 8.

More info.- They will be 6 foot beds, they will have plows in the winter and a possibility of spreader. At some point they may tow 20' to 24' enclosed trailer.

I know there are gurus out there that are gonna tear this one up.

LLandscaping
01-29-2005, 09:47 PM
We had a 2002 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas and that truck got horrible gas mileage 9-10 mpg towing. Traded it in for a 2004 Chevy 2500hd Duramax that gets about 14-15 mpg towing. Which ever trucks you buy get the Duramax, it will save you the difference in cost in the added mpg.

green814
01-29-2005, 09:54 PM
I think there is some mixed info on the gmc site. I didn't know they have a 6.0 ho, but this link is for chevy's site. http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/ Hope this helps as I don't have any personal experience w/ the 6.0 or 8.0.
Chris

Bull
01-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Actually make an even better business decision and buy the Ford F-350's with the 6.0 Powerstroke engines. I really think you will eventually see problems out of the Duramax using aluminum engine blocks. Time will tell.

BOTURF
01-29-2005, 09:57 PM
check out www.dieselplace.com

pottstim
01-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Actually make an even better business decision and buy the Ford F-350's with the 6.0 Powerstroke engines. I really think you will eventually see problems out of the Duramax using aluminum engine blocks. Time will tell.

The Duramax diesel engine uses a cast iron block, not aluminum. It does, however, use aluminum heads. I was very skeptical of this at first, but it appears to be working quite well with no problems. The Duramax has had some injector problems in the 2001-2003 trucks. Luckily GM extended warranty coverage on the injectors. It's a good thing since they are roughly $500 each! Multiply that times 8. The new Powerstroke 6.0 has been far from trouble free. They have been plauged with injector problems, software issues, turbo failures, etc. I have been reading on Plowsite.com and pickuptruck.com about 2005 Super Duty owners having cracked transmission housings caused by snap rings coming off inside the transmission. It goes to show you that all manufacturers are having problems.

YardPro
01-30-2005, 06:43 PM
i have an 04 chevy 2500 HD with the tow package.
we have the 6L HO vortec
works fine
gets ok mileage ( not much worse than the 99 s-10 with the 4.3 vortec)

we have the service body. would never buy another truck without a service body.
tons of storage

Oldtimer
01-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Ford Super Duty with the 6.0 will out perform the Duramax and Ford builds a better truck.

wroughtn_harv
01-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Ford Super Duty with the 6.0 will out perform the Duramax and Ford builds a better truck.

The six dot oh does seem to be a horse. But at a hundred and seventy five horsepower in the International they've had a ton of problems with it.

Evidently you haven't compared a F550 to a C5500. The five fifty is closer to a three fifty than it is to their truck, the six fifty. The fifty five hundred doesn't have anything in common with the thirty five hundred.

Ford does make good pickups though.

Gravel Rat
01-30-2005, 11:27 PM
For your 1 ton truck you should consider a F-450 because a regular 1 ton truck just doesn't have the carrying capacity especially after adding a dump body.

I don't like the idea of having aluminum heads on a cast iron block it never works when you have aluminum heating and cooling faster than the cast iron. The head gaskets on the Duramax must go through complete h** I don't trust it.

As for running the 8 litre engine nothing can be as bad as the old 460 Fords that got at best 6mpg. With the 460 if you had 1/4 tank of fuel you better find a gas station quick :laugh:

GLS
01-31-2005, 12:43 AM
It didn't take long for this to turn into a ford vs. chevy debate :dizzy:

As for the 6.0L vs. the 8.1L big block...

6.0L V8 = 300 HP, 360 lb-ft. Torque
8.1L V8 = 330 HP, 450 lb-ft. Torque

I would consider a duramax in all three of them, but if you don't think fuel savings will pay off and you don't need the power, then go for one of the gassers. Check out the dieselplace.com, there are duramax users as well as 6.0L and 8.1L users. They will be able to tell you about fuel economy.

You may also consider a 4500/5500 topkick/kodiak truck. Depending on how you spec it out, it may not cost much more than a 1 ton.

I would like to see one duramax that has had problems with the aluminum heads. It is a great motor in my opinion. The only real problem is the injectors on the early models. They extended the warranty to 200k miles though. Our duramax has had zero problems, now at 70k.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it :)

Oldtimer
01-31-2005, 07:13 AM
Check out the way the head is attached to the block. There are enough bolts to hold it and I understand the D'max will take much more boost than the P'stroke.

International warranties the lower HP version of the P'stroke for 300,000 miles.

My '05 F250 SD CC SWB 4WD King Ranch and it is the best truck I have ever driven. The performance is unbelievable for a 7000 pound truck and when the boost kicks in the feeling is great but the 96 MPH limiter comes too soon.
I will be installing a Predator as soon as the engine really loosens up.

wroughtn_harv
01-31-2005, 07:34 AM
Check out the way the head is attached to the block. There are enough bolts to hold it and I understand the D'max will take much more boost than the P'stroke.

International warranties the lower HP version of the P'stroke for 300,000 miles.

My '05 F250 SD CC SWB 4WD King Ranch and it is the best truck I have ever driven. The performance is unbelievable for a 7000 pound truck and when the boost kicks in the feeling is great but the 96 MPH limiter comes too soon.
I will be installing a Predator as soon as the engine really loosens up.

I hear Ford's getting Navistar into line on the new six dot oh. And in a pickup it is a hoss no doubt. But between their pickups and the real trucks there is a vacancy in the Ford lineup.

When I was shopping I had it narrowed down to an International with a DT466 and the C5500 with the Duramax. I stopped looking at the VT365 International when the dealer casually told me about all the problems they were having with them. That's evidently why they extended the warranty.

The King Ranch is real purty strut truck for a pickup. I'm glad you're happy with it.

Grassmechanic
01-31-2005, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=GLS]I would like to see one duramax that has had problems with the aluminum heads. It is a great motor in my opinion. The only real problem is the injectors on the early models. They extended the warranty to 200k miles though. Our duramax has had zero problems, now at 70k.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it :)[/QUOTE

They had plenty of head gasket issues when that engine first came out. They also have problems with injectors. Go to a GM dealer and look up the service bulletins for the Duramax. My buddy is a service mgr at a GM dealership and he's worked on many a duramax.

MCYoder
01-31-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a duramax and would highly recommend one, but if I didn't get the duramax I would have gone with the 8 liter engine... Post some pics if and when you get the trucks

atproperty
01-31-2005, 02:28 PM
It is funny how the subject kinda changes as you read down the threads.

I would not consider Ford because I have been real happy with GM product.

Thanks for the diesel place link.

Budget decided that we will be going with gassers.

here is the decision, I will post pics after.

1- 3500 ext cab rack body dump 9' bed, 8L,Allison transm.,4.10 ratio. Most likely WT or base accessory package except for heated mirrors for plowing.

2- 3500 ext cab pickups short bed, 8L, Allison transm.,4.10 ratio. SLE package, plow package, roof lights, trailer package.

Hoping on all Red. If they are not available in time for the season, color choice may be forced to change.

mrusk
01-31-2005, 04:21 PM
What ever you do, do not buy a ford. I had my mind set on a ford, but after all the proablems MANY people are having, it ain't worth the risk. You ain't making money if your truck is in the shop!

Matt

kdbrown
01-31-2005, 08:06 PM
payup payup i would not be to pickey may be they should be a yellow and black lol . just kidding red is nice that will be great,just remember red is a common color for trucks .you want something that will catch your eye. :cool2: well good luck getting the trucks .

kdb
lawn master