PDA

View Full Version : competitive pricing

qcms
01-30-2001, 01:25 PM
I am relatively new to the lawn care business. I have many residential accounts and only a couple small commerical accounts. In order to entice new clients has anyone made common practice of offering a "perk" for signing a seasonal contract? By that I mean, offer competitive pricing ( which I realize varies from market to market) for mowing, edging, ect, and then offer to, for example, core airate the lawn in the fall at no charge for signing a contract in the spring?
Any thoughts?? What have you tried??

bobbygedd
01-30-2001, 02:06 PM
one time i offered a free fertilizer application, it seemed to give me a slight edge, by this i mean i know guys who estimated the same jobs, at the same prices, but i ended up getting the work. not sure if this was due to the free fert, or my amazing charm(ha ha)

Guido
01-30-2001, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't work for free, but if you figure in your seasonal rate the right way you could include at least the cost if not a profit for the "free" service and then call it free in the end? I think the F word just gets people all excited, it draws attention because they think they're getting a deal, when in fact everyone else that offers "free" stuff in any other biz is doing the same exact thing I described above.

Good Luck and let us know how everything works out for you.

Atlantic Lawn
02-28-2001, 08:44 PM
Free is a great eye grabber, just make sure you get payed for your free item !

GreenQuest Lawn
02-28-2001, 09:43 PM
That is the key. get paid for free stuff. When i am trying to sign a commercial acct. i will offer to do the owners lawn while he or she is on vacation that summer. it has gotten me 3 new lawns this year. last year I had 4 owners take me up on it. (it was figured in there price already) 3 of them were once and one was twice. and he sent me a gift cert. for dinner. This has worked well for me and i will keep on doing it.