PDA

View Full Version : Can a Company name limit you?

kaufmaninc
01-30-2005, 07:47 AM
In the last few days, i've posted some logo design with the name Grass Roots Lawn Company. Seems I'm getting alot of flack with "Lawn Company " being in the our name. To me, it's a very b-r-o-a-d name and could encompass much.

I would like some feedback on this?

YardPro
01-30-2005, 08:06 AM
we have a grass roots here.

thier name is just grass roots, but under thier name they something else like landscape maintenance and installation

[i personally like the term landscape maintenance as opposed to lawn care.
i feel it expands the precieved services

tonygreek
01-30-2005, 09:11 AM
i think it's fine, but as always, it's a subjective question, and you'll receive subjective answers when you ask for critiques.

you are saying "lawn company", not "lawn care", "lawn maintenance", or "lawn mowing". just the use of "company" broadens out the intent. even if you do landscape installs, it's not a stretch to have people associate it or work it into all of your marketing media.

PMLAWN
01-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Nowhere in our name do we say "lawn"
We are a little different because we also do handyman work and building services,
Under our name we put --"Property Maintenance Services"
We handle some HOAs where we do most every thing for them on the outside including setting up other people to come in and do work we can not handle.
Almost like a property management co. (yes we have a Real Estate brokers lic, for those that were going to ask).
It all depends on what you plan to do in the future. You can also add other services thru other business with other names---kaufmaninc dog walking, A division of Grass Roots.
I would not be to concerned about Lawn or Grass.
I feel you would do more to limit yourself if you used your Name in the title.
And I only think that would come into play if you got REALLY big or wanted to franchise,(and to prove me wrong the next post will ask "what about Wendy"s")
As far as your name I think you will be OK

rodfather
01-30-2005, 10:01 AM
[i personally like the term landscape maintenance as opposed to lawn care.
i feel it expands the precieved services

I agree. And yes, a name can limit the preception of what you have to offer in way of Green Industry services.

LawnsRUsInc.
01-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I would agree with rodfather Our comapany name is Lawns R Us, Inc. We advertise for Landscape Const. and Maint. We get Mainly calls for Landscape installs (grass) and Lawn Maint. For our cont div. We do walls patios etc. and we relly dont get calls from our adveretising for just that mainly the lawn installation and then we make sugestions for walls and patios. I also have a question some people think becasue of the spelling of my co. name we would have a probelm with toys r us trying to sue us what do you think my thooughts is bring it on!

rodfather
01-30-2005, 10:40 AM
I also have a question some people think becasue of the spelling of my co. name we would have a probelm with toys r us trying to sue us what do you think my thooughts is bring it on!

The very first time I saw your name I thought of you having a potential problem with that. Me, I would have researched a little with the help of an attorney to see if there was any legalities down the road before incorporating...

LawnsRUsInc.
01-30-2005, 11:21 AM
I see rodfather I did have an attorney handle my paperwork actually one of my customers that is an attorney he owns one of the largest most cut throat law firms in Milwaukee Wisconsin. My R is not back wards like theirs is. The only thing i can say is that the statue of law says that if the name is close to another company's name and they can prove that I am taking business from them than they can file civil lawsuit against me. (not so much in lames terms) Thanks for the feedback i am just curious.

Jason

rodfather
01-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't think they would stand a chance claiming you were taking away business from them...the two of you are in completely different industries...."infringing" on their name in some way would be something else IMO. Then you would just get a certified letter in the mail to "cease and decest" from what I have either seen or heard.

LawnsRUsInc.
01-30-2005, 11:54 AM
So i should stay away from the mail box LOL. Yea I hear what you are saying.

rodfather
01-30-2005, 03:08 PM
LOL...only time I stay away from the mail box is around Father's Day. :help:

tonygreek
01-30-2005, 03:13 PM
now that kaufman's thread has been hijacked... toys 'r us used to go after any company using that, much in the way that the Lollapalooza festival went after, and were successful, fighting everyone that added "ooza" to their event. haven't read about any lately, but it may be that people got the message.

if i were building a business out of it, i'd track down a good Intellectual Property & Trademark attorney and get their advice. instead of the attitude of "bring it on", you outta clear it up now before building up your brand that may have to go through a costly forced re-branding in the future.

edit:
just did a quick search of the uspto and see that there seems to be a majority of the companies using "r us" as being dead. this could be due to any number of reasons, such as typical business failures or successful litigation by geoffrey the giraffe.