PDA

View Full Version : Stumpgrinders

ghostgunn
01-30-2005, 11:07 AM
I am interested in adding stumpgrinding to my business. WHat should I look for ? Stay Away from? What is the general maintaince on these ? ANy info would be appreciated.

MP350
01-30-2005, 09:10 PM
You have to look for a grinder that you pull with a truck, so most of the time you will need a 4x4. You have to have room in the yard for your truck & grinder to fit in order to grind the stump, you need room in the truck to place the grindings. I charge $3.00 per inch for stumps and grind approximately 4 stumps per month.

rosolar
02-01-2005, 11:50 AM
do you mean $3 per sq. inch? if so, isn't that low? How many inch is an avg stump you grind.

MP350
02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Measure the widest part of the stump and X3 you get your price, I do have a $75 buck minimum. That's the going price in my neck of the woods.

D Felix
02-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Why just $3/inch?

Think about it. You charge $3/inch whether it's a 4" stump or a 12" stump... Hmmm, a 4" stump would have an area of 12.56 square inches. A 12" stump has an area of 113.04 inches. So a stump that is 3 times bigger diameter-wise has an area that is 9 times bigger. And yet you charge the same amount? Makes no sense to me, especially when you consider that there are bigger, and possibly more roots on the bigger stumps.......

As for pricing, I don't remember who posted thier figures, but someone had a breakdown of different sizes of stumps and how much was charged for each size. Plus minimums, that's very important too, IMO.

IMHO, stump grinding probably isn't worth getting into full-time, unless you have a tree company you are subbing for. It's a lot of drive time, for very little $$, especially if you are going to buy a $15k (or more) machine.

Dan

Anthony Orlando
02-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Why dont you just buy a grinder for your skidloader?