PDA

View Full Version : Corsaire

DFW Area Landscaper
01-30-2005, 10:29 AM
I am in the DFW area and 99% of the lawns here are bermuda. It never fails, along the foundation of almost every home, we get wild annual rye.

The last two winters, I've never treated it and it hasn't been much of a problem because it's all dead by mid-May or so.

The problem is, there is a somewhat new trend with some of the LCO's here in town. What they're doing is they're overseeding their customers lawn with rye for free in the winters so they can generate mowing revenues during the winter. They never do it right and they always look horrible. But anyway, if the customer doesn't overseed again the next year, they get little sprouts of wild fescue all over the lawn. About one little weed every square foot or so. Looks horrible.

So this year, I paid a hundred bucks for a bottle of Corsaire. For rye, the price isn't too bad, but to control fescue, you have to use five times as much ai.

Anyway, we sprayed everything at the fescue rate. 3.5 weeks later, still nothing. It looks like maybe the plants are turning a lighter shade of green. They might be showing small signs of stress. But nothing's dead yet.

How long do I have to wait?

Also, for other weed & feed operations with dormant bermuda lawns, how are you treating the lawns that were overseeded a year ago but not this year? Are you charging extra? How much extra on a normal 4-5K lawn?

Thanks,
DFW Area Landscaper

spray guy
01-30-2005, 04:27 PM
I believe corsaires chemistry is similar to other sulfontated ureas. Its a slow process almost like a growth regulator effect. Revolver works similiar to corsaire as well. Years back I use to use lescos TFC ( tall fescue control ), it worked pretty decent. The best advice I have would be to let your customer know that there is a better time to keep fescue from coming up and that would be in mid september - apply kerb, pronamide is the active ingredient. Apply again in mid december so that it stays clean all spring during the cool weather. If you do a good job in the fall/winter with kerb, the ryes and fescues will not have a chance of pushing forward.

ThreeWide
01-30-2005, 04:29 PM
It is very possible that your soil temperatures are not favorable for the Corsair taking effect on the target. If the target grass isn't growing in some form, it will take much longer to see results.

Revolver is more effective than Corsair, but it is also very expensive.

If you are certain your target is indeed annual ryegrass, a much cheaper product to try is Simazine. It is actually a pre-emergent but has post capabilities as well. For example, in January you can apply it to Bermuda as a pre and post for Poa Annua. I just sprayed several Bermuda properties with it in the last couple of weeks that were somewhat infested with Poa and broadleafs. It should have decent control the rye as well.

That would take care of the situation where a lawn was overseeded last year, but had some sparse rye coming back. Spray Simazine in October, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Only apply Simazine when the Bermuda is in some stage of dormancy, and not anytime near Spring greenup.

ThreeWide
01-30-2005, 05:30 PM
In the last post, I mistakenly dwelled too much on ryegrass and didn't notice your main problem was with fescue.

Simazine will severely injure the fescue, but will not provide complete control. If the infestation isn't too widespread, I normally just spot them with glyhposate.