PDA

View Full Version : cabovers

franniedog
01-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Would like to hear from people who have switched to cabovers and what their choice of bed was for the body.Would be interested as to why they made these choices and if they are happy now that they did.

paponte
01-31-2005, 09:55 PM
We have a UD 1800HD with a 14' grain body, that we use for maintenance as well as a leaf truck. During the maintenance season it pulls an 18' enclosed trailer, and turns better than any small pick up with the trailer on. I can say hands down they are very versitle trucks, and wouldn't hesitate buying another. :)

gene gls
01-31-2005, 11:15 PM
I have a Mitsi with the short wheel base,10' platform dump,and a locker in the rear. It was the cheapest work truck I could buy at the time. The wheel base is shorter than my Chevy 2500 and can haul 3 ton. It would be a toss up if I would buy another.

Gene

lawn king
02-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Isuzu npr hd diesel, Knapeheide landscape dump with knapeheide tool pack. 9 ft. snoway plow. 14500 # gvw 6500 lb payload, Best truck we ever built. The next one will be an nrr with 10000 # payload. Check out the body at knapeheide.com!

scott's turf
02-01-2005, 08:33 AM
I just purchased a W3500 cabover a couple of weeks ago. Have not had a chance to work the truck yet but I did notice one thing that I will have to fix. We jaul and enclosed trailer and I noticed that if the truck is steer hard there is a possibility of the corner of the dump damaging the front of the trailer.

gene gls
02-01-2005, 09:46 PM
I have that problem. Its worse when there is a dip between the two areas you are turning into. Also, watch out for the tail swing on the trailer when you make a sharp "U" turn. I wiped out a planter barrel one day and never knew it. The lady was not happy.

Gene

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
02-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Check out the superlawn trucks they are a sponser here. I drove down to there facility and looked there trucks over myself. 4 hr drive was worth it. I WILL be switching to there trucks ASAP. Gary Fellows can give you some great info.

morturf
02-02-2005, 01:22 AM
I own 2 cabovers. One Chevy W-4 1997 and a 2004 Isuzu. The Chev is a 16 ft. custom flatbed the Isuzu had a 16 ft. custom enclosed box. I would not trade this type of truck for any other for this type of work. They are maneuverable and efficient. You will not look back if you get one. Don't forget that Ford and International are coming out with a cabover this year too. These look like pretty nice trucks too and are the same truck with a different badge. I personally think that the SLT is a little overpriced for what you get. Look at a body builder locally for a price what you might want for a price on a truck. Good luck

franniedog
02-02-2005, 08:45 AM
I bought the 2005 Isuzu nqr with a custom dump and go body.Except for afew minor things I totally love this truck and what it allows me to do with less help.I wll never go back to pulling trailer which I did for 23 years.The visibility is beyond compare and I think it is a lot of fun driving a cabover.I will say the truck is really sluggush up steep grades but I really did not buy it to speed up hills.On level ground and on highway with the overdrive even loaded it moves right along.I especially like the jake brake for decelerating.

D Felix
02-02-2005, 09:19 AM
We're looking into possibly getting a cabover this spring, but we aren't sure what brand at this point. We've checked into the Isuzu's and have gotten some information on the Ford's. We've gotten quotes on 2 Isuzu's, the Ford, and 2 Internationals, and they are all right in the same ballpark.

The biggest appeal for us is that you can get a much longer bed on the same wheelbase as a normal chassis cab truck. One downside we've found out so far is that the engines are much smaller on the cabovers. Even the new Ford/International has a smaller engine than the Powerstrokes in the F-series.

How heavy of a trailer has anyone pulled with their cabover? If we won't be able to pull 10k, we'll have to go a different route.

Dan