PDA

View Full Version : 7.3L Starting Problem... Help?

Canadian GreenScape
01-31-2005, 10:56 AM
I got a question about my 7.3L F350 engine. I just got the truck (its a '94) and it had been starting great. The other night on the way to plow it started right up.. I hooked up my trailer to haul my JD that I use for blowing snow and shut the truck off with the running lights on for maybe 10min. When I went to re-start it there was nothing.. after lots of attepts at charging it, boosting it Im not sure whats wrong. At first it would turn over slow maybe 2-3 times but now its totall dead and makes a click once every time the key is turned. (click comes from the pass side) The amp meter shows some power and the plugs heat up and the interior light comes on (not sure if that helps) Anyone know what I need to do? New batteries?

Thanks.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-31-2005, 11:00 AM
I think the battery is bad or possably have a bad connection somewhere

Edgewater
01-31-2005, 12:09 PM
I have a 7.3 and the following sequence always works on mine
1) Load test both bats and make sure the is 12 or more volts.

2) Have someone turn the key and make sure there is power on the small spark plug type conector on the pass fender solenoid. If there is no 12v on the small single wire, the ignition switch at the foot of the steering column is bad.

3) use jumper cables and go from bat pos terminal to the started lead at the fender mounted solonoid. (this bypasses your ign switch and tests starter and the solonoid in the starter.) If that doesen't get it to crank fast, clean all the wires and or have the starter checked.

If you need anything else, let me know

Canadian GreenScape
01-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks a ton for the help. Ill check those things right away. Not having to buy new battereis would be great.

Shadetree Ltd
01-31-2005, 02:41 PM
You cannot go wrong checking out The Diesel Stop .COM for advice on your Ford. I would guess it is your CPS, here is a link to a web page that describes what to look for and how to do it. http://www.forgotton.net/mods/cps.html

Scott

Ford_Forgotton
01-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Im going to lean towards a combination of bad batteries and OR weak/bad alternator.

A CPS failure does not cause the truck to "crank slowly". Only bad/weak batteries will cause a truck to crank slowly.

Remove the batteries and let them sit for 15 minutes, then check with a volt meter, if the battery is less than 12.4 volts, it is weak/dead/dying.

Batteries have about a 5 year service life. They should also be replaced in PAIRS. Only replacing one battery will unbalance the system. The older battery will draw the new battery down.

Once you get the truck started, you should load test the alternator and make sure it is putting out 14 volts and lots of amperage. An auto parts store should provide free load testing.

If the batteries test ok, then you may have a bad starter relay, or a bad starter.

Daryl
www.forgotton.net
2000 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel 4x4 crewcab shortbed

AlbeLawn
02-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Tap or hit the starter a couple of times and see if that works. You might have a bad starter and all it takes sometimes is getting the bad spot on it to move. use a hammer or something blunt, it just takes a little.

Canadian GreenScape
02-01-2005, 10:13 AM
I got the starter and the batteries tested this morning and both were good to go.. the batteries got a full charge at the shop so apparently my charger is broken. Ill hook everything up and see what happens from there. Maybe my alt.. or that CPS thing?

Eric 1
02-02-2005, 12:47 PM
It sounds like the ign. switch is bad.

lwcmattlifter
02-02-2005, 12:58 PM
CPS would not make for slow or no cranking. If the CPS is bad the engine will crank normally but the tach will not register any RPMs. Check to make sure you don't have a bad ground or you battery cables are broken. There are a lot of cables going from battery to battery and starter. How many CCA's are the batteries?

Shadetree Ltd
02-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be the alternator, the shop said it had a bad diode. I was doubtful but once the alternator was replaced it ran fine.

Scott

mowingtowing
02-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Make sure the starter mounting bolts are tight, they are the ground for the starter. A bad ign switch wont cause a no start with a click (probably the starter relay or the starter pull in winding). Hitting the starter might work but is not recomended these days. If the batteries tested good make sure they all have good connections (both + and -) and maybe do a voltage drop test to find out where the problem is.
A bad ac generator (alternator) wont cause a no start with the circumstances you describe, if a diode is bad in the alternator you be charging the batteris with some a/c voltage which will eventually kill your batteries.

How was your starter tested? How were your batteries tested?

HayBay
02-06-2005, 11:44 PM
How cold was it where you where that day? 10 minutes is a short time to kill a good battery. Having 15w-40 in that diesel of yours in the winter time can cause engine cranking issues. If you do have a thicker oil in there try using a Diesel Rated 10w30 for winter use.