PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Insurance

evont22
01-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Hey I have a question about trailer insurance. I am from Indiana and the law here does not require trailer insurance to get plates on it, because the tow vehicles insurance covers it while its hooked up, but what I am wondering is what covers it if it is parked at the job site not hooked up, and say it is stolen? Is their actual trailer only insurance? Thanks-

Evan Taylor
E.T.'s Mowing & Lawn Care
99' Dodge 2500 - Dodge makes it Cummins shakes it. :D
02' 14k dump trailer
00' 7x16 cargo express enclosed
04 72' Exmark w/ striper bar
743 Bobcat
04 Polaris Ranger w/ 6' plow
Stihl blower, saws, weed-eaters

Soupy
01-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I would assume it would be covered under your equipment coverage. You might want to talk to your insurance agent, and ask them if you need the trailer itemized on your policy. I have large items itemized then all smaller equipment fall under a contractors policy I have. This covers all tools up to $5,000 if stolen.

evont22
01-31-2005, 04:31 PM
thanks- I will call him and see. Thanks

specialtylc
01-31-2005, 09:09 PM
In my state, and I bet most are the same. If it is a commercial vehicle towing it, as in lawn mowing truck of any kind, the trailer must be listed and insured separately. For NON business use, many insurance companies will cover a trailer for liability only.

GrassBustersLawn
01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
EVAN -

you said "I am from Indiana and the law here does not require trailer insurance to get plates on it, because the tow vehicles insurance covers it while its hooked up"

To make sure everything is CLEAR, it is only covered for LIABILITY while hooked up to your truck. The LIABILITY COVERAGE goes with the truck (in case you sideswiped another car, for example.) However, there is NO PHYSICAL DAMAGE COVERAGE for your TRAILER afforded by your TRUCK POLICY. (For damage caused to trailer if you sideswiped someone, or if you left it at job site and it was stolen.) YOU NEED TO HAVE IT ADDED to your policy for PHYSICAL DAMAGE. Depending on the value, you may be able to have it added to your EQUIPMENT FLOATER (the same thing that covers your mowers and other expensive equipment). CALL YOUR AGENT to find out how much it costs and if it is worth covering. ALSO make sure your mowers & other expensive items are covered with a CONTRACTOR'S EQUIPMENT FLOATER. I've heard of lots of guys on this site having their whole trailer stolen with mowers, blowers, trimmers, etc. in it. IF you don't have this coverage you are S. O. L. !

Mike

lx665
01-31-2005, 10:19 PM
In Virginia trailer insurance is cheap. Mine runs around thirty dollars a year.

John

Smithers
02-01-2005, 11:26 PM
i got quotes from $10/yr to $30/yr.if it towable, and dont have it, it's not covered in Auto insurance