PDA

View Full Version : Feed grade urea

Brandyanna
01-31-2005, 06:45 PM
I was looking for a small prill N source for a very light early spring appl while soil temps are down. Anybody have any experience or opinion on feed grade urea used for a granular app.

Ric
01-31-2005, 07:43 PM
I was looking for a small prill N source for a very light early spring appl while soil temps are down. Anybody have any experience or opinion on feed grade urea used for a granular app.

Brandyanna

Feed Grade Urea Is water soluble and 100 % fast release. It also require some microbe activity to be available to the plant. Microbes are more active at higher soil temp. Now you are interested in a light Application. You might find that hard to do evenly. A standard spreader is not designed to put down that small of a prill. Lesco makes a 46-0-0 spreadable Urea, that might better suit your needs. The big difference is the prill size. Or you may find it easier to spray Food grade Urea.

Yes Commercial Live stock is fed straight Urea as a protein source. Generally this is a supplement mixed into a grain feed. The Tree Hugger could have a field day with some of the other Hormones that are also added.

Brandyanna
02-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Brandyanna

Feed Grade Urea Is water soluble and 100 % fast release. It also require some microbe activity to be available to the plant. Microbes are more active at higher soil temp. Now you are interested in a light Application. You might find that hard to do evenly. A standard spreader is not designed to put down that small of a prill. Lesco makes a 46-0-0 spreadable Urea, that might better suit your needs. The big difference is the prill size. Or you may find it easier to spray Food grade Urea.

Yes Commercial Live stock is fed straight Urea as a protein source. Generally this is a supplement mixed into a grain feed. The Tree Hugger could have a field day with some of the other Hormones that are also added.

Thanks Ric,

I have a hand held spreader that I have had good success with spreading small prill 21-0-0 with, I will do a test and see if it will spread evenly down at the rate I am after. My reason for not using a larger prill was I thought at under .5 lb N per 1000 sq. ft I would not get enough down to get uniform greening. I am trying to get just a little greening before my organic N source kicks in with warmer temps.

Ric
02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks Ric,

I have a hand held spreader that I have had good success with spreading small prill 21-0-0 with, I will do a test and see if it will spread evenly down at the rate I am after. My reason for not using a larger prill was I thought at under .5 lb N per 1000 sq. ft I would not get enough down to get uniform greening. I am trying to get just a little greening before my organic N source kicks in with warmer temps.

Bradyanna

Stay with the 21-0-0 Ammonium sulfate if you want fast green up in cooler soil temp. I am not going into a Fertilizer Lesson here with the reasons why. You will just have to buy My book when it is done. But (NH4)2SO4 is more available to the Plant than (NH2)2CO

dishboy
02-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Bradyanna

Stay with the 21-0-0 Ammonium sulfate if you want fast green up in cooler soil temp. I am not going into a Fertilizer Lesson here with the reasons why. You will just have to buy My book when it is done. But (NH4)2SO4 is more available to the Plant than (NH2)2CO

When are you publishing Ric

Ric
02-01-2005, 11:31 PM
When are you publishing Ric

Dishboy

There is no need to hit the EDIT button and rewrite your post. Your first reply is the one that is e-mailed. Yes they have banned me from the orgasmic forum. But that doesn't mean I am totally against orgasm.:D I only disagree with all the misinformation that they spew there. I actually incorporate organic fertilizer into my program. The big difference between me and the moderator who banned me is. I actually have a degree in horticulture, work in the Green Industry and have taught college level horticulture. He is a retired Government civil engineer with no experience in the green industry.

Now to answer your Question about salt index of Ammonium Sulfate vs Urea. In Fact sodium nitrate is the base from which the salt index is based and give it a value of 100. Urea is in fact 1/2 the salt content of Ammonium Sulfate. Your 1 pound Urea per thousand in the fall will in fact be more damaging to those Microbes because of the long winter than the 1/2 pound of Ammonium Sulfate in the spring, which is absorbed by the turf very quickly. The Urea must be converted by microbial activity to NO3 before it can be absorbed by the turf. As the winter soil temperature decreases so does the microbial activity. Ammonium Sulfate is readily available to the turf plant and is absorbed quickly. 1/2 pound of AS has the same amount of salt as 1 pound of urea. But the difference is the time of year that effects the damage that the tree huggers think is caused.

It is not what you use, But how and when you use it.

Ric
02-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Dishboy

Let me also add that the 24% sulfur in Ammonium Sulfate has a salt cleaning effect on the exchange sites. We treat salt spray on ocean front property with straight sulfur.

timturf
02-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Bradyanna

I want a FREE signed version!

Send another one to bobby!

Ric
02-02-2005, 06:54 PM
I want a FREE signed version!

Send another one to bobby!

Tim

If I ever finish it. I will charge Booby twice and pass the savings on to you.

AlpineNaturescapes
02-03-2005, 02:56 AM
"Let me also add that the 24% sulfur in Ammonium Sulfate has a salt cleaning effect on the exchange sites. We treat salt spray on ocean front property with straight sulfur."

Ammonium sulfate has one of the highest salt indexes of any fertilizer. Also the most acidifying per pound of N.
For the quickest green in cool weather, use a fert with ammonium NITRATE -- still relatively cheap. Will last about 4-6 weeks.

timturf
02-03-2005, 03:57 AM
Tim

If I ever finish it. I will charge Booby twice and pass the savings on to you.

Guess nothing is free anymore, any way, thanks ric and booby!

Ric
02-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Ammonium sulfate has one of the highest salt indexes of any fertilizer. Also the most acidifying per pound of N.
For the quickest green in cool weather, use a fert with ammonium NITRATE -- still relatively cheap. Will last about 4-6 weeks.

Alpine

Do both forms of Nitrogen side by side in a test plot. Hello, Which one has the Rich Darker Green Color???

timturf
02-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Alpine

Do both forms of Nitrogen side by side in a test plot. Hello, Which one has the Rich Darker Green Color???

Are we fertilizing for color?

GroundKprs
02-03-2005, 11:00 AM
LOL, Tim. In FLA they just fertilize for this week. :rolleyes: Fert is all gone next week anyhow.

Ric
02-03-2005, 11:00 AM
[/COLOR]

Are we fertilizing for color?

No Tim

We are fertilizing for a flush of weak growth to feed insect and exacerbate fungus.

Ric
02-03-2005, 11:05 AM
LOL, Tim. In FLA they just fertilize for this week. :rolleyes: Fert is all gone next week anyhow.

Jim

The Truth Hurts. :cry:

Ric
02-03-2005, 11:24 AM

BTW Jim

You need to list every piece of equipment you own in your signature, down to the last set of hand shears. How else are we going to know your a real professional. :D

timturf
02-03-2005, 11:40 AM

He stated his location was: east coast,. where is that? Florida or maine?

Jim,
I didn't realize they fert every week, what a gold mine! I'm packing my bags, heading south!

Ric,
I thought everbody fertilized for a strong, health grass plant, but I see in florida, you fertilize for flush growt, which makes turf weak and suculent, primed for weed, insects, and fungus problems! Guess that increase mowing and pest revenue!

Wunder if that will work in va. maybe I should try it first here, if it works, sure would be easier than moving to florida. Can I moved south of the tampa area, heard that was nice area, at least before hurricanes arrived!

btw, I'll have to list all my equipment so you know I'm a professional!
tim

Ric
02-03-2005, 01:01 PM
"Let me also add that the 24% sulfur in Ammonium Sulfate has a salt cleaning effect on the exchange sites. We treat salt spray on ocean front property with straight sulfur."

Alpine

Re reading your post I realized pH may be a real problem in your area. Potassium Nitrate or Calcium Nitrate will in fact help rise pH and give you that spring Flush that is a much stronger growth. However they are not cheap or that much less in salt content.

Since warm season turf needs a Spring push un-like cool season which the spring green up is done in the fall. I used Liquid AS and Pot Nite as my supplement fertilizer. Yes they are both high in salt but our soil is sandy and I only apply in foliar at a foliar rate.

YardPro
02-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Dishboy

Yes they have banned me from the orgasmic forum. But that doesn't mean I am totally against orgasm.:D I only disagree with all the misinformation that they spew there. I actually incorporate organic fertilizer into my program. The big difference between me and the moderator who banned me is. I actually have a degree in horticulture, work in the Green Industry and have taught college level horticulture. He is a retired Government civil engineer with no experience in the green industry.

LOL i could not agree more. organic has a place, but having a degree in biology, i get a kick out of some of the informaton they try and pass off.