PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion of the perfect residential lawn care ZTR and why!

KB
01-30-2001, 07:06 PM
I have just sold my walkbehind to purchase a rider so that I can be more productive and pick up larger lawns. Give me your opinion of the perfect residential ZTR (I cut only residentials part time). Money is no issue. I am leaning towards the Exmark Lazer HP (48" or 52"). Base your opinion on personal experience if you can. I cut lawns that are generally no bigger than 1 acre.

Eric ELM
01-30-2001, 07:11 PM
If you have all fairly flat lawns, a 50" size would be good. If you have any steeper spots on lawns, a 60" would be better for stability. Go Demo all major brands in your area and see what you like best. Demo Demo Demo

[Edited by Eric ELM on 01-30-2001 at 06:14 PM]

Lawnworks
01-30-2001, 07:19 PM
I would get a 52". The bigger the better. I moved from a 48" to a 60" on residential lawns w/ no problem.

65hoss
01-30-2001, 07:58 PM
I have the 52" Lazer HP. I do about 80% residential and I use it on all of them. I have the 36" exmark for gates, but only need it for about 10 lawns. I can maneuver it well around just about anything. For the larger lawns, it eats up distances with a great cut quickly. It makes this unit great for large and small lawns. I have the ultra vac for leaf season. It does a great job.

bababooie
01-30-2001, 09:52 PM
hows that ultra vac for grass clippings, when its damp?

65hoss
01-30-2001, 10:10 PM
Mine has done very well in wet conditions. Because of the tapper of the bags, it empties very easy. Wet leaves or grass are a snap to empty.

bababooie
01-30-2001, 10:17 PM
3 questions:
it looks to bulky how close can you get to trees and houses and other objects with that vac on.
how much does it cost.
how much does the bags on the back hold, and do you know when they are full.

thanks alot.

BUSHMASTER
01-31-2001, 12:14 AM
kb.... how many of your yards have fences that would restrice the use of a large mower........how many trees and obsticales do u have to contend with?......here in cols. most of my lwans are 7ooo-20000 sqft..lots of trees and other things to go around....i still own a 36" walk behind and as long as there are hill side to cut or those not soo nice yards i'll keep it....i own a walker it works great cuts down on triumming time which ould happen with an outfront deck model....leaves no problem ...cleanups no problem.........i love it i also have a dc with a much wider deck but don't us it much be cause of size...my walker has a 42" deck a bagger and a mulch....what are the
mowers in your area used by the lsc? what dealers do you have acsees to? and are you going new or used? just my thougts.

Cutter1
01-31-2001, 01:17 AM
bababooie....I have a ultra vac too. It works great with grass and leaves. When the grass is real wet and long it clogs every so often, but you have that on anything. It costs $1200 for the small one, and I think $1500 for the bigger vac unit. Its a little wider and longer with it on, so it takes a little getting use to. I was going around a tree when I first got it and nipped a tree. Some practice with it and you know what to do with it, just like anything else. Its pretty easy to tell when its full. A.It doesn't bag anymore and stuff is shooting out. B.YOur popping wheelies!!. C. Turn your head around and look at the bags, if they look full empty them. They hold a lot of grass and leaves, I'm very happy with it, just like 65hoss.

65hoss
01-31-2001, 01:20 AM
Bababooie,
It is about 1 ft out on the right side. Since the trimming side is on the left it doesn't effect that. It only takes a couple of minutes to get the feel of the extra over the right side. I use it around trees and houses all the time. The bags hold 32 gal. each. You learn or have a sense when its time to empty. Plus, the bags are within arms reach if you are wondering. The 2 bag system runs around $1200.

bababooie
01-31-2001, 01:02 PM
thanks for all the replies fellas.

double e
01-31-2001, 01:23 PM
Out of all my commercial mowers, one of my fav. is my Woods mower. I have last years model, 25hp with a 60" deck. I went from a 48 to 60 and had no problem. One thing I love is it has a hydrolic deck, I can move my deck up and down, any measurement. I also like my two toro w/b but I know your looking for a rider.

There are many good riders- look for good reliable dealer
My Woods dealer is 2 miles up the road but is so slow on geting parts. I love the mower, but next mower will be a Toro Z, because of dealer

LJ lawn
01-31-2001, 09:35 PM
in my opinion they haven't made the PERFECT residential mower yet.it's just a fantasy.would be too expensive to build and way too expensive for the consumer.thats why you need a few different mowers for different circumstances.

Davis TLC
01-31-2001, 09:46 PM
KB,

My advice is to Demo as many mowers as you can on your properties. Then you can decide which one works the best for you.

Mowman
02-01-2001, 10:39 AM
KB,
I bought a Walker last June and I'm very happy with it. It's a 54" SD deck. I use it on every lawn I have. I only get 21" off the trailer once a week. With the out-front deck design trimming is kept to a minimum.
It's like everyone else says go out and try out all of them and chose the one you like the best.
Good Luck,
Mowman