PDA

View Full Version : Mulching with Gravely

AlpineNaturescapes
02-01-2005, 04:07 AM
I know there are lots of you who use Gravely. What do you think about the mulching capablities of the PM 260Z or similar Z turn. Do they mulch up the competition? Thanks in advance.

Stinger
02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I have a pm260z with factory mulch kit installed. This is the second year I've run it and still find myself not overly impresses. It seems the lower you cut yields the best results when devouring leaves. First you must exchange the baffle out under the deck and bolt the mulch plate over the chute to install the kit. So its more of a dedicated (seasonal) set up due to time involved to go from open to closed chute. Plus I have run both gators and the factory mulching blades that come with the kit and can't tell any much difference. My opinion is the mulching capability of the 260z is moderate to poor in comparison to walker, exmark and others. I've run Toro from day one and still love the old recycler mulching deck. My 44 Toro w/b can make a yard look (just bagged).

Mowingman
02-01-2005, 12:09 PM
We have customers who are mulching with Gravelys, and are using only a cover plate over the discharge opening, and mulching blades. They are not using the full mulch kit, as they want to easily change from mulching to side discharge several times each week. They say it mulches vrey nicely with this setup. They are mulching Bermuda and St. Augustine grasses. It does leave a small trail on th discharge side. The say it is not bad, and they just blow the trail away with a blower as they finish up.

Precision
02-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Even my dealer admits that if you want to mulch well, you probably don't want to buy a gravely.

They say they are working on it, but their idea of an OCDC is a flap bolted into place. I love my mower, but some of their engineers should be shot.