PDA

View Full Version : Buying wholesale?

Green Acres
01-30-2001, 07:23 PM
If you buy materials from a place for wholesale then sell them to your customers at retail are you suppose to add sales tax? Is there anything else you need to have or know before doing this? I know I need to call my acct. but thought I would ask you guys first. Since most of you have been there before. Thanks

turfquip
01-30-2001, 08:08 PM
Yes. But not until you have been assigned a sales and use tax permit number. That's something you need to acquire right away if you intend to be a legitimate business person.

Your state department of commerce can advise or ask your accountant about it.

Atlantic Lawn
02-28-2001, 09:32 PM
I think the term is ultimate consumer, they pay the sales tax. I know of some guys who go ahead and pay the tax even when they buy at the wholesaler and don't worry about filing the forms for sales and use tax.

Island Lawn
02-28-2001, 10:03 PM
Check w/ the local office of your state's dept. of rev.
I did. The auditor told me not to worry about it. To "keep things simple". Good news to me, but a friend of mine in the bus that has taken a few dept of rev seminars seems concerned that I may have gotten bad advice.

Rex Mann
02-28-2001, 11:00 PM
In ohio when you collect sales tax you have to send it in either quarterly or monthly. Depends on the amount you collect in a specific time.

I just pay the tax only 5.5% in my county(in Ohio each county sets its own tax rate).

I add it in to cost of goods sold.

One less form my CPA has to file and less information I have to provide to him.

Rex

GroundKprs
02-28-2001, 11:29 PM
In most states the laws are worded so the ultimate consumer - the entity that gets final use - of any product is to pay the sales/use tax. In IN you can pay the tax on materials yourself and charge the end user a flat fee only if the materials cost to you is less than 10% of the final cost to end user. Exception: in the case of fertilization services, no matter what the materials cost, the whole charge to end user is taxable.

If you pay $10 and pay tax, then resell at $20 to end user with no tax, the state will take the position that they have lost tax revenue on the $10 markup. If you are audited, you will be charged for this. Landscaper in our area did not charge tax on plants sold for many years. When state finally caught up with him, cost him bigtime. It is surely simpler to pay tax and not charge customer, but it can be costly down the road.