PDA

View Full Version : Walker's 74" deck...anybody have one?

walker-talker
02-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Just curious how they cut and how do you like them? I have a chance on bidding some large commercial properties and wondered how they perform. It would be pushed by a 26efi.

Anyone?

grass-scapes
02-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I had considered buying the 74 inch deck, but it seems that it would have trouble discharging. I found a good deal on a 56, though and I love it. it is set up the same way as the 74, gear drive, timed blades. I don't think a 74 will save you much time, adn I think you would have a heck of a time changing out the deck in the field. the 56 is heavy, I can imagine what the 74 weighs. you have to use a long bar to lift both of those decks as it is.
Think of your trailer space too....6 feet is pretty wide.

jgtxusa
02-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I know that the 62 is a belt drive, but I had one on a 20 and a 26 and the machines would not push them very well. They did great in winter rye and thinner St. Augustine, but would not go but maybe 3mph through the Texas bermuda. Now I think Walker is the best mower out there, but it is not a production machine for bigger accounts. Not trying to cut down your idea, I tryed to do the same thing and it just did not work out because you can cut more grass with an equally sized walk behind. Look at a ZTR or another outfront and get faster for that production. I promise you will save the money just in time. You could cut better maybe in your areas conditions, but it was hard for me. Now bagging or using the 52 or smaller decks on the Walker is unbeatable. Best cut by miles in front of any other mower. Easiest and most comfortable for me also. I have all new Scags for my crews now, but the original boys really miss the Walker that we had. Holler if you have any questions.

Mowingman
02-01-2005, 09:36 PM
I love my Walker, but I feel that that big deck would just kill your production due to the weight the mower is pushing. I tried a demo 52"?, I think it was, on my 20HP Walker, and it was really slow, and struggled in making turns. not nearly as fast as my old 22Hp midmount ZTR with a 60' deck. If you need that size deck on a front mount machine, then I would go with a Grasshopper front deck, with a 28HP Kubota diesel. The cut is very nice, and you will run circles around the Walker. Disclaimer: I am a Grasshopper dealer, but also own and run a Walker, which I like very much.

bigdaddyspags
02-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Anyone have any comments about the walker gear driven decks verses the walker belt drive models?

brucec32
02-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Since we have a collection of Walker users here, how about another question?

Do the Walker mulching decks work well? I got their promotional video and info on the new wb model and the mower is pretty impressive, with some complimentary abilities to my mid-mount ZTR (hill holding, trimmability, light weight, articulating deck, etc).

I will never go back to collecting clippings, had good results mulching with Exmark decks, and the 42" mulcher is just the right size. I have a 16hp Briggs Vanguard on a 44" toro deck and it has been a really good engine, so I assume it has the power for the gear driven deck on the 42" smaller walker.

walker-talker
02-02-2005, 02:53 AM
Yeah...I wondered about the 26efi and it's ability to turn the blades on that 74". I run the 52" deck and love it. With the double blade set up it works great. Thanks for the input.

mrgreeninc
02-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I have a 74" deck and it works great. I have a 26 efi with a speed up kit and it runs it with no problems, it just uses more gas but the same power is still there. I run a double blade setup and it still has plenty of power. Also my blower is still running when I use it. It leaves a better cut than any of there decks. I can mow 4-5 acres per hour with it. Here are some pictures of what the quality of cut looks like.

JR

walker-talker
02-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Those pics looks nice...I am glad you posted a response. That above pic is from a dealer that is asking $5450 for that mower. It has 950 hours on it and that's about all I know. The deck looks new and runs about $2500 (I think). That would be less that $3K for the tractor. I didn't think that was too bad of a price. I could put my 52" deck on it when I didn't need the 74".

Mowingman
02-02-2005, 10:46 AM
That is a good looking used Walker, but you would not be able to collect if you wanted to use it for bagging, like for fall cleanups.
I just happen to have a used Walker for sale myself, if you are wanting one with the GHS. I have a model MT,20HP, lights, wide tires, big hopper, curb ramp, no catch deflector, and TWO decks. One deck is a 48"GHS deck, and the other is a 42" mulching deck. It is a 98 model, with 1100hrs on it. The 42" deck is a 2004 model, with about 250hrs on it. Whole rig is in excellent condition. Will sell it all for $5200.00. Located 30 miles north of Dallas. I can deliver it most anywhere for trip expense money. Drop me an email if interested. jthomasmet@verizon.net

grass-scapes
02-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I did forget to mention that I have the 26 hp efi walker. there isn't a bit of difference in the cutting with a 56 as a 48. Don't know about the 74. I cut through high grass with mine and if I had less than the 26, I know it would bog down.

bigdaddyspags
02-05-2005, 06:53 AM
How is the 74" on scalping? If you have "not so flat" accounts.

twiggy
02-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Bought a 74 in. deck last year ran it on both 26 efi. and the 25 hp. liquid no problem with power even in tall grass. Cut quality and grass disbursment was excellent. Scalping and mowing problems were an issue with uneven terrain. The only downside was the time factor using the walker and if you need to change height adjustments it is almost a two man job due to the weight of the deck. I think I will be adding a Hustler ztr 28 efi w/60 in deck to the line up this year to compare with the walker w/74 in. hope I am not wasting my money dealer quoted 9400.00 for the hustler.