PDA

View Full Version : Everyone who fertilizes

plateau lawn care
02-01-2005, 10:54 AM
everyone who fertilizes most always needs a license. I know that these companies that are running several crews with mexs or whoever are selling fert. I was watching a crew putting out preemerge and other stuff and their was no american on the crew "not to put anyone down if they are legal" and i know that the mexicans on that crew didn't pass a fert test with the state they couldn't even speak english. So how does this work can i just get a license and then have someone put it out for me too, It sure would make it easy to get some person to do all the running around for me and pay them 10 bucks a yard. Anyway just thought i would ask

Gatewayuser
02-01-2005, 01:47 PM
In Ohio the person working for you does not have to have a applicators lic, all you have to do is be less then an hour away from where their working.

JimLewis
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
everyone who fertilizes most always needs a license.

Not here they don't.

Which is the way it should be, IMO. I figure even the scrubbiest LCOs know more about how to apply fertilizer than most homeowners do. So if homeowners can throw down as much as they want whenever they want with total ignorance, why can't an LCO? The usual reply to this question is, "Well, the LCO is doing a lot more fertilizer applications per month than the average homeowner would be." Yah, that's true. But that's comparing apples to oranges. A more accurate comparison would be this; An LCO who is applying fert. at 50 lawns each month vs. 50 different homeowners applying fert. themselves. In that scenario, I wager to say that almost any LCO is going to know more about fert. and be applying it more correctly than the 50 ignorant homeowners are.

Gatewayuser
02-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Thats true you don't need a lic to put down fertilizer except putting down pre-emergent like you said in the 1st post then you do.

green with envy
02-01-2005, 02:18 PM
In Michigan I know the test is offered in Spanish so they may have passed the test.

Mike

Brandyanna
02-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Thats true you don't need a lic to put down fertilizer except putting down pre-emergent like you said in the 1st post then you do.

In some states you can put down a pre-em with out a license, but other conditions must be met.

Green-Pro
02-01-2005, 02:41 PM
In Iowa business's need to be licensed (one year license), individual applicators need to be licensed/certified. Any one else is able to legally apply but only for twenty-one days (training purposes) and only within/under direct(sight & hearing) of a licensed applicator. This gives the non-licensed applicator time to train a bit and study for exam.

-Geoff

Tony Clifton
02-01-2005, 04:44 PM
In NC you do not need a license as long as the person you are spraying or fertilizing under has one. For example, I have a license but the guys that spary and fert for me do not need one, they are basically working under my license.

ThreeWide
02-01-2005, 05:58 PM
In NC you do not need a license as long as the person you are spraying or fertilizing under has one. For example, I have a license but the guys that spary and fert for me do not need one, they are basically working under my license.

Same in GA. The owner of the company typically has the license, and the employees work under his/her supervision.

cleancutccl
02-01-2005, 06:35 PM
In kansas the business has to have a pesticide business license and one applicator has to have a license. Anyone else working under them can do what they want as long as they can get in touch with the guy with the license by phone, 2-way, or radio. Really pretty stupid rules. I did see something the other day though, it was on a pesticide label, it said if you cannot read the label you are not permitted to apply the product. I think it was avid but I'm not sure.

kickin sum grass
02-01-2005, 08:31 PM
In Ohio only the company need to be licensed but everybody appling under the license holder must be a "trained serviceman". It requires reading a packet and signing a paper stating you understand what you read.

mwallingford
02-01-2005, 11:15 PM
In KY, whoever is on that property applying a herbicide/fertilizer better have a license. In the past 3 or 4 years, an owner in the northern part of the state got sited for 10 violations (sending a worker out who wasn't licensed), and was fined $1,000 for each violation. I think he probably got the point.