PDA

View Full Version : How do market skidsteer buisness...

Ever Green
02-01-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm going to buy the Cat 267. I just want to keep the machine busy as much as possible. Any ideas as to how to approach that. I enjoy running skidsteers, so I'd like to kind of lean my company that way. I do all types of landscaping...I'm a one man unit at this time and would like to hire a few more workers. I'm near Buffalo, NY. Thanks...

ksss
02-01-2005, 03:50 PM
I would approach it perhaps a little differently. Know what you want to do in the market, and then select a machine to accomplish that. Buying a machine and then finding work for it tends to cost more money due to purchasing a machine that isn't properly equipped for your chosen market or is too large or small for what you want to do.

The other point I would make is if you can afford to, is buy a machine and the attachments you want at the same time. You get a better opportunity to better your price on a package purchase (more leverage). The package can be rolled into the interest rate of the machine which will always be lower than financing attachments by themselves. What you want to do will dictate what attachments you will want. Again, buying attachments depends on your machine, your machine depends on your jobs. Without attachments you will (IMHO) struggle to keep your machine very busy. Hope this helps.

Scag48
02-01-2005, 09:14 PM
It really is true that it takes money to make money. In this case, as ksss said, buy attachments at one time, you'll get a better deal. Buy as many as you can at a time and work around your attachments, not your machine. I'm in the same boat as you, we have a skidsteer and we'd like to keep it busy when it's not doing landscape installs and sometimes it's tough. We'll get calls for odd jobs, which is great, but we don't advertise for skid steer exclusive work as much as we could/should. We'll do driveway additions, massive amounts of Harley raking, shrub removal, small jobs that require just our skid steer and not the whole crew. There is plenty of money to be made if you can market your machine.