PDA

View Full Version : Shipping duties to Canada

coif_kid
02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
This is addressed to anyone in Canada who has purchased flyers or gotten their printing done in the US. Did you guys have to pay any customs or duties when you had it shipped back to Canada? Thanks in advance

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm going to be ordering some flyers printed in the states as well...on that note I use to import a lot of product so I can answer it. Printed material....just have the shipper value it for replacement but label it as promotional items with no resale value. Shouldn't have an issue.

coif_kid
02-02-2005, 11:33 AM
So how would one declare the promotional merchandise going across the border.

ToniDavies
02-02-2005, 11:40 AM
The company that you are ordering from has to fill out on a customs form what they are shipping including the value. So if you have them put a really low value or no charge promotional items or samples you would not have to pay for this. However if this is being sent to you by UPS they sometimes or I should say usually charge some type of fee even if the package is marked free. Best bet if you are not in a hurry have it sent by Postal Service.

coif_kid
02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Actually I'm planning on going and picking it up in the states because the shipping charges would be over $700 CND, while the drive is just 4 1/2 hours away. So I'm wondering how do I declare the itmes when I go through customs in order not to pay GST/PST on it.

ToniDavies
02-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I go back an forth across the border all the time. They will make you pay the GST on the value of the goods being brought into Canada. When you get to the border they will ask you what you have to declare and you can tell them flyers they will want to see a receipt then depending on the person you get they will either make you pay or let you go. It is totally up to the customs agent you get. But count on having to pay at least 7% of the bill. Shipping charges of $700.00 is outrageous. I have skid loads come into Canada for way less than that.

coif_kid
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Well that amount is what UPS charges for 600lbs. However, as the first poster said, I could declare these things as promotional material with no cash material. Now it is not a lie that they have no cash value, so could I say that or would they get suspicious.

ToniDavies
02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Call me and I will explain the easiest way to do this.
1-800-461-1041 St. Catharines, Ontario
Toni

HayBay
02-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Please share this info Toni.

Is this toni from Rittenhouse?

ToniDavies
02-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Yes Hay Bay, this is Toni from Rittenhouse. When you get to the border with whatever you have purchased they will ask you what you have. Some items you will have to pay duty on. If you purchase parts for your pumps, spreaders etc. (farming related products) it would be duty free however you will still have to pay the GST on the total value of goods. Sometimes you get a customs agent that will let you go without paying other times they will send you inside. Hope this helps to clear things up.
Toni

cantoo
02-21-2005, 08:23 PM
I used to buy stuff in Michigan and bring it home. I only had to pay duty once and it was only the GST. It really seemed to depend on the border guard and how busy they were. Sunday I am going to a bike swap meet and hopefully I can convince the border guard to skip the GST on the "used" goods. Never try to sneak anything in, I've been refused entry a couple of times for "stretching" the truth. I've learned my lesson officer.

HayBay
02-21-2005, 11:34 PM
I have been finding the same, If I purchase from the USA I will be paying GST on the declared value of the goods when the postal deliverer shows up at the door. That is when going through the United States Post office tHru to the Canada post to my place.

BUT

What do I do for items from J-Thomas (say 200LB) for example, they will not use the post office for deliveries. They want UPS or Cabano Kingsway and the Broker Fee and delivery is way up there to my place.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nice to see you here Toni. I just figured it out once I saw the new Rittenhouse Ad. Lol.... Ad looks good:)

Fareway Lawncare
02-21-2005, 11:42 PM
I've Ordered Everything from Magna Matic to Accelerators to Engines to Blades from the States....You Can't Get half the Cool Stuff I Find Here in Canada & the Other Half is Cheaper from the States...Just Order Away...the Shipping Co. will Take Care of Everything...

HayBay
02-22-2005, 12:17 AM
I did order from magnamatic, the balancer , I think I ended up paying about 20$ gst but Gerd sent it thru the Mail (USPS . What about getting the Grinder Its way heavier, how much did they charge you for that Fareway and what delivery service delivered it, what is the weight of the grinder?

Thanks.

ToniDavies
02-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Hay Bay, try using this online shipping company. You can put in all your info and they will give you 5 rates to choose from. www.freightquote.com we use it quite a bit and they are pretty fair pricing.

HayBay
02-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks Toni I will give that a try.