PDA

View Full Version : Stop thinking about Lawn Maintenance

PMLAWN
02-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Just a quick question about Yellow Page ads,

What do you look at when you look in the phone book? Do not think Lawn care. Think about getting the car fixed or looking for a plumber. Do you look at the Picture ads or the general listing?

Also do you look in the phone book to find a company to do business with or just to find the number of a company that you already know of but just don't know the number. Just looking for opinions as to what people use the phone book for and how.
I am making 06 plans now. We also have a handyman division which cuts down the windshield time factor but still not sure which way to go.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I usually only call companies with ads in the Yellow Pages...I figure they are more "reputable" and however untrue this is cause I'm pretty sure its not a proven fact, I think most other ppl do the same.

If you open up to LawnCare and there are 30 listings *up here at least* and there are nice big ads or just lil phone number listings....what would get your attention?

PMLAWN
02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Jeff I agree and that is why I ask about looking for companys or just numbers of companys that you know.

chevyman1
02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
btw, companies is spelled like I just typed, not companys. If you are putting an ad in the Yellow Pages and want to be reputable, spelling is job #1. :p

KINGjosh
02-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I dont think most people even look in the yellow pages for LCO's, maybe they do for landscaping. Think about this, People look in the yellow pages for A.S.A.P services, like plumers if they got a leak or electricians, or auto body shops if they got an auto problem. I think to most people they would just wait till they see a Lco in their nieghborhood an ask for a quote from them.

Or they waitr till they get a postcard or flyer. Now I'm not saying that people dont look in the yellow pages, but most dont. Save your money and put it into something else, plus the yellow pages reaches to broad of an area for just mowing, Now if your doing Landscaping as well, then you can justify the expense of the yellow pages because 1-2 jobs will pay for the ad itself.

Id like to hear otherwise from lco's that have put an ad in the yelow for just mowing and was it really worht it, and did the bussiness you got from it pay for it ?

captaingreen
02-01-2005, 04:45 PM
I heard this from someone who knows a lot about marketing and is the president of a medium sized co. in my area. She said, 'Statistically people go to the yellow pages for services that are not directly related to their home. When it comes to service where people come into the home or onto the property, people will usually go for word of mouth referals i.e. neighbors, friends and family'. I think of what she said everytime I consider my advertising dollars. :) :) :) :)

PMLAWN
02-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Sorry Chevy. Was being quick and not paying attention. How stupdi of me>

DennisF
02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I dont think most people even look in the yellow pages for LCO's, maybe they do for landscaping. Think about this, People look in the yellow pages for A.S.A.P services, like plumers if they got a leak or electricians, or auto body shops if they got an auto problem. I think to most people they would just wait till they see a Lco in their nieghborhood an ask for a quote from them.

Or they waitr till they get a postcard or flyer. Now I'm not saying that people dont look in the yellow pages, but most dont. Save your money and put it into something else, plus the yellow pages reaches to broad of an area for just mowing, Now if your doing Landscaping as well, then you can justify the expense of the yellow pages because 1-2 jobs will pay for the ad itself.

Id like to hear otherwise from lco's that have put an ad in the yelow for just mowing and was it really worht it, and did the bussiness you got from it pay for it ?

I agree with this. When I first started business here in Florida I placed a Yellow pages ad and it was useless. I received 2 calls from the ad. Total circulation for the ad was 160,000.

rodfather
02-01-2005, 05:33 PM
btw, companies is spelled like I just typed, not companys. If you are putting an ad in the Yellow Pages and want to be reputable, spelling is job #1. :p

Another English Major...I'm sure the people at the Yellow Pages have a proof reader btw.

the scaper
02-01-2005, 06:29 PM
I like to use the yellow pages as a back stop when sighting in my pellet gun inside, works great. Seriously though, I had a yellow page add for a carpentry biz a long time ago and it turned out to be a waste of money, also an associate bought a y/p add for landscaping and swears he'll never do it again. That has been my experience but thats not to say that it may not work for you. You can see my location, I would have thought it to be a good investment. I never look in the book myself, I go by word of mouth and collect business cards from people who i've talked to along the way.

sildoc
02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
In my business I spent 470 for a 3*5 add. I would say that my YP add Has brought me 10-20x that amount in profit. I get more calls for cleanups that I can upsell to full maintenance. When it is slow in the winter, I get calls for dump runs and tree trimming. I would not even think of getting rid of my YP add. Yes that is 470 I could pocket but it keeps me busy in the off season.

Precision
02-01-2005, 09:57 PM
If I was going to get a yellow pages add, it would be one with a picture, logo or something. My personal belief is that people who are looking in the yellow pages are new to the area, or have burned thru the guys they see in the neighborhood. Either way it is doubtful that either of these groups is going to call a guy with only a name and number.

For me, no yellow pages.

I have an ad in a local newsletter paper that this year brought me in $29,000 in revenue and at $103 per month, I think I did fairly well. I have prepaid for all of next year. Got a discount that way and why not, my single best expenditure of money last year.

mowerman111
02-01-2005, 10:05 PM
I would not get rid of my yellow page ad!!! in the last month I've picked up 3 commercial properties one for 235 one for 165 and one for 95 per month two residentials one for 250 and one for 125, all on a yearly basis. my 3"x3" ad cost 200 per month.plus quite a few clean ups and sprinkler repairs. you do the math

mowerman111
02-01-2005, 10:28 PM
does this look like it
oops wrong thread
http://www.noble.org/imagegallery/grasshtml/AnnualBluegrass.html

Soupy
02-02-2005, 01:03 AM
I don't use the yellow pages all the time. But when I do, I go for the business card size adds. I don't know why my mind tells me to skip all the big fancy adds and go straight to the small adds listed in alphabetical order. I also usually just pick one in the middle. I don't go for the companies called A-1 or anything. I look for a original name.

Around here the national companies that have great marketing teams do not list adds in the phone book. They only have the free line. I wonder why that is? I guess they feel it isn't a very good marketing tool. One of these national companies preach that they are a marketing company selling lawn care. So you would think they know what they are doing.

JKOOPERS
02-02-2005, 02:37 AM
i put an ad inthe yp and worked great best form of advertising that i have had luck with so far. i picked up around $15,000 for my first ad, that only cost me $600 for a 2"x4" full color. i actually just renewed it a few days ago, for the same price.

HOMER
02-02-2005, 06:18 AM
I've had good success with mine. It's a one liner with bold type and costs me 17.00 a month..........+ the cost of the business line. It's the only advertising I do so I just leave it there and hope for the best. If your gonna do it I don't think I'd get locked into a $500.00 a month add like I did a few years ago payup .........it didn't get me any more calls than what I get now but it sure sucked paying those $$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s out in the winter! :help:

PMLAWN
02-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Mower man I did the math and you have received $870.00 income per month and are spending 200 to get it. That is over 20% cost for the ad. My entire ad budget this year is going to be closer to 8% total and YP would be a small part of that. Seeing that and reading what others have said, I will stick with my first impression and go with just the 1 line free listing. Thanks for the help. And good luck to all in 05.