PDA

View Full Version : I can usually handle this in a flash but....

matthew horner
02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
(mods move this if you wish, sorry)

I've got a 21" toro from the mid 90's with the suzuki engine that is acting up.
Ok, it gets a great spark, carb seems ok, fuel is flowing and floats not stuck. With start fluid it backfires, sputters, etc etc etc. It even caught my air filter holder on fire since it had some residual starting fluid in it (I blew it out). Whats up with this. Nothing that I know of happened to it, it just started doing this. Has good compression. New gas. ANy suggestions what to look at?
Matthew

cnflawn
02-01-2005, 07:42 PM
hi mr horner

one of 2 things
flywheel key sheared and its out of time
exaust completely plugged

i am pretty sure its one of these.

jerald

matthew horner
02-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Yeah, it acts like the timing, but I did not check the exhaust. I'll do that, tonight.
Thanks.

Oldtimer
02-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Take the starting fluid and place it in the closest trash container. There is absolutely nothing to gain with spraying a high explosive into a small engine, especially a 2 stroke. The lube for the engine is in the fuel and starting fluid will wash everything inside the engine.

Use WD40, Opti Spray or any other good spray lube instead of starting fluid.

The Suzuki engine is very picky about spark plugs and they must be gapped at .032. I think the correct plug is a NGK BPRM6A but could be wrong.

Check the blade for evidence of an impact and then change the flywheel key anyhow.

Oldtimer

matthew horner
02-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Wait wait, this engine is a 4 stroke, right? It has an oil pan, is'nt that where it gets its lube?

Oldtimer
02-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I assumed the mower was a commercial model with a 2 stroke engine.

Either way, lose the starting fluid.

matthew horner
02-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Ok, so its a 4 stroke. I took the muffler completely off, and again, I get fire out of the carb. Does'nt even sputter like it wants to start. It does sound like timing. I guess I'll start taking stuff off tomorrow night to get to the flywheel.

matthew horner
02-04-2005, 09:58 PM
I got everything off to the flywheel. How do I get this off, How do I time this thing. This is sort of new to me. There is nowhere for me to put a gear puller?????? Any tips. There is a slot for a key, but I see no key. I'm sort of feeling naked here, but fearless.
Matt

beransfixitinc
02-05-2005, 12:09 AM
I got everything off to the flywheel. How do I get this off, How do I time this thing. This is sort of new to me. There is nowhere for me to put a gear puller?????? Any tips. There is a slot for a key, but I see no key. I'm sort of feeling naked here, but fearless.
Matt

Well, then go ahead and jump... the fear only lasts until you hit the ground.

matthew horner
02-05-2005, 12:11 AM
That was a worthless reply