PDA

View Full Version : Help on commercial bid.

RYAN
01-30-2001, 08:17 PM
I got a call from one of my resi customers saying he wanted me to bid on the place he works for lawn mowing and fert.
I drove by today to check out the property. It has about roughly 5-6 acres of mowing all is flat and wide open except for 1 acre which has about 30 trees. I really want to get some commercial properties so I really want this but would also like to make good money with it. He also wants spring and fall clean up, mulching beds, bush trimming so this could be a great account. My equipment I will be using is a 52" lazer HP and a 48" exmark wb. For price I was thinking $250-300 for mowing and $350-400 for fert. Is that too high? What did you think. I only bid a couple of properties this big so I am not sure.

lawrence stone
01-30-2001, 08:33 PM
You need to measure the area with a wheel. List areas to be mowed with a 52" ztr, 48" wb, 21" wb, lin. ft. of weedwacking and edging along with the sq footage of the beds.

If you do not do this all your figures are worthless if you want to bid jobs in a logical way and make sure you will actualy make a profit on the job.

Ocutter
01-30-2001, 08:57 PM
Go with Stone. Make sure all areas are accessible by your machines. The acre of trees will be a maze so take that into acount when bidding. The price you say for the cutting may be a little low depending on how much whipping and blowing needs to be done. Otherwize 60.00 per acre seems good for flat land cuts. Do you plan to fert. the WHOLE 6 acres. If so way too low.

TylerAssociatesLLC
01-30-2001, 09:42 PM
How much an acre for a 27 acre job, every week? Will be using 2 61" turf tigers. The area is open for the most part on a slight grade hill terrain. Two person job, 1-1.5 spent on trimming. $60 an acre seems way to high when i can cut 2-3 acres an hour per machine. I've heard $30-35 and acre in the past, is that right???

bob
01-30-2001, 09:50 PM
Take the time to walk the property once or twice, or more if you need it. Now using your good judgment, figure out how long it would take you to cut this by yourself. This is how many man hours you need to do the job. Now how much per man hour do you charge. Multiply the two numbers together. This is what I do.

RYAN
01-30-2001, 11:22 PM
I think you are right about the wheel. I am going to buy one tomarrow and get a better idea of what the exact measurement is. I am pretty good at guesstimating but better to be safe than sorry. What do most of you charge per acre. I was thinking around $50.

PS there is not a lot of trimming on this job (15-20 minutes)

Michael Fronczak
01-31-2001, 07:45 AM
Mowing cost $ 50 acre is to high, a 60" ZTR will cut 2.5 acre per hour on average, (more in summer, less in spring/fall), our market here wouldn't pay that. From my exerience even if you are a little low, your better off, getting the job.
If you the same or even slightly higher, than last years contractor, forget it, you won't get it, unless they weren't happy last year, ASK IT REALLY MATTERS. I lost a bid last year, price was almost identical to existing contractors, they told me it wasn't worth trying someone new, it was a $ 9,000.00 account, with a two year deal($ 18,000), all my contracts are for two years. Here all properties want to see yearly price, have to do do year, last season we only skipped on cutting, season before we skipped around 6. What I was trying to get at is that even if your 5% low, your still making money, and most, if not all clients add work if your doing a good job.

Atlantic Lawn
03-01-2001, 06:05 AM
Always walk the property, get to know what kind of rocks or debris might be out there.If you're knicking a blade everytime you send someone out there,it will cost you later. Take your wheel and bid with your head and not your heart.

kutnkru
03-01-2001, 09:46 AM
Ryan
I would bid 5 acres as follows.
If its easy and not alot of obstacles as you have said::
$150/cut* Wet Season: 28cuts/$4200 Dry Season: 24cuts/$3600
If its not easy to cut and has alot of uneven terrain/obstacles::
$275/cut* Wet Season: 28cuts/$7700 Dry Season: 24cuts/$6600
*these prices do not include the trimming just mowing.

Tyler
I would bid 27 acres as follows.
If its easy and not alot of obstacles as you have said::
$486/cut* Wet Season: 28cuts/$13,608 Dry Season: 24cuts/$11,664
If its not easy to cut and has alot of uneven terrain/obstacles::
$756/cut* Wet Season: 28cuts/$21,168 Dry Season: 24cuts/$18,144
*these prices do not include the trimming just mowing.

Hope this helps.
Kris