PDA

View Full Version : Pinestraw price by the truck load?

MudslinginFX4
02-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Just wondering what you all are paying for pinestraw in large amounts by the truck load? I am talking 1000+ bales at a time. The cheapest I have been able to find is $3.00 a bale. Is anyone getting it a significant amount cheaper then that or is that the going rate? If you know of a company that has real good quality pinestraw that can deliver several thousand bales at a time to my shop and can pass on there contact info please let me know! Thanks!

QualityLawnCare4u
02-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I get mine free. Ride thru town on tuesday afternoon and get just as many loads as I want piled by the curb before its picked up on Wensday morning.There was a company here that was taking large loads like you want to surrounding states, see if I can locate the company for you and get a price.

Drew Gemma
02-01-2005, 09:51 PM
how do i get pine straw in ohio why don't we use it up here help me out on this I would love to use it in a few of my landscapes.

MudslinginFX4
02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Drew Gemma, I think it's another one of those southern things! It is a good money maker and really looks good in my opinion, I'm not sure why people up north don't use it.

brinlee lawn
02-01-2005, 10:04 PM
You dont see it much here in oklahoma either

MudslinginFX4
02-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Wanted to bring this back to the new posts... still looking.

MMLawn
02-11-2005, 08:09 PM
ECM, if it would help us get a better price for even a larger amount I'd be willing to split it with you if the price was right.

i_plant_art
02-11-2005, 08:13 PM
here ya go fellas top notch pine straw like you asked http://www.custompinestraw.com/pinestraw.htm

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
02-11-2005, 08:22 PM
At the nursey's here it is $3 per bale to the general public. If i buy in bulk i can get it for $2.25 per bale. If i call the dealer direct and get 1000+ bales i can get it for $0.75 to $1.50 per bale depending on what kind of mood they're in. Go figure.

MudslinginFX4
02-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Brian, thanks for the link and the PM, I think I have called them before but i need to look back at my records. If I remember correctly they are still around $325+ for 1200 bales.

Mike, maybe we could work out something a long those lines and get a discount. I know there is actually a great place in Greensboro that sells in mass amounts that I found on the internet but I can't get the price down low enough to even bother buying. I am buying it from Family home and garden for $3.00 slash florida and $3.50 Longneedle NC here in Raleigh currently. I am really looking to pay no more then $2.50 per bale if i order a large amount at a time.

B&B.... where do you get it that cheap? Is there anyway that you can get me the contact and see if they could send a truck load my way? PM me with some information if you want.. maybe we can work something out.

grass-scapes
02-11-2005, 09:22 PM
I get it from a place in greensboro myself sometimes. It costs about $3.25 for long leaf. sometimes its $3.50.. never know till I get it. anyway, I had some delivered for 3.85 a bale, but they were great needles....or so I thought. Bales were very loose and small. I won't do that again. Johnsons pine needles out of Spartanburg SC is where I got those. The place in Greensboro is Southern Pine needles.

Im looking for some more myself. I only need about 400 bales total for the spring. Id be more than willing to split some with someone and get a full truckload if I can get them for a great price.

MudslinginFX4
02-11-2005, 09:30 PM
I picked up 300 today from the nursery here and spend $700. It really isn't a bad price, I just hate having to go pick it up. My busy season is coming in about 2 weeks and I should need in the neighborhood of about 2500-3000 bales this season. I might even talk with the nursery and see if they can't cut me a better deal if I buy it all from them. Right now I get the typical contractors discount.

Ray & Karen
02-13-2005, 02:42 PM
That still sounds kind of high to me. I used to have mine delivered to the job (30 bale minimum) for $3.09 each, and that is having the bales off loaded and placed in the beds.

MudslinginFX4
02-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks Ray and Karen for responding. That would be nice having it delivered straight to my job for $3.09 each!

I see you are from Hampton Virginia. I have been to Hampton several times and its a very nice place. I used to ride the MS-150 every year for the Hampton MS Society branch. 150 mile bike ride through that area and others... ive seen lots of your area, or at least the back roads.

Tony Clifton
02-13-2005, 04:51 PM
ECM, I am sure you know this/have already thought about this, but I would rather pay.25 cents more for a nice bale of straw rather than pay 2.50 or 2.75 for a bale that is full of trash, faded and does not go very far.

Also, they do not use it much up north because there are not as many pine forests. Therefore in order to get it it must be shipped hundreds of miles which makes it pricey. Personally I hate the stuff and wish it did not exist. Almost dislike it as much as Red Mulch.

YardPro
02-13-2005, 05:29 PM
$2.95-3.25 here.

we are actually paying $3.25 a bale now from a guy, BUT it is good consistant straw.
we have had so many problems with every other seller we have had. first truck is great, second, os ok, then we get a load of old, bleached, crap filled straw. Or they will but the best straw on last so when you open the truck it looks great, get a few walls pulled down and it turns to junk...

We were buying for $2.95 a few years back, but we are happy with the consistant quality of this person's straw.
also, all of our large properties buy the straw, we just arrange the delivery. We just got in our first truck thursday...

ashs inc
02-13-2005, 11:30 PM
how many bales come in a semi truck trailer load??? any one know?

Smalltimer1
02-13-2005, 11:53 PM
I picked up 300 today from the nursery here and spend $700. It really isn't a bad price, I just hate having to go pick it up. My busy season is coming in about 2 weeks and I should need in the neighborhood of about 2500-3000 bales this season. I might even talk with the nursery and see if they can't cut me a better deal if I buy it all from them. Right now I get the typical contractors discount.

You looking for it in bales or just on the ground? We have PLENTY of it on the ground up at our farm in Wilton just north west of Youngsville.

I can talk to my father if you would like to get some.

Does anyone know if a standard square baler (JD 336) can bale pine straw?

Turf Dancer
02-14-2005, 04:45 AM
What do you do with all this pine straw/pine needles ? What is it used for ?

MudslinginFX4
02-16-2005, 10:38 PM
You looking for it in bales or just on the ground? We have PLENTY of it on the ground up at our farm in Wilton just north west of Youngsville.

I can talk to my father if you would like to get some.

Does anyone know if a standard square baler (JD 336) can bale pine straw?

Thanks for the offer Smalltimer, I think I'll have to stick with bales right now because I'm having a bit of a time problem. Also, while you may even have better straw I really think most of the yuppy customers I have would want to see the bales physically (lol), don't ask why. I am actually seriously thinking about getting a machine that can bale the straw and using some of my uncles 500+ acres in Pinehurst NC next year and going that route.

Smalltimer1
02-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the offer Smalltimer, I think I'll have to stick with bales right now because I'm having a bit of a time problem. Also, while you may even have better straw I really think most of the yuppy customers I have would want to see the bales physically (lol), don't ask why. I am actually seriously thinking about getting a machine that can bale the straw and using some of my uncles 500+ acres in Pinehurst NC next year and going that route.

Do you have a guy on your crew that lives in Butner? I have seen one of your trucks at a house up on 12th street just before John Umstead Hospital, well I used to anyway, now that I'm at NCSU I don't see much at home anymore.

moremowing4me
02-17-2005, 05:48 AM
What do you do with all this pine straw/pine needles ? What is it used for ?

They are used as a mulch just like bark or chips. works real good and looks good too.