PDA

View Full Version : Software/Billing Question

Grassroots
05-15-2000, 11:44 PM
My brother and I have recently started our lawn care business (3 months old) and have 22 accounts and need to build to 100. So far I have been doing to the monthly billing manually. I am looking for a software program that I can print all my bills with one (or a few) clicks. Same with envelopes. I have tried Lawn Monkey, Quickbooks, & GroundsKeeper and was not impressed. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.<p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

Eric ELM
05-16-2000, 12:00 AM
I use MS Excel for billing and I use Office Accelerator for envelopes. Highlight all the bills to print, click print and their printed. Click on Lawn envelopes and it prints them all out with return address included. Off. Ac. works with MS Word to print the envelopes.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Finecut
05-16-2000, 12:36 AM
Mike,<p>I know it's not for everybody, but the general concensus in the past has been the majority of the people are using Quickbooks. I tried a quick search and didn't find it in the archives, but I know it is there. With a little diligence I feel sure you can find it.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Finecut

JML
05-16-2000, 07:40 AM
Try gopher98. www.gopher98.com thats what i use and i have tried them all. i wasn't impressed with lawn monkey, quickbooks, or any other software. check it out

grasscapeinc
05-16-2000, 08:36 AM
We use Quickbooks Pro 5.0.<br>Once you get it set up for YOUR business, it is great.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-16-2000, 09:14 AM
Check out Clip. You can get a free demo able to do 10 accounts. The program its not cheap but is very very detailed. They have been around since around 1988. I think the web site is Clip.com<br>Good Luck and let me know if you like it.<br>Clip might be an investment for you when you reach 100 accounts. Just a thought. :)<br>Travis <br>AG&G Lawn Maintenance

Greenkeepers
05-16-2000, 10:14 AM
What didn't you like about Quickbooks? It is a little hard to get the hang of at first but once you get it altered to your needs it is very easy. I have demo'd both clip and lawn monkey and I think they are geared more towards the tracking and scheduling aspects of the business. I've been using Quickbooks for 2 years now and I love it. It prints professional forms and makes the accounting / billing side of the business much easier. You can print batch envelopes and everything. <p>Mike <br>Greenkeepers

lawn and stump
05-16-2000, 12:24 PM
Check out CLIP I have used it for 9 yrs and<br>it get you so organized you can work on getting more cust.It has a great job costing feature that shows you which jobs are winners<br>and losers then just by getting rid of your<br>loses by raising them or dropping you will make more money. I have 250 customers and I would not be in business if I didn't get organized. I used to hate writing bills and chasing money. I can't remember what I paid for clip but it's like going from a sears tractor mower to a 48&quot; bobcat it makes you look professional. I do not work for clip.<br>good luck phil<p>----------<br>phil j<br>

gusbuster
05-16-2000, 01:23 PM
Let me throw in another vote for QuickBooks Pro.<br>What I Like About:<br>1. Memorizes all my invoices, have it to set up make the invoices as I do my route order<br>2. I use it for multiple companies; mine my dad, and uncles.<br>3. Most bookkeepers use this program; so just have to take to my bookkeeper for year-end taxes.<br>4.cost of other landscape specific software is more expensive.<br>5.Intuit is very good about improving their product<br>6. Can customize whatever forms I need to use, invoices, and estimates, credit memos<br>7. Version 99 or later is easy to import into word or excel.<br>Just takes a little time to set up to the way you want to. Iíve been using this software programs for many years (since the dos version). They make it easier and easier to use. I don't think you can go wrong for the price. Plus there are other forums that are specific to QuickBooks if you have any questions on how to do something.<br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-16-2000, 03:20 PM
Lawn & Stump hit the nail on the head!! This program is geared toward the Lawn and Landscape industry. Everybody will tell you that the program they use is the best since sliced bread, demo and research as many programs as you can than you make the call.<br>I think Clip runs around $1000 or so. But as was said before its the differance between Sears mowers and commercial mowers. By no means do I want to advertise for them but in this business its best to have as many details as possible.<br>Travis <br>AG&G Lawn Maintenance :)

Getmow
05-16-2000, 06:37 PM
ClipPro....the only way to go!!!!!

Grassroots
05-16-2000, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the great posts. Your replies are appreciated. I will try them and see which best suits my business. Thanks again.<br><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

HOMER
05-16-2000, 10:56 PM
Heres one nobody else has mentioned, it is for invoices only though. I use Proventure Invoice and Estimates program. It works fine for me, I don't need that much help keeping track of my schedule and at the stage your at you wouldn't either. I got mine for free at Office Depot when I bought a fax machine. It keeps track of all your customers, keeps the invoices in numerical order, keeps track of the accounts recievable and prints your customer list. I haven't used the &quot;estimates&quot; side of it yet but for free it does me quite well. Everything else we take care of the old way!<p>Homer

lawnnut
05-16-2000, 11:01 PM
We use MS Office<br>Access is our data base.<br>Then bills are Mail merged and<br>Envelopes also<br>

TPC
05-18-2000, 12:24 AM
Hey, where are you located in fla.<br>im in brandon,just south east of tampa

Grassroots
05-18-2000, 09:45 AM
We are located in New Smyrna Beach, about 20 miles south of Daytona Beach. How is this drought afffecting your business this season? Worst I've seen in a few years.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

bridges
05-18-2000, 10:46 PM
Well I have tired or checked into a lot software for the kind of work we do. I tried clip and did not like it. use quickbooks but doing billing that it took hours. The one that i find that works for me is lawn monkey. I have all my work schedule on there, at the end of the day i just click on what work i got done for that day and at the end of month i click on invoice and it prints out. i'm done in 20mins. I got lawn monkey three months ago and tech support is still great. <p>----------<br>Tony<br>

cclllc
05-19-2000, 04:32 AM
WE USE CLIP AND QUICKBOOKS.CLIP FOR SCHEDULING AND QBOOKS OR ACCOUNTING.YOU CAN MAKE CLIP DO IT ALL BUT I LIKE QUICKBOOKS FOR MY ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE.GET THEIR DEMOS. john<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: cclllc<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: cclllc<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: cclllc

greenlawncare
05-19-2000, 09:58 AM
To each his own. I tried both clip and lawnmonkey and chose lawnmonkey because I liked it more. I have another friend who tried clip and lawnmonkey and liked clip more. I also know a couple others who still use quickbooks and they seem happy too - but I know that they spend longer billing each month! I'm a very happy lawnmonkey user and don't imagine ever needing to switch to anything else. I say just go with what feels best. To each his own.

CMerLand
05-19-2000, 10:06 AM
CCLLC,<p>You can get a link between your clip and quickbooks to run them together. The Link dumps all your clip financial information into your quickbooks accounts. Have only used the link a few months buts works great but i think you have to use both Clip and Quickbooks pro.

bridges
05-19-2000, 10:51 AM
Hey Greenlawncare Do you use lawn monkey for account too?<p>----------<br>Tony<br>

mowerman90
05-19-2000, 12:18 PM
If you want an overly complicated, exspensive program, buy Clip, Lawn Monkey, Quickbooks or Gopher. If you want an incredibly easy to learn and customize program for only $35 download a trail version of Medlin Accounts Receivable from www.medlin.com. I've been using Medlin since 1995. as my account list grew from 20 to over 100 customers. I've tried all the other programs but never found any that were quicker or easier than Medlin. Give it a try.

greenlawncare
05-19-2000, 02:19 PM
Yeah. It works fine for now. Just no payroll. I found that it doesn't come with enough 'expense classes' built in so you just have to add your own. I am also waiting on that qb link so that I can download it to qb for my accountant come December. although lawnmonkey is not supposed to be an accounting program like quickbooks, more a program that has accounting features, it did seem to have more than anything else out there. I think that the link to quickbooks for the accounting end will make it fully complete.