PDA

View Full Version : I'm going for it... Need some planning help.

JROD
02-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Well I have decieded that I'm going to open a small landscaping business. I'm a college student and have been considering of majoring in landscape design or landscape architecture but want to make sure this is a field I would like to go into. I have mowed and done small landscaping work in the past, I hate mowing but kind of liked the landscaping part.

Here is my question. I'm trying to work up a plan of what to offer this season. I do not want to get into huge jobs but am thinking of things such as:
Ponds - Walkways - Raised Beds - Gardens - Aeration - Mulching - Pruning/Trimming, etc.

What are some other smaller jobs which have a high profit margin?

Also, I'm not sure what equiptment to start out with. So far I have been thinking of buying a mantis tiller. Regarding the Mantis Tiller, is garden cleaning/tilling and covering with mulch a high profit area?

I'm assuming i'll need some good shovels, pruners, saws, and other tools. What should I look for and what brands are good?

Thanks much!
Jared

absolutelawnman
02-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Ponds are a pretty big job but are profitable, as far as the Mantis goes I bought one and use it more than I thought I would. In Oklahoma we have heavy clay soil so it is limited to exsisting beds, and a few other jobs and from driving through New Mexico I am sure you have pretty tough soil. I use it alot to mix new soil and ammendments and to prep for fall/spring color.

If you know a builder you may hit them up, typically not a big custom home but someone that is putting in smaller tract home they like to keep the cost low and go pretty fast.

Good Luck

JROD
02-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Good deal. Yes, the soil is very tough here in New Mexico. I figured that could be a problem with the mantis. I will probably check to see the demand before getting into rototilling.

That is a good idea for checking with contractors. The town I live in is growing fast and there are new houses popping up everywhere.

TClawn
02-02-2005, 02:38 PM
take a look at your local codes as far as the dollar amount you can charge the customer before you need a contractors license.

renovating older landscapes have a very high profit margin. you take out the old mature plants, and sell them to some person who has a lot of $$$ and is moving in to a new house. then charge the person you are renovating the landscape for, for new plants.

JROD
02-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the info.
I have talked to some of the other local landscapers and they have told me what to do as far as getting the licenses and such.

Here is another question I have. This will pretty much be my 1st year doing landscaping work. What are some easy jobs to do? I don't want to get into something I can't handle.

I am mainly trying to earn enough money to put me through college, so any help will be beneficial.

Thanks again,
Jared