PDA

View Full Version : Taking Classes

jpmako
02-02-2005, 09:48 AM
I started taking the Pesticide Applicator Training classes.
There seems to be a lot of information that you need to know.
Emphasis so far was placed on the Label and Toxicity of Pesticides.
One good thing that I have learned is that I do not have to work under someone else for 2 years as I heard from a couple of people.
Once the training is over I have to take a study class and then the test(s)
I believe that the first test is the Core and then the category test 3A.
My question is this how difficult are the tests? I consider myself to be a pretty smart person, but I have never tested well. Any suggestions or test taking tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am really looking forward to providing these extra services to my existing clients. So far I have subbed out the work and some of my clients have used Chemlawn or Scotts. I personally believe that they do not practice IPM and that all they care about is money. When they come and apply all of the Nitrogen that they can at one time all it does is make my job harder and more time consuming. Over the years I have gotten disgusted with the overall performance of these industry giants and would like to offer my clients a more personal/ effective service. I look forward to gathering as much information as I can from you guys and would really appreciate any help or advice that you may have to share. :waving:

Thank You,
Jason

Ric
02-02-2005, 09:58 AM
jpmako

Good for you. However don't stop there. Subcribe to all the trade Magizines and read, read, read. It actually take about 3 years field experience to learn the basics and 3 life times to become an expert.

jpmako
02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I am not planning on stopping at the Technician Level. I would like to become a Certified Applicator and possibly have other people doing this for me at some point. What trade magazines and or books do you recommend?
BTW I do have very little experience in this compared to most but it seems that about 80% of the guys in my class are going into this blind. I have been around for a while and have done some research. I have what I would consider a general knowledge of what is going on. :waving:

Thanks,
Jason

westwind
02-03-2005, 10:07 AM
jpmako

Good for you. However don't stop there. Subcribe to all the trade Magizines and read, read, read. It actually take about 3 years field experience to learn the basics and 3 life times to become an expert.

ric knows what he's talking about, you can never have too much knowledge.
good luck. :blob3:

Ric
02-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Oops Trade Magazines, Ok off top of my head I may miss some.

Lawn & landscape

Turf Mag

Ornamental Outlook

Grounds Maintenance

Pro Mag

Market place

Mower man

Pest Control Mag.

There may be some more local publications for your area that I am unaware of. I know I have missed listing a couple, but I am too lazy to get up and look through my bookcase right now.

tjgray
02-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Most of those publications have free subscriptions too...just go to their websites :)

I really enjoy my Grounds Maintenance and Lawn & Landscape subscriptions.

jpmako
02-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I have been getting some of those for around ten years now. Some of them do offer great information. I was looking for info more geared toward pesticides, like good books explaining weeds and life cycles most effective way to prevent them etc..

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Jason

Garth
02-03-2005, 03:17 PM
The test here in California took me an hour and a half. The Laws and Regulations is the most extensive and sometimes there will be two right answers but only one CORRECT one. You should be able to download a study guide from your pesticide regulation departments main website. Here in CA the laws we have are the most strict in the nation and far more stringent than federal guidelines. Cornell University has one of the most extensive programmes as far as horticulture and pesticide use. That may be an option. One thing you should consider is DON'T OVER-ANALYZE!! Get the material, study it and do the test. Don't go off on different tangents on what MIGHT be on the test. You'll save your fingernails and have a lot less hair in your comb! The first time is always the hardest because you don't know and you stress yourself out but I believe you will walk out thinking that was one of the easiest test you'll ever take. I did.-Garth

Garth
02-03-2005, 03:27 PM
I have been getting some of those for around ten years now. Some of them do offer great information. I was looking for info more geared toward pesticides, like good books explaining weeds and life cycles most effective way to prevent them etc..

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Jason
A good place to start would be here. They should have a list of State University publications on all test subjects-Garth www.dec.state.ny.us/website/site/subject.html

jpmako
02-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Garth,

Thanks for the info.
I have looked at some study materials and think that some of the Practice Questions aren't that hard and erquire more comon sense than anything else.
I have heard that California and New York are the toughest states when it comes to Pesticide regulations and laws. :waving:

Thank you,
jason