PDA

View Full Version : Just starting Application Business

jjvvdd
02-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I am starting a lawn and spray company and have no concept of the applications. I understand that eliminating pesticides and fertilizing the lawn is the goal. Is there a spray that does both at once? I've read about pricing here at lawnsite.com; I am going to test next month for the license. Any suggestions on literature to read, i.e. pesticide or fertilizing for dummies.
Thanks,
J.D. in K.C.

Green Dreams
02-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I am starting a lawn and spray company and have no concept of the applications. I understand that eliminating pesticides and fertilizing the lawn is the goal. Is there a spray that does both at once? I've read about pricing here at lawnsite.com; I am going to test next month for the license. Any suggestions on literature to read, i.e. pesticide or fertilizing for dummies.
Thanks,
J.D. in K.C.

For the love of America and her environment...please don't even try.

Thanks

jjvvdd
02-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks, your a winner, I can tell.

DLS1
02-02-2005, 11:08 AM
For the love of America and her environment...please don't even try.

Thanks

ditto. Another troll from another site. :D

James Cormier
02-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks, your a winner, I can tell.

Yup, he is a winner , and a pro.

Now, do some searches on this site, you will see what a ridiculous statement you made, and hopefully you will understand this business is for professionals, and professionals dont need " pesticides for dummies" books to help them get started.

Hamons
02-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Hate to do this Green Dreams -- but if he actually is willing to study -- then I have to help him!

Here are the manuals online --

This is for Turf section 3b
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/entml2/sections/s20_a.pdf
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/entml2/sections/s20_b.pdf

and this si for Ornamentals section 3a
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/entml2/s11.pdf

UNfortunately the test is REALLY easy -- and do not be fooled into thinking by passing the test you are qualified -- only certified.

Field General
02-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I have been using this site for about two years now and have always been annoyed by some of the short and wisecracking answers given by some of the members. But I have to admit this one has even me shaking my head.
What makes one get up in the morning and say to themselves ,"Today I'm going to start a fertilization business." Do you have any experience at all in the field? Personally I worked for five years with applications before I even considered starting a business, and then I wasn't sure I knew enough about lawn care to call myself a professional. All this being said read,read,read everything yow can get your hands on. From trade publications to books, either purchased or from your local library. I also go to every re-certification seminar that I can make it to, never think you know it all. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions ,I'll try to help you.

marko
02-02-2005, 12:09 PM
JJVVDD

Are you able to just take the test in Texas? I know there are 2 authorities (or overseers) that do the regulation, but I thought you had to have 2 or 3 years experience to be able to hold a license. Not positive on this but something to research on before you get too far in it

Green Dreams
02-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks, your (mix in an 're when you're slamming me) a winner, I can tell.

He's in Kansas, so I'm not sure. In Texas, until a week or two ago, I thought you had to have verifyable training. Not with the AG Dept, I'm learning.

Thanks for the props, James. I dig you chowds. Good luck on Sunday. Texans in '06, baby. You heard it here first!

As for being negative, usually I just ignore them That way they drop off the board quickly. But that one got the reply it deserved. Nothing personal...

Thanks

jjvvdd
02-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Nothing personal telling you that your a winner. Get a life you blow hard.
"Only steers & queers from Texas, you ain't no steer."

Sean Adams
02-02-2005, 05:35 PM
jjvvdd - This forum specifically on this site has some of the most amazing information and insight from true professionals you will ever get your hands on. If they seem a bit upset by your statement/question, stop and think....

This is what they do...this is what they care about...this is what they are passionate about....this is what feeds their families....to ask for a pesticide four dummies cliff note version of their hard work is a bit of an insult...

That being said....you will get more with honey than vinegar. The last comment is way out of line....

Here's my advice...read as much as you can from these pros. Think aboutnthe questions you truly need answered and go from there. But keep it clean and professional.

lawn king
02-02-2005, 06:00 PM
YOU ARE A GOOD MAN SEAN ADAMS!! I'm sitting her'e reading this thread laughing. Boy oh boy, it's a scary place out there in lawn world!!

Bushwhacked
02-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Thank you Sean, and there's no need to insult the Great State of Texas either.

nitrotim
02-02-2005, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Sean Adams]jjvvdd - ...

That being said....you will get more with honey than vinegar. The last comment is way out of line....

Hey Sean you stealling my motto.LOL

Green Dreams
02-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I never want to come across as a flamer. Maybe a wisearse occasionally...lol. I appreciate this board and website.

Thanks

J Hisch
02-03-2005, 08:15 PM
I unsderstand hard work and being passionate about our industry. I also run a pest control business. I can tell you this. Men just like him and thinking just like him are buying franchised pest contorl business everyday. They spend a couple of weeks at a training facility and learn how to implement their plans and bam they are on their way. The only thing he is doing different than others is not spending the franchise fee. We all know that with this business comes a valuable level of experience. But, I also remember when I got my break, someone, somewhere had to help me. Honestly, I could care less if some Bozo wants to sneek the short way into this business. He will either fail or make it and if he makes it I want to be the one remembered that I am the one that gave the Bozo a shot.

Green Dreams
02-03-2005, 09:17 PM
I was a kid that needed a break too. But thankfully when I got into this business 16 years ago I was supervised...lol. Man, I did some damage. I couldn't imagine what I would have done on my own (no web back then either) in the 80s.

bigviclbi
02-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Hi guys i currently run a landscape business and specialize in perennial gardens and hardscapes. i am also getting my license to apply herbicides and pesticides and have the training manuals. what can i read up on besides the training manual to get a feel for real-life situations in applying fertilizers and herbicides. i am trying to get more commercial jobs but am probably going to have to start including this type of work to get them. any suggestions?

J Hisch
02-04-2005, 08:10 AM
go to Purdue's Web site and type in Turf tips.

timturf
02-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Nothing personal telling you that your a winner. Get a life you blow hard.
"Only steers & queers from Texas, you ain't no steer."

YOU have the HONOR of being on my IGNORE LIST!

Arborturf
02-04-2005, 09:07 AM
I thought this would be a good thread to post my question since many have offered their opinions. I recently began working as the marketing director for a growing lawn care business. The company has been in business for 12 years but I am new to the industry. Its important that I know all areas of the business and I need to report the latest technology on fertilization products. I've been searching websites and reading literature but I'm afraid the sites I am searching are biased. Any suggestions where I can find good articles or comparisons to different products on the market? Thanks.

J Hisch
02-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Turf tips on Purdues site. Also attend a training seminar. I just went to one and some prof'd from Purdue, and Kentucky were there giving there findings on different herbicides on their test spots.

MIDWEST25
02-05-2005, 09:15 AM
And your plan B is?????? I hope you are an heredity issue and not contagious

jjvvdd
02-09-2005, 08:23 PM
It's good to see that this once hopeless post has generated something positive. I do not apoligize for my lack of knowledge. My wording in looking for good ways to educate myself was lacking wit. I have found through this that the application business is not as easy as just getting a spray tank, a universal spray with license and going to town. I knew that there was more to it than that prior to this post, I did not know if was something that I could learn on the fly or if I could cause potential damage to the surfaces I was treating.
Anyway, thanks to you that offered suggestions. I will give details of a professionally ran application business in the future. Distant future.