PDA

View Full Version : Door to Door, or Direct Mail

SprinklerGuy
02-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey guys, spring almost here finally.

I know that this question comes up on all the forums and yes I have done a search, not much came up that was pertinent. However, I haven't ever had to worry about work before this. My business in AZ is so established that we rely more on repeat and word of mouth...but here in CO, I am newbie.

My marketing/advertising campaign is about to begin. I am calling all landscape maintenance companies beginning today to speak with them about doing their sprinkler repair and becoming their "goto" guy. But I want to target homeowners as well, especially homeowners in brand new houses needing sprinkler systems. I did 2 systems last year in new areas and did real well, I'd like to do many more.

That being said, due to them being new in their homes, I'm guessing they are bombarded with door hangers and direct mail pieces. which do you think will work the best?

I am on a bit of a budget also, I want to do what is best for my pocketbook. Obviously, walking door to door and hanging my piece is the cheapest, but is it the most reliable and will it give me the most for my investment?

Any sort of feedback much appreciated.

Ground Master
02-02-2005, 01:27 PM
I've tried many methods here in the Springs Tony.

I believe alot of it is timing.

The absolute worst advertising I tried was a 8.5 x 11 insert in the Gazette paper many years ago. Something like 4 callls out of 10,000 or so inserts.

New homes here seem very competitive with new installs.

A fairly large company here bid a job I looked at last fall for 1500! (5 zones plus 1 drip zone). Companies seem to bid sprinkler installs low to get the landscaping as well.

-Tom

Team Gopher
02-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi SprinklerGuy,

I think handing out business card magnets would be another idea. Give them something they can hold onto. When they have a problem, they will have your magnet and call.