PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Work Boots

rookie03
02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Anyone have any waterproof non-insulated work boot? If so, what brand? model? price? And how do they perform and feel? Please let me know if you have any waterproof work boots. Thanks!

PTP
02-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Any full leather boot should be water proof. You just have to apply Nikwax or Snoseal to it. As long as you don't step in water that is deeper than the boot you should be fine.

Keegan
02-02-2005, 04:06 PM
I've been using Survivors for years. Never leaked at the seams and last a long time. I bought them at an Army Navy store and on their website. If I remember I paid around $70-$80.

LawnMowerBoy48
02-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Do you prefer steal toe or one without. I've heard stories of people who had been wearing a pair of steal toed boots and a heavy object fell onto the toe and the steal cut through the foot. I'd imagine they would be in just as much trouble had they been wearing boots without steal toes. What do you guys think.

GreenMonster
02-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Do you prefer steal toe or one without. I've heard stories of people who had been wearing a pair of steal toed boots and a heavy object fell onto the toe and the steal cut through the foot. I'd imagine they would be in just as much trouble had they been wearing boots without steal toes. What do you guys think.

I think I'll take my chances with the steel. If you drop a 50lb+ retaining wall block on your toe, you'll fare much better WITH the steel toe.

kkat
02-02-2005, 05:11 PM
A good buddy of mine works for the water dept and he says the only true waterproof boot out there are the boots with the word (GORETEX OR GORTEX) not sure with the spelling, on them .There are 3 types of waterproofing on boots 1 type only the seams are waterproof, another type means that the boot was treated with a waterprofing and the third type is goretex which is 100% waterproof , so if a boot says waterproof on it you will be getting one of the first 2 and for a true waterproof boot make sure it says (GORTEX OR

deereman
02-02-2005, 11:05 PM
I wear either Irish Setter or Rocky or Danner . All of them can be purchased w/ waterproofing.My favorite is I think the Danners. They are very high priced but I like how they feel. Almost like a high quality tennis shoe. I have walked many miles in the Rocky Mountains while on hunting trips. I dont think youll be any harder on boots than myself. The Danner boots run $100.00 to $300.00 Irish Setters $80.00 to $200.00 Rockys $65.00 to $155.00. As far as waterproofing they all worked well. However I think that the Danners are a little better boot. However they need care just like a car or mower, regular oiling and waterproofing is very important.

rookie03
02-03-2005, 11:41 AM
I wear either Irish Setter or Rocky or Danner . All of them can be purchased w/ waterproofing.My favorite is I think the Danners. They are very high priced but I like how they feel. Almost like a high quality tennis shoe. I have walked many miles in the Rocky Mountains while on hunting trips. I dont think youll be any harder on boots than myself. The Danner boots run $100.00 to $300.00 Irish Setters $80.00 to $200.00 Rockys $65.00 to $155.00. As far as waterproofing they all worked well. However I think that the Danners are a little better boot. However they need care just like a car or mower, regular oiling and waterproofing is very important.

I've been looking at a pair of Danner's 8" Quarry Boot with Gore-Tex/waterproof/breathable for $215. If they are worth it I'll buy them, but I'm not going to spend that if they are only going to last one season. How long do they hold up?

DFW Area Landscaper
02-03-2005, 11:50 AM
The best boot I've ever owned are my Georgia Boot Mud Dogs. In fact, I just bought a pair for my employee last night because he'll be the one making the applications this year with the new spray rig. Feet never get wet and these boots are rugged. I've had mine for about 20 months now and I wear them every day that I work...all year long. No problems in summer.

The boots are rubber at the base and leather at the top.

Paid $79 for a pair last night at Cavendar's Boot City in Lewisville.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

MMLawn
02-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Wolverine's. They'll last forever too.

Critical Care
02-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Check out http://www.sorel.com/. My feet typically get cold easily, but with my pair of Sorel boots I can stand out in slushy wet snow and not feel a thing. They're made for the Canuck cold.

Critical Care
02-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Oh, and Mike (MMLawn) I have Wolverine work boots for general summer use, but I have to disagree with you in that the soles on mine are pretty well shot after a season. Could be the type of boot? Dunno, but I wish they'd last like my pair of Clark shoes that I've be wearing for 10 years where the soles and everything else still look almost brand new.

Rtom45
02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I also have to disagree on the Wolverines. I now have a pair with steel toes, special anti shock sole, and treated to be chemical resistant. I have never been able to make them waterproof and I have used everything from minkoil to silicone. I'm happier with a cheap pair of boots from Sears or WalMart. As long as they feel comfortable - I've always been able to waterproof them. I can usually get one year from a pair of workboots.

dcondon
02-03-2005, 02:18 PM
I have always had Vasque boots, they are Gore-Tex and light weight. I can go 2-3 years with a pair.

absolutelawnman
02-03-2005, 03:36 PM
I use Rocky and are very comfortable, waterproof guarantee for a year, but just maintain them and will last longer

grass_cuttin_fool
02-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Rocky boots here also, Hard to find a gortex boot with out some insulation, maybe the boots geared towards spring turkey hunting. I like the gortex because it will keep your feet dry and the morning dew doesnt soak through. I usually get a new pair in the fall and wear them for 2 years before replacing them

Premo Services
02-03-2005, 04:45 PM
I have a two pair of Red Wing work boots. I clean and oil them with the oil they give you and have never had a problem with wet feet...

Also they are the most comfortable boot I have worn, they feel like a pair of my favorite slippers. It helps that tyey have a softer sole, just replace the sole every so often when they wear out, about once a year. One of the pairs is like 13 years old.

Harleyboy52
02-03-2005, 05:22 PM
I have a very comfortable pair of Wolverines and I just bought a pair of Wolverines Anti Shock waterproof for $56. + 9.95 shipping off ebay. They retail for $130. They are new in the box with the tags still on them. The company is grapevinehill out of Ma. I think. You will find them on ebay.

deereman
02-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Rookie those Danner boots will last quite a while, just pending how you use them and how you take care of them . I have a pair that are 5 yrs old and are very good shape. However I wear Redwings which also makes the Irishsetter brand and around the farm in cow manure they do not last but maybe 8 months and they are shot. Cow manure is very hard on boots.But if you dont have cows which you prob. dont they should last a long time.

Cracker
02-03-2005, 11:01 PM
I wear the Danner Radical 452 GTX, I will not wear any other brand of boot or hiker, I still have a pair of danner boots I purchased 11 years ago, they are ugly as heck but the uppers are in perfect condition. I am on my 3rd pair of Radical 452 GTX, (they used to be called something else)
Danner makes awesome footwear.

my .02

Tim Louis
02-04-2005, 04:47 AM
hey, I do work in the water department and let me tell you survivors suck, wolverine and rocky dont last as long as they used to cuz they are being made in mexico or something but redwing w/GORTEX is the way to go. around 150-160 a pair. My friend in the water dept. has a pair and i've seen him in water to his knees and he comes out of the hole with the bottoms of his feet dry. I've had wolverines and currently survivors and wolverines were ok for a while but slowly wore and soaked through. the survivors just plain sucked from the begining. My friend who i work with also had one of his redwings spring a leak in one boot 11 months after he got them so he took them back to where he got them and they gave him a brand new pair off of the shelf with no questions asked.

Mickhippy
02-04-2005, 05:54 AM
I just got a pair of these and no problem so far! Just duey mornig grass though so far!

Very comfy once worn in (2-3days)(had simular yrs ago L/scaping) and last well over a year getting wet etc! VERY GOOD BOOTS Blunnies!

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=283&ccode=7090&cat_id=40

Check the rest of the boots and other stuff. I got a Drizabone Long coat and was cheapest out there, even for here in OZ!

No, I dont work for them, just passing on a good place to buy is all! :waving:

Critical Care
02-04-2005, 01:26 PM
One thing that I do not like are the non-solid soles that some companies are putting on their boots. These soles are mostly air with a thin cheap rubber shell on the outside. The cheap rubber wears down quiclkly, and then you have gaping cavities in your boots that pick up rocks and junk. And what would you bet that these companies market this... umm... junk as being easy on your feet, or in other words, anti-shock?

Unfortunately, I think that the goal of many of these companies is to make money, rather than a genuinely good product. They know that profits can be maximized by putting out a good looking boot, but surely not one that will hold up. Cheap material can be used and most people will never know the difference when shopping. Its a bit like how candy bars, and other food items, have shrunk in size but remained at or above the same price. Bit by bit they slip it past the naÔve consumer.

lawncare3
02-04-2005, 02:24 PM
I got some redwings. They were only like $210 and have lasted me a LONG time I have had mine since auguat and never have shoes last that long. :)

Grassmechanic
02-04-2005, 02:31 PM
LL Bean's Maine Hunting Shoe, aka "Bean Boots". Under a $100/pair and they'll gladly resole them for you for around $40. Been wearing my original pair for over 15 yrs (been re-soled a few times).

DKinWA
02-04-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm also a Danner fan and won't buy anything else. When I wore out my first pair, I bought two more so I could switch between them. I'm pretty hard on boots and it was almost two years before I noticed the first leak. If you take care of them, they'll last a long time.

DALMlawn&landscaping
02-04-2005, 05:39 PM
the Georgia Mud dogs are awesome, cheap and a good all around boot. i know a lot of irrigation guys that wear them, and a lot of landscaping guys wear them too but find they don't last too long. rocky makes an uninsulated gore-tex wellington work boot, cowboy looking, so not too practicle for you lawn guys, but works great for me when i'm tromping through the mud and horse runs, and cattle pens. as for wolverine, this old man told me the other day, "i've tried every boot out there, justin, rocky, red wing, georgia, chippewa, everything, and i would have those soles flapping like my dogs tounge in about 3 months. well, i got me this pair, and they've made it a year, i recon these are keepers" so i guess wolverine made one more life long buyer that day.