PDA

View Full Version : Want to test a GD Super Sufer???

turfmagazine
02-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Jim @ TURF magazine here.

Now I'm looking for an experienced cutter in the Charlotte, NC area to do a field test of a Great Dane Super Sufer (for publication in the magazine).

It's not difficult. The dealer is in Monroe. You use it on the job for a couple of weeks and either (1) write a review of what you did and how the unit performed or (2) I'll send you a form to fill out and my editors will turn your answers into the field test. We pay for field tests. Any takers?

(Oh, by the way, if you don't have a free subscription to TURF, would you please sign up at our web site? The button is at the top of the lawnsite page. I'm really trying to increase the number of LCOs we reach. Thanks)

Lawnchoice
02-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Jim,

I know this post is for down south but if you ever need an experienced cutter in New England, please let me know.

Thanks,

turfmagazine
02-02-2005, 03:28 PM
When spring finally gets here, I'll have several. I'll keep ya posted.

We're in northern Vermont ... and there sure isn't any grass to cut here ... won't be until May.

MacLawnCo
02-02-2005, 06:06 PM
too bad that isnt in OH Jim, id run it head to head with my stander. let me know if you wana do something of that sort

lrose2
02-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Jim,

Let me know if anything comes up for Ohio regarding the new generation of Super Surfers. We now run a SS and Chariot along with some Scags. Could do an article on the improvements to the SS over our version if there are any. Since JD bought GD all I've had are problems getting parts. I think that JD will close out GD since they now have their very own green SS.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Jim, I bought the JD 667 Quik-Trak. They are very similar in design. If you dont find anyone, you can always use me and my Quik-Trak. I posted a thread on here about my stander that gathered some attention for a while. Let me know. JD 667 Quik Trak (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=88622&highlight=mower%21)

Any supporters of me doing a field test for Turf mag and my Quik Trak?

turfmagazine
02-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I've started a list of folks from various places when field tests come up. The reason this one has to be in the Charlotte, NC area is become Great Dane really wants this particular dealership to be involved because they're good at organizing things.

Any takers in the Charlotte area?

mowahman
02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi Jim,
If you're looking for a test pilot for anything, gimme a shout. I'm in Central NH., and work residential, commercial, and municipal. Also do field mowing with my tractor and rear mower.

Tharrell
02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Monroe has exploded like Mooresville in the last couple of years. You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone.

turfmagazine
02-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Maybe Monroe exploded and there aren't any active LCOs in the area? I'll check in Monday ... if no one on lawnsite is in the Charlotte, NC area to do this Great Dane Super Surfer field test ... I'll contact the company and have them find another dealer who will cooperate.

Meantime ... you have a field test report on your own equipment? Bring it on. Just email it to me jkendrick@turfmagazine.com

That would be great!

LawnsRUsInc.
02-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Hello Jim nice to see that you choose people that are trying to make a difference in our industrie (lawnsite). If you ever need a demo company for your articles let me know. We are located in Milwaukee Wisconsin, and i have not read an article about any landscape companies from our area. By the way love the magazine keep up the great work. My office is like a turfmagazine library. I keep all of them and reference back to them.

Respectfully, Jason McGee
Lawns R Us, Inc.

Stinger
02-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Jim I hate to sound negative but I currently own two Super Surfers a 61" and a 48". They were purchased new from one of 3 local dealers that no longer carry great dane. The distributer has changed 3 times in five years. The nearest dealer to me is now located 1.5hrs away. The mowers are good when they run but have numerous problems. The decks are thin and damage easily, belts wear out prematurely, starter hangs up and my 61 blew the left hydro pump at 100hrs (all under warranty) and the list goes on! I know there's good and bad in everything, but having owned numerous brands over the past 12 years in business I've never experienced trouble from machines like this. I don't think a couple weeks tells the tale of any machine. You may consider longer tests if at all possible in the future.

K&L Landscaping
02-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi Jim! I'm about 2 hours away from Monroe,NC in the Asheville, NC area. I would be willing to test it for a few weeks when we start cutting again (hopefully mid-March). I'm available if you are interested.

traman
02-06-2005, 09:16 AM
why do you want to do an artical on a mower with so many problems,last year when i was upgrading two local dealers wouldnt even sell me one they both said to many problem with them ,and trying to get parts was next to impossible . one dealer had brand new ones in crates that he couldnt even put together due to missing parts ect doth dealers drop the line i ended up with an exmark

turfmagazine
02-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Jim @ TURF here ...

Stinger ... with previous field tests, folks have kept the equipment for a lot longer. I was just suggesting a minimum ... not a maximum. You make a great point.

K&L ... if that's not too long of a drive, please send me your information and I'll set it up.

traman ... I sure understand you may have had difficult experience with this brand. I've found that different rigs work out differently depending on (1) geography (2) types of jobs. But I'm not sure the GD Sufer should be "written off" because someone had a less than perfect experience. No reflection on you ... just a thought.

cooksjr537
02-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey Jim, i live in charlotte, if you still need someone to do the test let me know. I'm probably less then 30 mins. away thanks.

turfmagazine
02-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi cooksjr537

That's two in the area. Please send me your information (what you do ... how long, etc.).

I'll get one of you set up a.s.a.p. for the field test in March or so (or maybe both of you).

Jim

CharlieBingo
02-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I've owned five surfers (Super and originals) all were great and ran over 1500hrs with no problems. I told my buddy to get an Exmark; nothing but problems from day two forward. I run Exmarks, think they are great, but every brand has lemons!

jim dailey
02-07-2005, 05:23 PM
JIM;
I am up here on the Ma./R.I. line, with 68 residential and 3 commercial. Presently own an older Surfer (single belt) and use it everyday. 52" w/20 Kohler. Love it to death. If you are ever in need of someone in my area...let me know. Thanks, JIM.

grass-scapes
02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
I really wish I lived a little closer to charlotte. If you ever have anything up toward the Greensboro area, Let me know.
Thanks

traman
02-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Jim @ TURF here ...

Stinger ... with previous field tests, folks have kept the equipment for a lot longer. I was just suggesting a minimum ... not a maximum. You make a great point.

K&L ... if that's not too long of a drive, please send me your information and I'll set it up.

traman ... I sure understand you may have had difficult experience with this brand. I've found that different rigs work out differently depending on (1) geography (2) types of jobs. But I'm not sure the GD Sufer should be "written off" because someone had a less than perfect experience. No reflection on you ... just a thought.

jim :just going with what i was told, both dealers told me not to buy them both dealer stopped selling them, both dealers had carried them for years ,so somthing must have changed they are the professionals not me from what i here, the john deer version is far superior ,but thats for another day