PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth this....?

Ky. Jones
02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
I hand delivered a bid to a customer today. He looked at it a said good we have a board meeting tom. night. Then ask me what i Would charge to pick up the grounds weekly this time of year(winter) I told him I would get back with him. I don't have a clue how to charge him. I not really up for trash pickin but I would like this account. It is 102 4-plex apartments all together. I walked the property just last week and they were not to dirty. I figure if I can offer this service the rest will fall into place. Anone do anything like this??

coonman
02-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Don't know what to tell you on price except whatever you bid will probably end up being too low. Picking up trash on certain accounts can be miserable and double your time there when you are mowing. Don't be afraid to bid high on this one. Good luck!

FrankenScagMachines
02-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Get a couple of kids to do it for minimum wage. Tell them any doodling around or missing bits of trash will make them ineligible for the upcoming company pizza and video game party!!! :jester: and they can invite all their friends to it if they do an outstanding job!! LOL

jpp
02-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I myself have never hadd to do this but what are you thoughts on an hourly rate? This is an extra service on top of your regular bid. If you have to do pick up when you cut the property that should be figured as an extra cost as well.

Ky. Jones
02-02-2005, 07:53 PM
I figured picking up in my quote to cut. I do take care of some other properties but they are on monthly service contracts. I do not bill hourly. I guess I just need to make what I want an hour, because although I hate the thought of doing it. It is extra money and it is only two miles away.

Precision
02-02-2005, 07:57 PM
I have one acct that is a pig sty all the time. Gas station. I have it in the contract that they pay me $60 per hour to pick up trash. about once a quarter I spend 2 hours picking up trash then they do it for the next 1.5 to 2 months, then I get my little bonus again.

But I may be done with him soon. 7 days late on payment.

I do that strictly as a deterent.

My suggestion would be to walk the property looking for trash but don't pick any up. Time yourself, double that time to actually account for the picking up and disposing part. Then multiply by the number of times per month you will need to do it. Then mulitiply by your hourly rate and add that to the monthly bid price.

pcs
02-03-2005, 03:33 PM
We had 2 contracts with a property manager back in '03 that involved trash picking on a daily basis. They were a Walmart property (all of it, parking lot, lawn areas, trees, shrubs, whatever) and another plaza with a coffee shop and some other crappy stores. They had someone else doing the rest of the maintenance at the places. They paid just over $4,000 a month. We went way high in the price and got it. Don't be afraid to price something like that high, it's gross work and they have to expect a ridiculous cost. Think about it, your only expense is garbage bags, a truck, a broom or stick to pick up the trash with and 1 or 2 guys. It worked for us for a while. We started first thing in the morning before the stores opened, then had time for the guys to join the other crews.
Sue

FrankenScagMachines
02-03-2005, 03:38 PM
True, as Sue mentions, this can be done early morning... good way to make a little money while you are waiting for the dew to burn off the grass to mow.... and it does not make noise, so no one will complain that you're out there :)