PDA

View Full Version : Scag

big_country
02-02-2005, 08:07 PM
I was wondering what are the best type of blades to run with the SCAG advantage deck? I have a 61" turf tiger and was looking into running hi lift blades this year. Also what is the best type of stripping kit to buy/make for a SCAG, is the factory kit worth the money?

Thanks

captaingreen
02-02-2005, 09:10 PM
I run Bobcat Hi-lift offset blades on my Scag. You can get them from J-Thomas. As far as the striping kit I haven't used one so I'm not sure there.

TURF DOCTOR
02-02-2005, 09:21 PM
I don't think you need a stripeing kit they stripe great if i did buy 1 it would come from scag.

LLandscaping
02-02-2005, 09:28 PM
We run hi-lift mulching blades on our Scag Tiger Cubs. We use them to cut grass and for mulching leaves in the fall. We bought ours at J-Thomas but now we will be buying them from Travis at Landscapers Supply. (He is a sponsor)

atproperty
02-02-2005, 10:54 PM
There is no need to purchase 3 hi lift blades. Just install one on the discharge. The hi lift does not help the cut it helps throw the clippings. Sure Scags already give a nice stripe, but if you want to stand out and really impress your clients you want a kit. If you have a turf tiger maybe you will not experience the problem that I had with the roller getting hung up. It installs on the axle rod and causes me problems with my 52" tiger cub. The end result is outstanding. Go to atproperty threads, "looking for versatile stripping kit", post #10 I believe it was. You will view what the kit does. If you are questioning my advice on the hi lifts go to chatfield power equipment in Southbury CT(search engine). Get the phone #, ask for greg. Tell him Andre referred you. He will explain anything you need to know. Oh ya, make the shop install your kit. One less thing you gotta do. Your giving them your business.

captaingreen
02-02-2005, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=atproperty]There is no need to purchase 3 hi lift blades. Just install one on the discharge. The hi lift does not help the cut it helps throw the clippings.
Actually it does help the quality of cut. The hi-lifts provide more suction under the deck which in turns lifts up the grass and leaves less straglers. Some people go with just 1 hi-lift, but I would definitely reccomend 3, honestly I can't even see any purpose in having regular lift blades, my Scag dealer says them same thing.

atproperty
02-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Your reply actually sounds like it makes sense Captain Green. Maybe I was steered wrong. I remember my dealer saying something about HP. Maybe my Honda 24hp is not enough for the extra weight of the hi lifts. Back to the drawing board. Sorry if I was wrong big country but ask your dealer or the dealer I told you just for giggles and let me know. In the winter I have time to check the forum almost everyday.

big_country
02-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Which hi lifts are better, the ones with the straight lift or the ones with the notch in the lift? I think on J-Thomas i noticed under the scag blades you could not get the solid lift, only the notched lift blades; so will the solid lift 21" blades under the Bobcats work on scags also? atproperty, what did the kit run you and how do you think the spring force setup works? Also on the thickness on the blades, they are listed as .204, is that the thickness of the factory blades?

Thanks for the advice

atproperty
02-02-2005, 11:48 PM
I would have replied sooner but the server was down. I got my stripping kit for $300.00 but it was at a time when I purchased approx. $11,000 of product in cash. So I am not sure if I got a discount or not. I pulled a reciept and my hi lift is 18" do to 52" deck. Of course my reciept shows one 18" hilift(part#SG 481711) for $25.76 and two reg 18"(SG 481707) for $13.44 each. So that set up was $55.80 total with tax. Your turf tiger has more nads than my cub. I will be calling greg tommorrow and ask him why he has me running one hi lift. I will let you know. I do believe the springs are an important roll in quality with the stripping kit but as far as counting on the springs to quickly lock into an upward position its all hassle. I needed it for quality but I fought with the thing all season.

macaw
02-03-2005, 08:10 AM
I used Meg-Mo blades last year on my 48" wb advantage deck very hi lift will output grass 3 times mower deck size and they mulch leaves real good.

chimmygew
02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I won't use anything but Meg-Mo's on my Scag. They cut great and enhance the stripe. I also have the Scag stripe kit. Does fine, but not very durable in my opinion. I made my own and mounted it on the back of the deck and it does just as good of a job as the factory kit. Plus it only cost me about $50.00 - $60.00 bucks to make.

atproperty
02-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Yes macaw and chimmeygew I actually plan on purchasing the megmos for all my mowers. I have done research on them and they sound great. I was just giving big country the info on hi lifts because thats what he was asking about, but the megmos sound like they are the way to go. Chimmeygew I would really appreciate a pic and/or explanation on how you did your kit. I believe I gave directions somehere in this line of threads to view some of my stripping pics. Just let me know if your kit is capable of doing it. Thanks!

Big country go for the megmos.

chimmygew
02-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I wish I had a pic of this one lawn I used to mow. The light part of the stripes were so bright they looked silver. Those were nice pics by the way. The roller I made is capable of laying down very good stripes. The reason it does so well, is due to the fact that it has the weight of the deck with it. I will try to post some pics very soon for you.

bad_chad48
02-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I personally use the origional SCAG blades. I have used others in the past and have knowticed that the Scag blades actually hold their edge longer. They use a harder steel that some of the others that I have used. Kinda like comparing a Buck Knife to one made in packastan. I do use a highlift blade in the fall to suck up leaves but the rest of the year... Origianal Scag blade. There is a difference. I do not know about the blades from j tomas. never used them.

bad_chad48
02-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Striping Kit... not sure about origional Scag... I made one before scag came out with theirs. It appears to work well. Mine is simialar to exmarks. But has no springs to push roller down. There is night and day difference between using one and not. Scag mowers already stripe well but.. it enhances the stripe.

big_country
02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
What will the meg mos run for my 61"? I think they are something along the lines of $160, so are they worth the money? With the big disk in the middle do the get off balanced when you hit something? I would like to see some of yalls stripping kits. Did yall mount them to the back of the decks and use a single roller or several?
Thanks

atproperty
02-03-2005, 09:21 PM
go to the top of the main page where all of the banners are. all the way to the left will say megmo. Go to the tab they are talking about us. yes they are expensive but to replace the blade is only 3-$4. Everyone says they are worth the money.

big_country
02-04-2005, 08:24 PM
I've read on here about people saying that they rob horsepower. Does my 25hp Kohler have enough to pull them with a 61" deck. I believe it does, but i would like to hear from somebody that has used them on their scag. Also could i see some pictures of the stripping kits that some of you have made for your scags?
Thanks

macaw
02-05-2005, 09:59 AM
My Scag is a 17hp 48" belt drive they do take a little more horse power but you hardly see the difference your 25hp should do just fine.