PDA

View Full Version : which walk behind to buy?

pablohoney
02-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this site and find it very informative. I am new to the ownership side of business, starting up just this past fall. I have an old exmark viking belt driven that is probably 8 years old and so I'm looking to get a new mower this spring. What advice can you all give me about which brand, model, etc. I should look to? I have about 20 accounts that I use the larger mower on so I want something reliable. Thanks in advance
pablo

Mark McC
02-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Can you tell us a little more about your route and the types of grasses and so on?

By the way, you can use the search thingamabob to look at the opinions of members on specific makes and models. Might tell you more than you'll get with this post.

pcguy
02-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Exmark, Bobcat, Scag, Toro, John Deere are all good machines. Do you want belt? Hydro? The different brands have ranging costs, and that is something you'll want to keep in mind. Most all commerical mowers will work quite well if taken care of and everyone has their own opinion depending on the conditions, etc. But above all, make sure you have a very good dealer to support you. Are they giving you priority since you bought there? Do you get a loaner if somethings wrong? Always go with the dealer support.

Mark McC
02-02-2005, 09:35 PM
But above all, make sure you have a very good dealer to support you. Are they giving you priority since you bought there? Do you get a loaner if somethings wrong? Always go with the dealer support.

Couldn't agree more. Equipment down time is deadly.

plateau lawn care
02-02-2005, 09:46 PM
I would say if you have the money get a hydro I started out with a belt but the do have their downfalls. Like the others said dealer support a good idea.

FrankenScagMachines
02-02-2005, 10:08 PM
They are pricey, but super nice- I would look into a Exmark Turf Tracer 52" 23hp with a BullRider sulky from TrimmerTrap company, and an Accelerator 6.2 aluminum side catcher if you need to bag. Also if you can swing it, a couple of nice accessories that make the job nicer and easier are the Exmark striping roller and OCDC (Operator Controlled Discharge Chute) I think Exmark calls it the EZ-Chute. I have a 1999 Turf Tracer HP 52" 17hp. Two years ago it was my primary mower, and its great and I got a good deal on it used, but if I were buying a new one for my primary machine, I would love at least 2 more horsepower, larger tires are always good (this gets you just a little more speed which I could use as well, the TTHP cuts at full speed in most conditions). I built my own striping roller and OCDC for it, love those accessories they really make it nice.
I'm sure with the sulky, catcher and accessories, you are looking at more money than you'd want to spend, but maybe look into a used unit (they have some used ones on the Exmark website as well). Dealers are usually pretty good, and they have great support on LawnSite here. I can testify, that my TTHP cuts best of about anything I've seen, and I haven't done anything but change the oil, spark plugs and blades. Its been a great machine. This season I was able to upgrade to a Ferris zero turn. The Ferris does a great job, but I think the Exmark cuts just a little better in some conditions. Also, the full size Turf Tracer should have a slightly deeper deck than the TTHP which is said to work a little better in tall and wet grass, and helps reduce blowout I'm told.
A setup like that would likely be too expensive to justify. But, look into a TTHP, they offer electric start and larger engine options. I think the drive tires now are slightly larger than on my older model (wider at least). Beleive they come with hourmeters optional I think. You will love a hydro and more power! Put a nice sulky on it, and it will be an awesome machine!

mkwl
02-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Get a Bob-Cat!! I have a 2003 Bob-Cat 48" w/15HP Kawi V-Twin engine, belt drive WB mower and I love it!!! It has a quality of cut and stripe can't be beat by any other brand!!! I have had absolutely no problems with it at all!! If you want the best, get a Bob-Cat!!!! If you get a Bob-Cat, you will not be dissappointed!!!

MTR
02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
I second what Frankenscag has said, TTHP 52" with Bullrider or Junglewheels. I am not sure about the bigger version, TT 52/23 cause there are not many or none of them in my area, (people bought Lazer instead) so I barely see it in comparison with TTHP which I see all the time besides my own machine. Hey, it is eXmark best selling WB, TTHP, whatelse.

Mark McC
02-02-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm glad to hear the rave reviews for eXmark's TTHP. I just arranged to pick up a TTHP 52/19 after starting a thread a couple of weeks ago in which I polled members as to whether a 17 horse engine was enough for the frame and deck.

If the frame and deck outlast the motor, I might could see dropping a 23 on it, but since the standard engine for the TTHP is 17, I figured an additional two ponies ought to "cut it," if you'll pardon the double-entender.

As for hydros, let me just say this: I love the cut my eXmark Metro 36 gives, but what a he**uva lotta work it is to operate.