PDA

View Full Version : Sit or Stand Revisted.

Fareway Lawncare
02-02-2005, 10:20 PM
As many of you know, a few years ago, one of LS most cherished members, an unselfish and giving man, Eric Erickson AKA Eric Elm, passed away from a stroke. He is sadly missed to this day. As many also know, Eric spent most of his days riding around on his Dixie Choppers and perhaps did not get the excercise needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Regardless, for those of you who spend all their time perched on a ZTR.....Are you Overweight, Out of Shape, generally in poor physical condition?

LLandscaping
02-02-2005, 10:54 PM
We use ZTRs, Toro 21s and a 37 Toro walkbehind. We are in good condition not overweight and we workout regularly to stay in good shape.

procut
02-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Regardless, for those of you who spend all their time perched on a ZTR.....Are you Overweight, Out of Shape, generally in poor physical condition?
No, I am not, and mow only with ZTRs.

rodfather
02-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Calvin, I don't see how running a WB vs. a Z will make much difference in whether someone is overweight or out of shape...btw, all I personally ever operate are WB's (my disliking of Z's here on LS is well documented) and I can tell ya right at this moment I am 20 pounds too heavy and probably out of shape as well.

But for once in a great while, I see your point.

Mo Green
02-03-2005, 12:26 PM
If you "walk" behind a walk behind, I think the exercise can be very benificial. But if you are using a velke or sulke, that's no different than riding a ZTR. Uaually, if a person is overweight, its because the amount of calories consumed is greater that the amount used.

MTR
02-03-2005, 12:27 PM
As many of you know, a few years ago, one of LS most cherished members, an unselfish and giving man, Eric Erickson AKA Eric Elm, passed away from a stroke. He is sadly missed to this day. As many also know, Eric spent most of his days riding around on his Dixie Choppers and perhaps did not get the excercise needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I don't think standing on sulky will eliminate fat to say, but I hear your point. I for sure love sulky/52" hydro WB and a 52 Stander as primary. The Z is great but, but, it beats my back from bouncing. People think standing will hurt knees and thing, if they put Dr. schols ' insole gel pads or Nike 's sports pads in their boots it is totally different world of standing. Sitting on truck and driving is enough, I can't take a Z as primary (eight hours straight) my back will be shot. My 2 cents

Stinger
02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
We run Z riders, stand on units and w/b's because each mower has it's own niche. But our guys trade off mowing, edging and blowing throughout the day. This way you don't get stuck constantly doing the same thing.

DennisF
02-03-2005, 01:23 PM

If you can't afford to buy a ZTR...just say so. No one will hold it against you.

brucec32
02-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Even using ztr's exclusively, I am on my feet moving fast (loading, trimming, blowing, etc) for about 2 hours a day. That might mean walking 5-6 miles or so each day(also carrying a heavy tool!) . Then add in the other non mowing work and I wouldn't think ztr's were the problem. Certainly more excercise than the typical person gets. But it does use much less energy than walking behind a mower.

brucec32
02-04-2005, 12:44 AM
If you "walk" behind a walk behind, I think the exercise can be very benificial. But if you are using a velke or sulke, that's no different than riding a ZTR. Uaually, if a person is overweight, its because the amount of calories consumed is greater that the amount used.

Actually just supporting your weight and using muscles to maintain balance will use surprisingly more energy than sitting over a long day. But it's still much less than walking and the calories in/used equation is always what matters in the end.