PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Loyalty

sgoalie23
02-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I am looking for a Lazer Z XS. The dealer that i use currently has outstanding service. But he wants 10,200 plus tax for the mower. I called up another guy same distance and he will give it to me for 9,600 plus tax. Should i buy it from the other guy, or suck it up and stick with the dealer i have bought my other two machines from.

Randy Scott
02-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Would you like your customers to pick and choose who provides each service the cheapest? Doubt it. That great service from your current dealer comes at a price.

traman
02-02-2005, 10:39 PM
ya see thats y we need the exmark site back ,terry could answer that question well do you know anything about the other dealers service ? maybe his service is just as good

richallseasons
02-02-2005, 10:42 PM
do you like to throw your hard earned money away?i would give your reg guy the opportunity to match the price and if not,its not a five dollar bill.six hundred dollars is a good piece of change.

onemilmhz
02-02-2005, 10:57 PM
do you like to throw your hard earned money away?
Exactly. If your current dealer is as stand up as you say he'll try to come close to the price. If not, find out about the other guys service. $600 bucks is alot of money. If it were a hundred or so I would say stick with your guy.

cutnedge
02-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Should i buy it from the other guy, or suck it up and stick with the dealer i have bought my other two machines from.

I would get the 9,600 quote in writing. Take it to your current dealer who has it at 10,200 and ask him if there is a 'good reason' you should spend the extra 600 with him. Dealer loyalty does have it's privileges--but for $600 more? And they are the same distance apart? He'd better be a good good'un !

beransfixitinc
02-03-2005, 12:11 AM
I would get the 9,600 quote in writing. Take it to your current dealer who has it at 10,200 and ask him if there is a 'good reason' you should spend the extra 600 with him. Dealer loyalty does have it's privileges--but for $600 more? And they are the same distance apart? He'd better be a good good'un !

There are different levels of dealers. Not all dealers get the same discount on machines, it varies greatly on how much they can actually afford to book at one time.

Go ahead and try out the other dealer.. I'm sure his service is just as good.. but if you need immediate help on a day when he's closed, and your first guy is open... think about that $600 you saved and wait until the other guy is open.

Scag48
02-03-2005, 12:43 AM
$600 in the whole scheme of things isn't going to make or break your company and if it does, you're a poor businessman. I would much rather give my local dealer the business and not make him unhappy so that he's there when I need him. I'm not going to say that you shouldn't try to bargain for the price, but if he doesn't come down in price at all, just take a little bit of a hit and keep on rolling.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-03-2005, 01:07 AM
I won't shop prices any more on my equipment. Service is everything I had 2 major problems last year Dave at Frenette's came though each time instantly finding what another dealer whom shall remain nameless should have found. It did not even bother him that we did not buy the mower from him he still gave me a demo to keep me from falling behind. And not some worn out mower either but a Lazer Z 27 hp 60" with fewer then 100 hours and he let me keep it for 2 weeks no charge then he warranted the work though exmark so that was no charge either. Only thing I had to pay for was the chain the other idiot dealer cut a link out of to take a short cut when trying to level the deck. I had a bent hanger arm a defect which I never would of spotted Dave figured it out in under 5 mins. I do not care what he charges all my mowers have since come from him and will continue too as I am adding a 52" lazer Z and a 36" hydro next month. And you ought to see the dealer awards he has on that wall both exmark and scag. I talked with the exmark rep at another dealers open house and he was telling me how good the dealer was then he asked were I lived and who I used when I told him his whole attitude and voice changed like he had been wasting his time and knew it. He pulls me away from the crowd and goes well he’s the best in the state I wouldn't change a thing if I were you. I don't intend too.

CleanCutMaint
02-03-2005, 08:39 AM
If the other dealer is the same distance away then they are both your "local" dealers. Great service is a hard thing to find and I would probably try out the other dealers sevice if I could. Why not use both of your local dealers, it makes more sense to have a good working relationship with both of them to keep your options open. $600 is a lot of money. I understand good service and loyalty come at a price but if you have been loyal to him then he needs to be loyal to you. If the other dealer can beat his price by $600 then I would check his prices out on other equipment. It's $600 bucks now but over the years it could be thousands of dollars. I think it's time to give the other dealer a chance to earn your business. Just my .02

cward
02-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't sacrifice good service for $600. Show the dealer the other offer. He'll come around. Remember that $600 when you have down time due to poor dealer support. Good luck.

kkat
02-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Being a dealer myself I can also say that not all dealers pay the same price for the equipment that they sell. Both dealers might have the same profit margin but dealer #2 might sell more units and would be able to purchase the eguipment at a lower cost. I know $600.00 is a lot of money but it seems to me that in the course of a year you could make up that difference in no time. I think its the inital out of pocket expence that is making you hesitant at first. Have you tried talking to dealer#1 about coming down on his price? possibly even matching it . Just dont get upset at dealer#1 if you dont get the same service that you have been getting from him, if you buy at the lower cost, remember you were the one to first wander in the first place,

mbricker
02-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Several years ago I made the mistake of "wandering" from the dealer that had been giving good service, and bought a Kubota from another dealer. The mower is a good piece of equipment, but it had a fuel problem and died with about 12 hours on the clock. This Kubota dealer does not have a good reputation for service--which I did not know when I bought the mower--and I would have to say the bad rep is very justified. They had the mower TWO WEEKS, misdiagnosed the problem, gave it back to me with NEW problems from the work of an incompetent mechanic, and the original problem kept recurring for 4 years. It got to the point I just didn't use the mower, and at 5 years old it only has about 700 hours on it.

On the other hand, I have had 2 Grasshoppers bought new from the local GH dealer, and have had EXCELLENT service the few times I needed it. In one case they replaced the electric PTO clutch at no charge even though the mower was out of warranty. In another case they had the machine ready for pick up the same day I took it in.

Do you think I would have been happy with the first dealer--even if I bought from him at a savings of $600? Do you think I am likely to buy anything ever again from him? Do you think the Grasshopper dealer has earned my loyalty? And the Grasshopper mower is not the cheapest equipment out there, and this dealer is usually priced a little above other GH dealers. But what you get in service is worth something extra in initial price.

plateau lawn care
02-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Buy the cheap one and tell the dealer you use now that you bought it off some guy who needed money and still use his service dept. Being an exmark you shouldn't have to take it in for a while anyway.

MMLawn
02-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Buy the cheap one and tell the dealer you use now that you bought it off some guy who needed money and still use his service dept. Being an exmark you shouldn't have to take it in for a while anyway.

That will work for about 30 secs as that is about how long it will take the dealer to punch in the Serial Number and see that is not the case ;)

Kelly's Landscaping
02-03-2005, 12:03 PM

Big problem with this advice when they do work on it the first thing they do is run the serial numbers to see if it's stolen. When they run these your name will come up as the person who bought it the name of the company who sold it the date it was sold will come up along with the very day the mower was made in the factory. Trust me exmark keeps very good records of this stuff.

On side note I happen to live in the same state with sgoalie23 I know both dealers he is talking about I even gave him the name of the dealer I have found which is excellent. What else do I need to say but go ahead and learn your lesson if you want but I warned you.

Randy Scott
02-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm quite impressed with most of the answers here. Usually this type of thread goes the way of buying it from the cheapest dealer. Most of you are standing up for the dealer loyalty. That's great. maybe the cheap bastard$ that always preach about saving a dollar saved their way right out of business. Well, hopefully at least.

Anyways, I think a little renegotiation may be at hand. $600 is a pretty good spread. I wouldn't press the issue, but try to make the conversation somewhat "politically correct" and just probe your current dealer as to why he's so much more. Usually my dealer is a few hundred bucks more on big ticket equipment. It's worth every penny more as well.

MacLawnCo
02-03-2005, 12:12 PM
$600 is nothing. if relationships mean nothing to you, then you are in for a world of hurt. where would you be if you clients jumped ship on you for a lower offer?

rodfather
02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Spend the extra 6 bills...a year from now you won't even remember it. Your employees and dealer is what makes you successful in the long run. Even too, think about how much that $600 is going to mean through the life of a 3000 hour machine.

CleanCutMaint
02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
I wish I were at the point where $600 was "nothing". Like I said before, $600 on this piece of equipment, then $XXX on the next piece, $XXX on the next and so on. It's great to find a dealer that gives you great service but putting out potentially hundreds or thousands of dollars to keep that dealer happy seems a bit much for me. He needs me as much or more than I need him, I would think he could give me a better deal. I would pay extra, just not $600 extra. He knows what the other dealer is selling it for, so he shouldn't be suprised by someone asking him to come down a little.

Roger
02-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm a smaller operator than most of the rest, but I've learned buying from the higher priced dealer does not equate to good service. My experiences have been poor, regardless of dealer costs. I've pretty well given up with dealer service. Maybe I just don't buy enough .... I've learned to do the repairs myself.

I've made decisions on loyalty a few times, willing to pay the higher price, but later found myself put out to dry. Enough with broken promises, lack of a simple phone call, restating the obvious that I already knew. And, I have not been outrageous in requests, yelled/screamed, or other obnoxious behaviors.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Roger and everyone else the dealer he has he says is excellent the dealer I recommend if he wants to change is excellent. The dealer with the cheaper price I happen to know personally he sucks. I would not even buy a spark plug from him in fact I won’t brake for him either he has the smallest shop you can imagine seldom has a employee that even knows what he is doing. Has next to nothing in spare parts. He charges for a demo while he fixes your mower he often takes 5 weeks to fix something. The dealers in question are not unknown quantity’s it is not a belief that lower prices mean lower service in this case it happens to be a fact.

When you need something fixed do you expect to be put to the front of the line since it is your very livelihood on the line here? Well if you are loyal a good dealer will be there for you if not then get in the back of the line. I know allot of you smaller guys only have one mower simple question what happens to you when it’s down. How do you get your lawns cut? Your dealer becomes your best friend. That is not to say all dealers with high prices are good I fired several in 2 years of business. But when you do find one that is great the prices no longer matter to you.

sgoalie23
02-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Kelly,
Both my father (markf) and I agree with you regarding the poor service of the dealer number 2. We will not be purchasing anything from him. Your advice was not in vain. However, Hamden is a distance for us to cover. We cannot go on the Merritt. We came across dealer number 3, in Bethel. Have you or any other CT people used them? If service is questionable, end of story, we stick with number 1 despite the cost.

sgoalie23
02-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Follow Up. Thank you all for your input. Your advice was used. The dealer that Kelly Landscaping spoke about about was not used. Also, as advised, we called the dealer that we really wanted to use and he stated, as did you folks, get in writing. He matched the price and we pick up the new Exmark XS next weekend. By the way, Exmark has a plan till the end of the month, no payments and deferred interest until 1/06. OPM, (other peoples money), the way to go.
Thx. for all of your input. :waving: