PDA

View Full Version : Killin Gophers

oldturf
02-02-2005, 11:56 PM
I have several large soccer fields that have large numbers of gophers. I need something that is very effective in getting rid of them. :help: Any help appreciated.

MMLawn
02-02-2005, 11:58 PM
.22 Long to the head area :cool2:

JB1
02-03-2005, 12:01 AM
C-4 it worked for the guy in caddyshack.

lawncare3
02-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Get yourself a pellet gun with at least 1000 fps. One **** and it will shoot as powerful as a lowergrade .22. You could also go with a semi automatic paintball gun. I can get the birds flyin out of the sky. ;) :D

lawncare4u
02-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Take a lawnmower and hook a garden hose to the exhaust,put the other end down in the hole.........put a cork in the other end of the hole,,,should take care of business :waving:

Richard Martin
02-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Have you tried contacting your local county extension office? They should have some tried and true methods for dealing with gophers in a humane way. You may be able to trap and remove or something like that.

Moonlight
02-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Do you have an ornamental and turf license? I have very good luck with zinc phoshide. I get it at B&G. Gophers are very time consuming. Knock down the mounds after you have treated that particular run, you won't forget where you treated. If there is a really bad problem I get 4.00 per thousand square feet. On a site that large I could probably do it for a little less. You can also rent a machine that you pull behind a tractor that injects poisoned seeds into the soil. Careful around the kids....

the scaper
02-03-2005, 09:48 AM
You need to do a search and look up the old "Hoight White" threads, this will give you some interesting insite on the subject.

rookie03
02-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Groundhogs are very tough and you will not kill one with a .22. You will need more of a .243 type gun. They are very tough animals and are very very mean. Groundhogs are very smart too. We have thousands of groundhogs in this area. About 15 years ago you wouldn't ever find a groundhog around here, but now days they can take out your crops (beans, corn, rice) around here. If they catch the fields early and eat the tops out of the plants they can take over a good portion of a 300 acre field. Leaving the farmer with nothing to harvest. They will completely destroy a trap, you may be able to catch a very young one in it, but don't look at catching a grown one in a trap. Like I said before, they are very smart. Sometimes you can't get within 400 yards to get one. If the soccer fields are in the country and taking groundhogs in your part of the country is legal then that's going to be your best option. They multiply very fast. So the quicker you get them out, the better. I would say you will never completely get rid of them in that area now though.

Cut-Rite2
02-03-2005, 11:10 AM
The gophers around here are very persistant. There is a cow pasture behind my property where gophers are coming from and invading my yard. I have tried poison smoke bombs and using a 6 foot PVC pipe attached to a garden hose to try and drown them by "drilling" into the soil into their tunnels. Unfortunately, the soil here in florida is very sandy, and the water from my hose is draining down a lot before the tunnels get filled. They are most active at dawn or dusk and I have had a little success if I see one of them tossing sand out of the tunnel, and I go out right away and flood them immediately, but mostly I have just been able to harass them off my property into the vacant lot next to mine. The exhaust from a lawnmower trick sounds good, but you have to get them when they are active. During the day, they plug the entrance to the dens with a hard clod of dirt, so a lot of these methods won't work unless you actually see them digging up the turf, and then they don't have time to plug the tunnel. I called the extension service here and they sent me information, but their solution is to use traps, and I don't see that as a useful alternative.

Richard Martin
02-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Groundhogs are very tough and you will not kill one with a .22.

Wrong critter dude. :cool:

K c m
02-03-2005, 02:44 PM
awww. Don't kill them :(

Dig-it Landscaping
02-03-2005, 03:07 PM
My grandman swears by using bubble gum. it would be safer and easier to do than most methods. go buy some of that berry flavored gum that comes in big pieces not sticks of gum. it think it is bubble yum brand. chew 2-3 pieces in your mouth and put it by the hole. they like the taste and it chokes them to death. thatll probably be safer if it is where kids play soccer. if you have anymore questions pm me

marko
02-03-2005, 03:40 PM
I found this on http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ipm/msg1219400029742.html

Within my experience of trapping and killing gophers for 40 years I've found only two methods that produce results. 1) The MacAfee trap-and, 2)Bottle of Propane(trailer or barbecue tank) equipped with 8 to 10 ft. rubber hose. Open gopher run. Stuff hose down hole. Cover hole entrance with dirt or mud. Open propane valve. Leave open till you smell gas. Close valve. Go watch TV for and hour. Pull hose out of run and celebrate victory.

Hope it helps. The gum one is in there as well, but they caution against touching it with your hands. It is suppose to stop up their intestines (how I have no idea).

oldturf
02-03-2005, 07:24 PM
I found this on http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ipm/msg1219400029742.html

Within my experience of trapping and killing gophers for 40 years I've found only two methods that produce results. 1) The MacAfee trap-and, 2)Bottle of Propane(trailer or barbecue tank) equipped with 8 to 10 ft. rubber hose. Open gopher run. Stuff hose down hole. Cover hole entrance with dirt or mud. Open propane valve. Leave open till you smell gas. Close valve. Go watch TV for and hour. Pull hose out of run and celebrate victory.

Hope it helps. The gum one is in there as well, but they caution against touching it with your hands. It is suppose to stop up their intestines (how I have no idea).

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have managed to shoot only two gophers in my life and they were in open pasture. I'm afraid if I produce a gun around a bunch of kids I would be lynched. I have tried to flood them and gas them with exhaust fumes. In one field there are probably around 40 of the critters and these methods have not worked. Traps have not worked, I guess they are smarter than me. The propane method sounds good if the bubble gum doesn't work. I have 10 grandkids and I am sure that they will be more than happy to help with the pre-chewing chores. If I have to resort to the propane, I wonder what the per animal cost will be. I am afraid to use the different poisons that are available around the kids. I'll let you know how it works out.

o-so-n-so
02-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Free Roaming Cats should do it.

the scaper
02-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Best of luck with the endevor Oldturf, did you get a chance to check out the hoight posts? -A little humor mixed with information!

Norm Al
02-03-2005, 11:38 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/caddyshack/rodney_dangerfield/caddyshack.jpg