PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding (post search)

Acute Cut
01-30-2001, 11:00 PM
I already did a search on here and read all of the forums. The question that i didnt really see an answer to is why NOT use a broadcast spreader for the grass seed.

I understand that aerating is great before. I will do that. I may even have a few lawns that need thatching pre-seed. Do i need to spend $$$$$ on a split seeder? Will broadcasting the seed be THAT much different. I will be using kentucky blue and perhaps some perrenial rye. (As native to my area i believe.)

Thatch is not the greatest of problems up here. Mostly it is moss. I understand that contact is best.

Basically it goes back to what is really "Necessary".

Thanks for the help all.
If it was in the search feature i never read one that answered this question. Hope i read well and aint wasting no ones time.

Acute Cut

TGCummings
01-30-2001, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of doing some broadcast seeding this year myself, and maybe getting into slit-seeding next year. What do some of you think?

-TGC

Eric ELM
01-30-2001, 11:11 PM
I have core aerated and then broadcast seeded bare areas along with the rest of the lawn and gotten a good stand of grass. If you have bare areas, go over it twice with the core aerator for more holes. The seed will wash into the holes and then get a layer of dirt over it and you will find grass in every hole once it comes up. I only set it to go in 2" when aerating for overseeding.

KirbysLawn
01-30-2001, 11:27 PM
I've only slit-seeded one lawn and that was for Bremuda. I either aerate or aeravate lawns then spread seed with my trusty Lesco spreader. Works good for me.

Mr.Ziffel
01-31-2001, 01:07 AM
Hey Junior, I used 300# of perennial rye on a newly renovated .75 acre area and overseed on another .75. The bare ground was spread by broadcast and then gone over with a 14' mulcher/roller we use for the big fields--I just cut it for the first time with my new Lazer and it was very thick and tall. The overseeded area was lightly raked and broadcast seeded and I can't tell that it's really done anything--same seed, same spreader but not rolled.

The Everett Home Depot rents slit seeders for $45/day or $180/week so you may want to check your store up there and give it a try. I'm going to overseed again in a few weeks. Right now it's moles I'm having a problem with--I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack--HELP!

Will

GroundKprs
01-31-2001, 01:25 AM
1- Properly prepared and sown new lawn: 90%-95% germination & survival, only limit is seed viability rate

2- Broadcast seed over existing lawn: 15% germination & survival

3- Slitseeding: 65% germination & survival

Broadcast seeding after aeration: definitely better than #2, but probably nowhere near #3. Never saw any hard numbers on this procedure from research.
Would in fact be highly variable, depending on the amount of soil pulled up. In this procedure you are depending on the chance of soil being dissolved, by irrigation, to settle around the seeds. In slitseeding, you are actually depositing the seed in the soil.

Acute Cut
01-31-2001, 01:45 AM
Mr. Ziffel:
We should meet sometime and chat. I think i could learn alot from you if you have the time. Let me know. (You know i am no where near your competition area so you have no worries)

I am currently chatting with some lawn care guys in this "general" area to do lunch every so often. Some are from here at lawnsite even.

Call me. If you lost my # then email me and ill send it again.

Acute Cut

BRL
01-31-2001, 07:55 AM
#2 should also be raked in. If I can't rake it in I rent the slit seeder. If you just broadcast over ground without raking it in to the soil, you're wasting the seed & your time. 15% return is not so hot.

dylan
01-31-2001, 08:39 AM
You could topdress with topsoil or compost at the same time you are pulling cores and seeding which would provide more soil for the seeds to contact and germinate in.

lawrence stone
01-31-2001, 09:21 AM
Reseeding ala Stone:

Small areas like the goals around the soccer and field hockey goals:

Using a snapper core plugger plug 4X
Using a snapper power rake make a seed bed
Broadcast 50/50 blue rye mix with a lesco push spreader
Rake seed into fine soil with a hand rake
Use a 70 year old WPA roller in two directions
Apply Penn Mulch
Water

Large areas like between the hash marks of a football field: