PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper Flatlander wont go up hills.

Tight Angles
02-03-2005, 01:23 AM
I have a 2002 Dixie Chopper Flatlander that runs great, but has trouble going up hills, or even the slightest incline. Just because it is a Flatlander doesn't mean it can't go up hills, does it? The dealer said it could be the hydraulic pump and there is nothing you can do about it. I have two other Dixie Choppers, non-Flatlanders, and they're fine. Anybody else have this problem?

Metro Lawn
02-03-2005, 02:12 AM
Maybe there is something to it's name...lol

Richard Martin
02-03-2005, 08:49 AM
They don't call it a Flatlander for nothing. You could swap out the pumps for a smaller set but that will slow the mower down.

FrankenScagMachines
02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
In order for a FlatLander to be faster on flat areas, they had to use a different combo of pumps and motors, which in turn sacrifices drive wheel torque on hills. Surely it should go up mild hills. I have been told by the people at Dixie Chopper that the FlatLander's design is such that to use on hills alot would put too much strain on the hydraulics.

Hydraulic pump and wheel motor theory of operation on zero turn mowers:
Each side (left and right) of the mower has one hydraulic pump and one hydraulic wheel motor. Your pump is driven by a belt from the engine (some mowers use shaft drive, most belt). The pump pumps hydraulic fluid through the hoses and powers the wheel motor (your wheels mount directly on the wheel motor). The key to speed is a larger wheel motor than the pump is, so the motor turns faster. The key to sheer torque on hillsides and other such demanding situations, would be a smaller pump for the wheel motor, as Richard Martin suggests.

It is most definatley possible to change the pumps or wheel motors. Dixie Chopper offers many different sizes of pumps and motors that you could swap out, sacrificing two or three MPH in speed.
The FlatLander was designed for ultimate productivity in flat open spaces.

Pumper
02-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey Tight Angles,

The pumps and motors work together. The smaller the pump, the less flow. The less flow means the motors turn slower. To get more torque, you have to increase the motor size. However, this also slows the machine down.

Have you talked to your dealer? The drive system on the Flatlander is not that different from the Supreme Mowchines. The biggest differences are the engines and the tires (26" vs the normal 24" diameter, this also increases speed). It sounds like something is going on that shouldn't be. You should either call your dealer to call directly to Dixie Chopper.

Eric 1
02-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Maybe the dump valves worked open a little?

Maybe the belt is slipping?

Or it could be low on fluid or need new filters.

They are more geared toward open land, but should go up hills with out the loss of that much speed.

ProMo
02-05-2005, 09:17 AM
The only time mine has ever had a problem is when the belt needs replacement

Lawnworks
02-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Something is definately wrong w/ your machine. My flatlander will go up any hill a regular Chopper will, and I have 1200 hours w/ flat and hilly use w/ no problems. I would replace your drive belt before I did anything w/ the pumps.