PDA

View Full Version : How much is to much?

Shawns Lawns
02-03-2005, 03:22 AM
At what point do you all stop putting money into your truck and just go out and buy a new one? I weigh the options and now i would just pay for the repair which is cheaper than a new one, but the repairs are coming more frequently now. :waving:

lawncare3
02-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Well I knew it was time to buy a truck when I purchased it for $1300 and had about $2200 in repairs done. Sold it for $1000. Also had another that was purchased for $1500, had $1500 in repairs done in a months time. I got $500 for it.

My dad works for dodge and I can get u a great deal on a NEW one. I will have to check with him. :) :waving:

GarPA
02-03-2005, 04:48 AM
That decision is always a tough one....when I get into that situation I go to my favorite mechanic and have him do a real thorough analysis of the overall condition of every component of the truck...I mean EVERYTHING.

To that I factor I guesstimate the cost to maintain for the next year or 2 based on what he tells me. Then I look at the incentives/financing for buying a new one.(I am not a fan of buying used trucks unless I know who owned it before)

As far as knowing when to stop thowing money into it, perhaps you can think of it like:
- if you think you eat too much...you proabley do
- if you think you drink too much, you probably do
- and if you think you are putting too much money into a vehicle that is on borrowed time, you probably are

timturf
02-03-2005, 05:10 AM
I read some where, that as long as the monthly repair bills are less than monthly vechile payment, keep on fixing it! I believe their is some truth to that, I HATE being car poor!!!!! BUT YOUR VECHILE MUST BE DEPENDABLE, CAN YOU TAKE IT ANYWHERE, IN OTHER WORDS, WOULD YOU HOP IN RIGHT NOW, AND TAKE AN EMERGENCY TRIP OF 1000 MILES! I think if you can do that, and maintence cost are less then a new car payment, keep on fixing it!

I use an old mini van and trailer for fert andpest applications, and for my 8 mowing ( total landscape maintence) client, and have old (85) 1 ton crew cab truck / 5 ton trailer for new lawn installs, renovations- overseeding. All have been paid for for a long time. Will soon be replacing mimi van, with my wife old one, she's getting a new one soon!

GarPA
02-03-2005, 05:33 AM
yep...being car-poor does suk...I keep them for at least 10 years when I buy them new...so long as the body integrity is good...when it starts to need body putty thats when I say bye bye...I wont ride around in something that looks like it belongs to Sanford & Son... :cool:

PMLAWN
02-03-2005, 05:48 AM
This is a question best answered by your accountant.

Todd's lawncare
02-03-2005, 06:06 AM
what is it ? ill buy it

FrankenScagMachines
02-03-2005, 12:17 PM
I admit I have been in almost the same shoes lately, but I think i've come to a decision.

A few things I really want to get in the next year or two WERE:
New(er) truck
Utility tractor and a few attachments
House and a little property with a nice shop facility.

For this season, I was able to work out a deal to get a nice shop facility for practically nothing, so thats a great relief. I thought maybe I would upgrade the truck this year, but if I did that, I would have alot less money to put toward a house and property. The lady that has the shop I'm getting now, wants to move next year. it is a single story with basement on 2.75 acres, 30x40 pole barn w/concrete floor, and nice driveway for my purposes. I think I would probably like to get this place, it is in a nice neighborhood, the property, house, and neighborhood are well suitable for having a family in the future, good setup and location for business, close to town, neighbors not incredibly close by, etc. So, I prioritized that I would rather have the house than a newer nicer looking truck. My truck is a 1989 Ford F350 flatbed. I don't have much money in it, and its very reliable and can do anything I need. I just wanted something that looks newer and nicer and would get better gas mileage when not towing a trailer (when towing I don't care what it gets too much), as mine has a 460 7.5 liter gas motor. I weighed the options, and I think I will make do with this one another season or maybe two, unless I replace it with something at an auction if I could get it cheap, otherwise this one will do for a while longer yet. With all the money I'll save not getting something newer, I can put that toward a lot of extra gas in this one... If I wanted I could have this one painted pretty reasonably since it would just be the cab area to paint. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that its all in your priorities and what you have to work with. I know that what it would cost me to buy a new(er) truck would take a LOT of money away from that house down-payment, and this truck is not unreliable a bit, and its not an eyesore, so I decided I would keep this one and maybe put a little money into fixing it up to look nicer, but not get too extravagant on it... I would only buy a truck if I can pay for it in cash.

As long as what you're driving isn't an eyesore, and is reasonably reliable, I think it's cheaper to repair it as needed than make payments on something new. I'm not saying that if you're spending $500 a month on repairs that thats ok, but if you have to repair it for a few hundred bucks every couple months or whatever, I'd think about living with it if I could....

rodfather
02-03-2005, 12:21 PM
...so long as the body integrity is good...when it starts to need body putty thats when I say bye bye...I wont ride around in something that looks like it belongs to Sanford & Son... :cool:

Same here. When either the doors, fenders, tailgate, cabcorners, etc., are rusted out, it's hasta la vista.

timturf
02-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I admit I have been in almost the same shoes lately, but I think i've come to a decision.

A few things I really want to get in the next year or two WERE:
New(er) truck
Utility tractor and a few attachments
House and a little property with a nice shop facility.

For this season, I was able to work out a deal to get a nice shop facility for practically nothing, so thats a great relief. I thought maybe I would upgrade the truck this year, but if I did that, I would have alot less money to put toward a house and property. The lady that has the shop I'm getting now, wants to move next year. it is a single story with basement on 2.75 acres, 30x40 pole barn w/concrete floor, and nice driveway for my purposes. I think I would probably like to get this place, it is in a nice neighborhood, the property, house, and neighborhood are well suitable for having a family in the future, good setup and location for business, close to town, neighbors not incredibly close by, etc. So, I prioritized that I would rather have the house than a newer nicer looking truck. My truck is a 1989 Ford F350 flatbed. I don't have much money in it, and its very reliable and can do anything I need. I just wanted something that looks newer and nicer and would get better gas mileage when not towing a trailer (when towing I don't care what it gets too much), as mine has a 460 7.5 liter gas motor. I weighed the options, and I think I will make do with this one another season or maybe two, unless I replace it with something at an auction if I could get it cheap, otherwise this one will do for a while longer yet. With all the money I'll save not getting something newer, I can put that toward a lot of extra gas in this one... If I wanted I could have this one painted pretty reasonably since it would just be the cab area to paint. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that its all in your priorities and what you have to work with. I know that what it would cost me to buy a new(er) truck would take a LOT of money away from that house down-payment, and this truck is not unreliable a bit, and its not an eyesore, so I decided I would keep this one and maybe put a little money into fixing it up to look nicer, but not get too extravagant on it... I would only buy a truck if I can pay for it in cash.

As long as what you're driving isn't an eyesore, and is reasonably reliable, I think it's cheaper to repair it as needed than make payments on something new. I'm not saying that if you're spending $500 a month on repairs that thats ok, but if you have to repair it for a few hundred bucks every couple months or whatever, I'd think about living with it if I could....

great post

DennisF
02-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Some thing that you also have to factor in to the decision for replacing is the lost revenue while the truck is being repaired. If the repairs are running $300 per month and the lost revenue is $500 per day of downtime it might be wise to replace it with something more reliable.

Shawns Lawns
02-03-2005, 01:52 PM
The truck in question is a 1989 Chevy ck1500, standard, v8, 4wd, it has 91,000 miles and when clean looks nice for its age. It has no (can you believe it) surface rust and its not an eyesore and i do not mind driving it around. Most of the things are maintance issues like tires, shocks, ball joints, exhaust, brakes and lines. Also replaced windshield and now the starter and headgaskets went in it yesterday. I think the only other things that could go wrong in the future is the transmission and the clutch and maybe the rear end (thats cuz i have not fixed or replaced them yet). I know its cheaper than paying excise tax on a new or newer one and cheaper on insurance. This was supposed to be the year to get that new ZTR i have been eyeing for 2 years. :waving:

timturf
02-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Some thing that you also have to factor in to the decision for replacing is the lost revenue while the truck is being repaired. If the repairs are running $300 per month and the lost revenue is $500 per day of downtime it might be wise to replace it with something more reliable.

Good point!

Have a mechanic evaluate it, but 90,000 miles isn't alot. Are you the only owner, if not , do you know how it was treat before you bought it.

If the answer to these question where good, I fix it!

all ferris
02-03-2005, 02:23 PM
About 4 years ago i had a 1990 chevy 2500 4x4 and at about 120k miles I put a new motor and auto trans in it for about $3500. I bought the truck for $6500 when it had 105k miles. I drove the truck for 3 years and sold it (170k miles) for $6600. That means it only cost me about $1100 per year or $3400 for 65k miles. Oh, I did have to put a starter in it so add $100. Don't get me wrong, I love my new truck but the old one did the same thing for alot cheaper. The new truck I have is great but I would have to drive it for about 35 years (with no break downs) to get the same type of return as I did on the 1990. I don't think this will happen, but I love the Duramax power.

Oh, I did have to put new tires on the 1990 too, so add another $500 but you all get the idea that the old truck was way cheaper.

twins_lawn_care
02-03-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm currently in the same spot, but mine is a no brainer, as money is tight anyways. 1991 Chevy K1500 W/T. so far I have changed the transmission, fuel pump, fual tank (same time), water pump, and recently tires.
The thing is I am able to do all the repairs (Except I had the trans done for warranty purposes) so that saves me a lot of money. Bought the truck for $2500, and it serves the purpose. I'll keep it until it makes no sense to keep fixing it. But you mention only 91,000 miles, which is not much at all. Mine has 190,000, and keeps on going.

Obviously when I can, I will probably upgrade, but may just keep this one as a backup, or into a plow vehicle.

easier to fix every couple months, then make a payment every month right now in my situation. good advice here on the board though, and I think you have to take it all in, and evaluate your situation.

Shawns Lawns
02-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Good point!

Have a mechanic evaluate it, but 90,000 miles isn't alot. Are you the only owner, if not , do you know how it was treat before you bought it.

If the answer to these question where good, I fix it!

The original owner was a customer of mine i bought it about 6 years ago from him and it only had 22,000 miles on it then. He sold it because he could no longer get into it. :waving:

Leone LawnCare
02-03-2005, 02:55 PM
one thing that i have noticed isnt a factor is the image. A new clean truck is going to pay for itself by the customers that see that you take car of your stuff so you will take care of them

packerbacker
02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
I have the same problem. I have a 97 F-250 that needs a new front end. Its going to be anywhere between 1500 and 2400 to fix. Its got 130,000 miles on it but the engine and transmisson are in great shape. I bought a couple years ago for 12,000 and i owe about 1500 it. Do i fix it or buy a new one. It would be nice to not have a vehicle payment.

Shawns Lawns
02-03-2005, 03:41 PM
one thing that i have noticed isnt a factor is the image. A new clean truck is going to pay for itself by the customers that see that you take car of your stuff so you will take care of them

Do you ever feel that customers sometimes think you might charge way to much if they see you in a $40,000 truck? :waving:

timturf
02-03-2005, 03:43 PM

Truck doesn't need to be new, but clean, well kept look, plus very dependable

timturf
02-03-2005, 03:51 PM
I have the same problem. I have a 97 F-250 that needs a new front end. Its going to be anywhere between 1500 and 2400 to fix. Its got 130,000 miles on it but the engine and transmisson are in great shape. I bought a couple years ago for 12,000 and i owe about 1500 it. Do i fix it or buy a new one. It would be nice to not have a vehicle payment.

My wife drove a mini van ,4cyl for 220,ooo miles, before I replaced the engine, (needed badly) and trans, ( was working fine), with a used engine and tran, she drove it another 40,ooo miles before i replaced it, I took her old van, and retired it this winter, at 180,000 miles (blew a head gasket)

My pointis, 130,000 miles is nothing anymore, even if you only half as take care of it!

timturf
02-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Do you ever feel that customers sometimes think you might charge way to much if they see you in a $40,000 truck? :waving:

crosses my mind!

packerbacker
02-03-2005, 03:56 PM
My wife drove a mini van ,4cyl for 220,ooo miles, before I replaced the engine, (needed badly) and trans, ( was working fine), with a used engine and tran, she drove it another 40,ooo miles before i replaced it, I took her old van, and retired it this winter, at 180,000 miles (blew a head gasket)

My pointis, 130,000 miles is nothing anymore, even if you only half as take care of it!
'

Everything else on the truck is great. Its very clean with only 1 little dent in the rear end but its the damn front end that needs to be replaced. The guy at ford said i should get at least another 50,000 miles out of it but ill get another 1000 with the front end before it falls to pieces.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-03-2005, 04:02 PM
The truck in question is a 1989 Chevy ck1500, standard, v8, 4wd, it has 91,000 miles and when clean looks nice for its age. It has no (can you believe it) surface rust and its not an eyesore and i do not mind driving it around. Most of the things are maintance issues like tires, shocks, ball joints, exhaust, brakes and lines. Also replaced windshield and now the starter and headgaskets went in it yesterday. I think the only other things that could go wrong in the future is the transmission and the clutch and maybe the rear end (thats cuz i have not fixed or replaced them yet). I know its cheaper than paying excise tax on a new or newer one and cheaper on insurance. This was supposed to be the year to get that new ZTR i have been eyeing for 2 years. :waving:
Like you have stated, you have replaced alot of the stuff that could give you some major problems. If I was you, I would replace the fluid in the front and rear ends , the tranny, and transfer case. It will do 2 things, remove any metal and also give you a chance to look at the fluids and see if you have alot of bearing material or shavings in it. That may give you some insight as to keep the truck or maybe let it go before some part of the drive line breaks

Shawns Lawns
02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Like you have stated, you have replaced alot of the stuff that could give you some major problems. If I was you, I would replace the fluid in the front and rear ends , the tranny, and transfer case. It will do 2 things, remove any metal and also give you a chance to look at the fluids and see if you have alot of bearing material or shavings in it. That may give you some insight as to keep the truck or maybe let it go before some part of the drive line breaks

the garage did check the rear end awhile ago and said that to them there seemed to be a lot of play. They did not do that type of work but said they knew someone that knew how to shim it? i have not had that done yet and i probable won't until something happens. At this point if i tried to sell it online shows i would only get about $2500-3000 i will have already put that much into it. :waving:

FrankenScagMachines
02-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I agree with timturf.. a well maintained truck will last many miles. My last truck was a 1990 F250 2wd, 351W, 5 spd stick shift. It was a company truck all its life before i got it, 186k miles. Never had anything in the bed and never pulled anything in all its life, but was driven hard most every day it went out (foremans truck for a concrete company). I drove it another 10k miles, sold at 196k miles... I saw a few major repairs coming so I let it go while it was still worth a little bit. It looked good, the body was in pretty decent shape, and it ran good and strong, but I could see things starting to go to pot....
Current truck has 170k miles on it, but only 100k on rebuilt engine. Tranny rebuilt 2 1/2 years ago. So, I expect much more from it as well.
My parents have a '92 Ford one ton van (12 passenger) with a 351W and automatic overdrive transmission. It has 206k miles on it, all original never had anything done to it, and it does not leak or burn any oil or other fluids and runs just as strong as a new one. But, my family is meticulous on maintenance.

Bottom Line- take care of your stuff and it will take care of you!

Ps- I still want a new truck :waving:

dlandscaping
02-03-2005, 04:44 PM
I had a 95 f250 cost me almost $10k between lost value, repairs nevermind fuel and downtime. I drove it 8k miles and traded it in on an 03 f350 brand new. Well three days after getting that $40k truck- it broke down- again lost revenue. I bought two 2004 f350's this year, so far one minor problem that was a half hf downtime. I get better gas mileage and no worries. BTW Ive got about 25k miles between the two of them. I am a fan of new trucks now. You cant really give me a used truck. As far as the customers not paying if you have big new truck-never happened they dont care.

ed2hess
02-03-2005, 06:42 PM
We have a 1989 Chev CK1500 with 157,000 miles but engine oil pressure is down and valves noisy So looks like we will be needing a rebuilt. It had a rebuilt transmission last year, so I guess we will put more money in it.

Shawns Lawns
02-03-2005, 07:46 PM
as well as paying for a new truck with more insurance and a payment, here it also costs $24 per 1000 of msrp for excise tax. Can they rip us off anymore? :cry:

K.Carothers
02-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Same here. When either the doors, fenders, tailgate, cabcorners, etc., are rusted out, it's hasta la vista.

If the engine is strong why dump the truck when you can replace a fender,tailgate etc... from a salvage yard? Sand,primer then paint entire truck. You can save tons. When the motor is gone then dump it!

lawnguyland
02-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm all for a nice looking, well running used truck. I really wanted a brand new one and almost got one, but instead decided to keep my old one (87 ford f250 4wd) and buy a nicer used 93 ford f150 2wd in good shape.
This has a few advantages for me (solo). One is there is no significant downtime as I have a back-up truck for an extra $80/month in insurance. Few repairs since not often driven. I also use the 4wd for snow operations, hauling soil, mulch, debris without unloading anything in newer 2wd truck. One snow storm more than pays insrance for the old one for the year.

The second thing I like about not having a new truck is that I don't care when I get it dirty. I really don't mind so much if I bash into it with something or scratch it. If it were new I'd freak out I'm sure. Plus depreciation. Plus I don't want any potential future employees (none if I can help it though) to be driving a new truckif that's the co. vehicle. Oh yeah, the insurance is way cheaper and if it blows up I don't care. I'd rather buy 6 $5,000 trucks than 1 for $30,000 or 3 for 15k and have 15k for repairs etc.

yamadooski
02-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Been doing the lawn biz for 13 yrs now.
My accountant set me up on a budget to buy a new truck every 2 years.
The year we dont buy a new truck we buy all new equipment.
Never have had any down time in 13 years and I definatly dont look like a scrub.

Scag48
02-04-2005, 01:19 AM
I'm a fan of buying late model trucks with higher mileage on them. I bought a fully loaded (minus the leather) 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 HD this spring with 125K miles from a friend and it's been a great truck. Had an '82 GMC Sierra 1500 before with the dreaded 6.2 litre diesel GM pile of an engine. So far I've put about 12K miles on my new truck, no problems yet. It needed some things as these trucks do, right now I'm getting parts to put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor in it so I get a little better mileage, it's kind of doggin it right now and could use a bit of a tune. I paid $11,000 for the truck with a matching painted Leer canopy. So far I've spent $250 for a tranny flush and $650 for new tires, that's it. We'll see how she holds up. Hoping to get 200K out of her before I trade in, but with college next year I might not put more than about 5K miles on it in the 4 years I'm at college so I might sell it before I get outta school.

JKOOPERS
02-04-2005, 01:40 AM
its time if you are spending more money on the truck fixing it , than you would be making if it wasnt broke.

Shawns Lawns
02-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I am really not losing money in down time since i dont do much in the winter. So i would like to get to 150,000 like some people on here have done. I would really like a new one and someday i will, right know i am having it fixed and will probably always keep it as a backup. But when you NEED a dependable truck that will be running everyday its just a matter of time till the next thing goes wrong and at that time i might be at a customers house. (not a good thought)

newbomb
02-05-2005, 11:06 PM
I am really not losing money in down time since i dont do much in the winter. So i would like to get to 150,000 like some people on here have done. I would really like a new one and someday i will, right know i am having it fixed and will probably always keep it as a backup. But when you NEED a dependable truck that will be running everyday its just a matter of time till the next thing goes wrong and at that time i might be at a customers house. (not a good thought)

Shawn, as I was once told "know the difference between need and want". I bought my 2000 F350 last Christmas to replace my 1986 C20 chevy. The Chevy was rusted from sitting when I wasn't mowing. So now I have a reliable truck BUT I also have a $500 a month payment, forever. If I were you what I would do is: Have your truck looked at by a mechanic to see what obvious problems exist. I would try to fix them and get another year or two out of it. If you can do that, then buy the ZTR you mentioned. A rider will definately put money in your pocket faster than a new truck. If i could do it over I would not have bought this truck and possibly not bought oa truck at all.

-paul

timturf
02-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Shawn, as I was once told "know the difference between need and want". I bought my 2000 F350 last Christmas to replace my 1986 C20 chevy. The Chevy was rusted from sitting when I wasn't mowing. So now I have a reliable truck BUT I also have a $500 a month payment, forever. If I were you what I would do is: Have your truck looked at by a mechanic to see what obvious problems exist. I would try to fix them and get another year or two out of it. If you can do that, then buy the ZTR you mentioned. A rider will definately put money in your pocket faster than a new truck. If i could do it over I would not have bought this truck and possibly not bought oa truck at all.

-paul

Paul,

very good post, in fact excellent!!!
Did you need the F350, or would a smaller truck have worked?

My wife drove 1989 ply. mini van for 220,000 miles, 4cyl, @ 20,000 miles a year before the engine HAD to be replacewd , and I'll admit at times I went to long between oil changes!

A vehicle is a NECESSARY EVIL

Shawns Lawns
02-06-2005, 08:56 AM

-paul

I agree with you i do need and want a new truck. But i think my want is more than my need. I could fix it and thats what i am doing now. What really pisses me off is that i will never be able to sell it and recoupe the money i have recently spent fixing it. I think your right a new ZTR will make me more money. :waving:

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 09:37 AM
I think you should forget recoupeing the money spent. You will do no better buying a new one. When I bought my 95chevy dually,(year 2000). I was looking at the new trucks. What I found was that the new trucks similar to the 95 cost around $37000. The owner of the 95model wanted $13000 for the truck. 37000-13000=24000 depreciation in 5 years. Thats almost $5000 per year. By the time you add in sales tax and title fees, insurance ect it would of been over $5000 per year in lost value of the truck not to mention the payments which would have run about $6000+ peryear. That totals up to over $11000 per year just to own a new truck. That made my purchase of the 95 chevy a no brainer. I can do a lot of work on a truck for $11000 per year. I have now been driving the 95 chevy for 5 years, during that time I have replaced two clutches $900 each and the fuel injector pump $1700 or a total of $3500. Of course that doesnt count brakes or tires which I would of had to replace even if I bought a new vehicle. $13000+$3500=$16500, not much more than one years cost of owning a new truck. And I plan on driving the 95 for a few more years at which time I will be looking for another used truck.

Shawns Lawns
02-06-2005, 01:13 PM
muddstopper when you get a used truck how many years old do you look for? i would kind of like to stay in this decade if i do go used. :waving:

newbomb
02-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Paul,

very good post, in fact excellent!!!
Did you need the F350, or would a smaller truck have worked?

My wife drove 1989 ply. mini van for 220,000 miles, 4cyl, @ 20,000 miles a year before the engine HAD to be replacewd , and I'll admit at times I went to long between oil changes!

A vehicle is a NECESSARY EVIL

Tim I was looking for a good used 3/4 ton 4x4 2 door for around $15,000 but what I was finding was junk. A friend of mine bought the F350 with lottery winnings. He need it like an elephant needs wings. He needed to sell it and I knew it was clean and strong, Never had a plow either. So I jumped in. Sorry I didn't keep the beater though.

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Shawn, I dont know if I really look at the age when looking for a truck. I prefer something that will do what I want it to with minimal cost. I bought a 2000 dodge pickup with only 27000 miles last year. I got a good price and it was still covered by warranty. I just try to shop until I find the bargain I want. I look for low mileage and low price. I have found that if you are not in a hurry you can find a bargain, its when your wants get ahead of your reasoning that you end up getting burnt. For the heavy trucks, 3/4 and 1 tons I have found that if you visit the horse shows and such you can always find a good truck with low miles that the owners have already took the depreciation on but will last for a long time. These trucks are usually all dressed up and loaded to boot. Dont look to a farmer to get a good bargain on a truck, they use them until they are used up. Its the wantabe farmers that have the good stuff. They are more for show than go and are traded when they get dirty.

YardPro
02-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Tim I was looking for a good used 3/4 ton 4x4 2 door for around $15,000 but what I was finding was junk. A friend of mine bought the F350 with lottery winnings. He need it like an elephant needs wings. He needed to sell it and I knew it was clean and strong, Never had a plow either. So I jumped in. Sorry I didn't keep the beater though.

we got a new 2500 with utility body for $20K
i would think you should be able to find something in that range.

stay away from the " loaded" trucks. get a basic work package. leather looking vinyl seats ( my but can't tell the difference from leather).
am/fm... you can add a stereo later.

vinyl floors.........carpet gets messed up.

i can just hose mine out.

Shawns Lawns
02-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Yard Pro tell me more about that truck. :waving:

YardPro
02-07-2005, 08:41 PM
2004 chevy 2500 hd with tow package. 6.0l vortec 300 hp
4:11 rear end hyrdo boost brakes.
service body ( AKA utility body). reese hitch
vinyl interior, and floor
tilt, dual climate AC

$22500.00 out the door.

what else you want to know??

stumper1620
02-07-2005, 09:19 PM
At what point do you all stop putting money into your truck and just go out and buy a new one? I weigh the options and now i would just pay for the repair which is cheaper than a new one, but the repairs are coming more frequently now. :waving:
Pay out 100 bucks or so for a full safety inspection from a very reliable and trustworthy mechanic. A honest tech will give you a list of all your weak points that will be coming up on you in the next few months. is the radiator core deteriorating, ball joints,tie rods, U joints, sway bar links, shocks, all these and many other future problems give indications before actually going bad. see what the future holds for repair bills & decide from there.
I am certified master tech and i can honestly tell you a good tech can tell when a vehicle is going to start costing too much. :D :D

brucec32
02-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Most people don't think about it but you can break all vehicle costs down into 6 categories. The common mistake is to see things only in terms of short term cash flow ("can I make the payment?").

1. Cost of money (interest, NOT your whole car payment). If you paid cash, then it's how much the money invested in the vehicle could be invested at, after taxes.

2. Depreciation: How much value the vehicle loses. Do enough research and you can figure this number out pretty accurately. Laying off some options keeps this cost down. The middle trim level is usually the best at retaining value.

3. Fuel

4. Insurance

5. Maintenance and repairs

6. Tag/taxes

Do the math and you can come up with a value per year of use for each potential vehicle. Some vehicles are cheaper initially but don't hold their value well. Others are expensive but more reliable and cheaper to run.

To the above add in the cost of lost time wasted getting vehicles to/from a repair shop. In this business, a truck out of service a week or two in July can be a disaster, even if you can find a rental replacement.

My preference is to drive something relatively new and sell it every 4-5 years depending on how much I like it and how confident I am about it. Yes, it is cheaper to keep one a long time, but the combination of hassles getting older ones repaired, and the anxiety of wondering when the next breakdown will occur, makes me not want to have an older vehicle. These are getting heavy duty use, short trips, lots of starts, all with a load on. 75,000 miles on a work pickup is probably like 150,000 on one used for commuting.

Shawns Lawns
02-08-2005, 03:17 PM
2004 chevy 2500 hd with tow package. 6.0l vortec 300 hp
4:11 rear end hyrdo boost brakes.
service body ( AKA utility body). reese hitch
vinyl interior, and floor
tilt, dual climate AC

$22500.00 out the door.

what else you want to know??

is it a crew cab or extended cab and do you have any pics of it? i think i am looking for something similar. :waving:

Shawns Lawns
02-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Brucec32

Very good post and point. :waving:

Shawns Lawns
02-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Does anyone use there work truck as a personal truck as well? And if so purchasing a new truck would be just not to tote a trailer around but also vacations ect. :)

PMLAWN
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
There are a lot of people that drive the truck after work. That can lead to problems when buying one. Just look at the local water or electric utility company. Most do not drive a LT or XLT with a cd player or other fancy add-ons This can drive the price and cost up and eat into overhead. If all you are planning to do is cut grass you do not need a lifted 4x4 350 XLT with a Powerstroke or Duramax. A base model 1/2 ton with a 6 cyl will produce more profit, cost a lot less to buy and cost less to maintain.
As far as old vs. new. I like the new and the knowledge that for the most part the truck will be on the road. I do have a 1990 Ford that we use for construction because it does not run a route.
There are people on this site that run older trucks for the routes but they fix them up quite a bit before putting them into service. A lot depends on the time or the ability to get things fixed