PDA

View Full Version : Remove decals

MSYardman
02-03-2005, 12:59 PM
I've done a search, but didn't find this topic covered.

I recently purchased a small enclosed trailer from a plumber. I need to remove his company decal and phone numbers decal.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

packerbacker
02-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Heat them up and peel them off. Someone told me to use a hairdryer, its going to take a while to depending on how long they have been on.

ksland
02-03-2005, 01:05 PM
yup, heat them just a bit to make the vinyl flexible, then peel off. It takes some time. I know of no other way.

badranman
02-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Get a heat gun. They're pretty cheap or you can rent one. Use brake cleaner to get the glue residue off.

MMLawn
02-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Heatgun because f they have been on a while then a hairdyer probably won't have enough heat to get them off. Also depending on the color of the trailer and how long they were on the outline may remain on the trailer in a fading of the areas that were not cover. If it is just the outline glue some remover and a lot of elbow grease will get that off.

FrankenScagMachines
02-03-2005, 02:31 PM
When I bought my truck, the previous owner was a LCO, he had it for 10 years and I beleive it was lettered about the time that he purchased it in 1994. I removed the lettering with a hairdryer and a gasket scraper (looks like a screwdriver with a 1" wide flat tip). I'm sure a heat gun would speed things up, but there wasn't a lot of lettering on it, just what could be fit on the doors. You can kind of see where they were, but it mainly only visible when the truck is dirty and at the right angle.

You can take rubbing compound and get an electric buffer for $30 or so at WalMart.. use the rubbing compound on it, buff it out, then wax it. It will look great and I'm positive it will take out just about every last trace of lettering :)

twins_lawn_care
02-03-2005, 02:32 PM
definitely heat 'em up, but watch out for that brake cleaner as mentioned. it will take off everything, and maybe too much of what your are trying to get off. if the area's looks don't matter, then spray away!

heating it up helps to make the glue that holds it on a little more plyable if it's not rock hard. also, may try to use hot water on it, which will soften up the vinyl as well. then to get the residue off, try some Goof off, or other kind of cleanser.

smlavin
02-03-2005, 07:14 PM
The guys are right.

Heat
Goo Off
Rubbing Compound and a Buffer

You might also try scraping and getting them started peeling (between the heat and goo off) with a plastic putty knife. They work well for scraping without harming the paint.

kickin sum grass
02-03-2005, 07:27 PM
okokok, here it is. On sat and sunday an 55wkrc am in cincinnati, (not sure what station in other cities but it is nation wide show) there is a home repair show and a auto repair show. Both people say to use wd-40. Soak the decals/lettering of a while and that will disolve the adhesive. They say it works better than any other product even heat.
Waiver: I have ever tried it but thought I would pass on what they always say.

Harleyboy52
02-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I just finished a project like you're going to do and my sign guy said to go to the auto paint store and get a decal eraser. It was about 20 bucks but it took them right off. It goes in a drill and is just what the name implies, a giant eraser. You will get little rubber shavings all over you but it works real good.

SWD
02-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Provided the lettering is vinyl, there is a disolving compound to easily remove the lettering. A body shop/printing place can tell you where to get it.
Caution: heat and or any type of petroluem based solvent may damage the paint. Also, do not use rubbing compound as the acetate agent in the decal adhesive can etch into the paint from the compound.

Mr_Mo
02-03-2005, 07:32 PM
The eraser wheel from a auto paint supply place works awesome .I have been removing paint with a heat gun and would be concerned with damaging your paint using this method.

unioncross landscaping
02-03-2005, 07:48 PM
I used the heat gun method and then went back with goo gone or similar product.Took me a total of 15 hours.PITA! I have also heard about the eraser item.Patience!!

Turf Medic
02-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Auto parts store or paint shop, decal remover, spray on, decals will bubble up and you can easily remove them, car wash or pressure washer to peel them off. It is the same chemical that body shops use to remove the large decals on cars like woodgrain. Of course another option, if you are going to have it relettered is to let the guy doing the new lettering handle the removal of the current decals.