PDA

View Full Version : ryan spykaer.

lawn king
02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Doe's anyone remember the ryan aerator they built in the early 70's. It was a 4 wheel,chain drive machine. It had a tripping clutch mechanism that woul'd raise and lower an axle of star/spyke blades spaced by cast iron weights. I woul'd call it the great grandfarther of todays slice seeders! Please,someone tell me they remember this machine! Perhaps i am the oldest member of this great website,Bummer!!!!!!!

James Cormier
02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Doe's anyone remember the ryan aerator they built in the early 70's. It was a 4 wheel,chain drive machine. It had a tripping clutch mechanism that woul'd raise and lower an axle of star/spyke blades spaced by cast iron weights. I woul'd call it the great grandfarther of todays slice seeders! Please,someone tell me they remember this machine! Perhaps i am the oldest member of this great website,Bummer!!!!!!!

King, the furthest back for aerators that I remember using was the salco cam aerator. All I remember it was a big heavy metal box, with 2 little wheels on front casters and small dully wheels off the back. Man was that thing a beast on lawns, let alone getting it into the truck.

I went from using that to the Ryan lA28, now thats a nice walk behind cam aer, boy have times changed.

Where are you in this great state?

lawn king
02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm 20 miles south of boston in a little hamlet called abington. They tell me abington is an old wampatuck indian word for land of many beaver. I remember that salsco aerator very well,classen built a similar cam driven rig and that also took 3 men and a boy to operate. I ran those(2) ryans for years,then parts got real scarce. I had a box of replacement parts hidden in a dusty corner at sawtelle brothers in swampscott, MA. When they ran out i sold the machines to a guy that drove all the way up from trenton NJ to buy them! I'm running 2 lesco 30's i purchased new in 1985, i just keep replacing the flange bushings and an occasional blade weldment and they will not die. Lesco keeps things simple thats why i stay with them!

James Cormier
02-03-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm 20 miles south of boston in a little hamlet called abington. They tell me abington is an old wampatuck indian word for land of many beaver. I remember that salsco aerator very well,classen built a similar cam driven rig and that also took 3 men and a boy to operate. I ran those(2) ryans for years,then parts got real scarce. I had a box of replacement parts hidden in a dusty corner at sawtelle brothers in swampscott, MA. When they ran out i sold the machines to a guy that drove all the way up from trenton NJ to buy them! I'm running 2 lesco 30's i purchased new in 1985, i just keep replacing the flange bushings and an occasional blade weldment and they will not die. Lesco keeps things simple thats why i stay with them!

land of many beaver....hmmmmm..... :eek:

Oh and I checked your profile, yah your old....older than me that is...but not the oldest....jab jab

spray guy
02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
back in 1988. A year later I bought the Ryan Mataway overseeder. Back then I think I paid in the mid 3000 range for each. In Dallas I only know of one company selling and servicing them and that is Luber Bros. Good machines, I would recommend them highly.

lawn king
02-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Ryan has built many quality aerators over the years. I purchased a 3 point aerator a couple of years ago, i would have bought the ryan but there lightest model was 1200 lbs. I went with the woods/gill pl 60. It weighs in at 450 lbs and has built in trays for additional weight. It doe's an awesome job and it's built like a tank. I will sat this about woods equipment, if it's a moving part,it has a grease fitting!

timturf
02-04-2005, 08:31 AM

Yes, used on gc

greenhornet
03-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Does Anyone Have Parts To A Old Salsco Core Cam Aerator? Front Caster Wheel For Starters And Possibly And A Clutch Rod Or Lever

Runner
03-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Those old Lesco 30's were an awesome unit. they jut sort of "walk" along. LOL...Actually, they stole that idea...from Maaaajorrrr Maaaaaatt Maaaaaaasoonnnnn! and his "Lunar Rover"...Now,...who remembers THIS!?:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhhHp-fyiqQ&feature=related

mngrassguy
03-28-2008, 04:41 AM
yup, ran one during the mid 80's when I worked for Tru-green. Some one finally messed it up good by running it up a chain link fence. Took 3 of us and a cutting torch a whole day to get it untangled. Needless to say the aerator lost the battle

lawn king
03-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Im still running lesco 30's, 2 units i purchased in 1985, 1 unit i purchased in brand new condition last year, it sat in a barn in ohio for 15 years! I modified the front T bars with weight & upgraded the T bar pins to half inch, the machines now keep the tines in the ground and pull a constant 3 inch plug. I have stockpiled parts over the years and 1 of my original units has become a parts machine. Some parts are still available, in fact i was able to order a couple of jackshaft sprockets from lesco yesterday. Sooner or later i will buy a new aerator, but to be honest, there is not a W B aerator on the market that i really like. For now im quite happy banging out thousands of dollars in aerations with a machine i paid $800. for 23 years ago, now thats kool! :walking: