PDA

View Full Version : help from ohio boys

James Cormier
02-03-2005, 04:10 PM
hey, Im coming out to ohio on july 24-26 on my motorcycle, I am looking for places to stay while I am out there, I need to be no further than 60-70 min from lexington. Right now I have narrowed my stay down to these 2 hotels.

Holiday Inn
upper gilchrist rd
Mt Vernon

Comfort Inn
Glenn rd
Millersburg

anyone from these areas? or have knowledge about these areas. I just go them off my streets and trips program. I dont mind spending money to stay at a nice place, dont want cheep hotels.

Any help?

Jim

GreenMonster
02-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Jim, I don't know about that particular Holiday Inn, but as a road veteran, Holiday Inn is my first choice of the "affordable" hotels. That Mt. Vernon location is a Holiday Inn Express, so you should be a real smart cookie in the morning! :D

Really though, the HI Express' are nice, because for the most part, they are all fairly new. You also get free eats in the morning. The one disadvantage to the Express vs. the full service holiday inn is that there won't be a restaurant/bar at the hotel. Most locations, there is stuff nearby, or they've already teamed up with a Chilli's, Damon's, etc. right in the same parking lot.

BTW, the Mt. Vernon is a "Excellent Quality Performer" in the Holiday Inn book, so I would guess you'd be alright. It has an indoor pool and hot tub too. :drinkup: When you call for your reservation, ask for the "great rate". If that doesn't do anything for you, let me know, I'll let you use my Priority Club number which should give you a discounted rate.

I avoid Comfort Inn if possible. Hampton Inn would be my 2nd choice.

lqmustang
02-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I've never personally been to either place. I do know Millersburg is a big Amish area, fairly rural. I would assume Mt. Vernon is also quite small, but I can't say for sure. If you don't mind coming out to the edge of your limits, Canton is a pretty nice place to stay. Mapquest shows 72 miles from Canton to Lexington. There are tons of hotels to chose from, and the sky's the limit on choosing a place to eat. You might even run into a Lawnsite member or 2 out this way. :waving:

kickin sum grass
02-03-2005, 06:48 PM
I went to school in Wooster just north of millersburg. It was about 45 min from lexington/mansfield area to wooster going 71 and across 30. Coming from millersburg to lexington would take you longer than you plan. It is rural with a lot of turns and hill, stop signs, and little nothing towns. You will probably get caught behind a horse and buggy or a pack of amish walking on the road. I would count that one out.
Depending on your direction, you could stay on the north end of columbus and easily make good time striaght up 71. about 50-60 min.

James Cormier
02-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Well how do you like that, a guy from NH giving advise to where to stay in Ohio, and fast too...Good job monster, you know your hotels...thanks for that info. The holiday Inn sounds like a good choice.

Mustang, I chose these areas just from looking at a map on which way Im coming into the state. I am trying to stay as rural as possible, I figure canton would be a tourist trap with the hall of fame and everything.

There are some guys in here ( lawnsite ) Im hoping to hook up with, but my reason for this trip is to attend the ama motorcycle races at Mid Ohio Sports Car course on the 25th.

any more advise or help is welcome

Jim

James Cormier
02-03-2005, 06:56 PM
I went to school in Wooster just north of millersburg. It was about 45 min from lexington/mansfield area to wooster going 71 and across 30. Coming from millersburg to lexington would take you longer than you plan. It is rural with a lot of turns and hill, stop signs, and little nothing towns. You will probably get caught behind a horse and buggy or a pack of amish walking on the road. I would count that one out.
Depending on your direction, you could stay on the north end of columbus and easily make good time striaght up 71. about 50-60 min.

Kickin' I will be on this, so Im looking forward to the turns and hills. :p

kickin sum grass
02-03-2005, 07:03 PM
nice ride. That area will be good for a cruise. Just watch popping over top a hill to fast. horse and buggys and bikes don't mix well. :) Millersburg might be a good place to stay. I have only passed thru it once and don't remember what all is there. Maybe give yourself a few extra minutes to get to mid ohio.

Lux Lawn
02-03-2005, 07:05 PM
James-are you sure there is not anything at that exit?I have been there several times for the champ cars and a couple of bowling events and I thought there was something decent right there.

kickin sum grass
02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Sorry James, I should have looked closer. I was thinking you were comig from the south.
Check into wooster. It is a nice little town. there use to be a best western on the corner of 30 and 250 (might be another road name if it is in city limits). I lived in wooster for 2 years. There is a good little restaurant in Apple creek just out 250. amish cookin. just watch the state patrol office. :realmad:

Kev's Lawncare
02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
There's a hotel at I71-St Rt 97 , 6 minutes to Lex
2-3 newer ones at I71 - St rt 13, 10 minutes to lex.
1 - I71 - st rt 95 30 minutes
bunches here in Marion 35- 40 minutes

lqmustang
02-03-2005, 07:09 PM
That's a nice looking bike, you should be able to dodge the amish buggies pretty good on that. If you are looking to stay in rural areas then I think both your picks would work fine. Your choices of places to eat and such may be limited, but you are not too far from Mansfield if you need to get into a larger area for some reason. Have fun.

olderthandirt
02-03-2005, 09:28 PM
PM me, got a guest house available and for a fellow biker, the price would be right. Less than 45 min. to the races.

Mac

trimmasters
02-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Check in to hotels in Mansfield on Lexington - Springmill Road. there are some nice ones there that are new plus its 10 min. from Lexington.

Heres a new one right off lexington- Springmill

Country Inns & Suites
2069 Walker Lake Road
Mansfield, OH 44906
419-747-7227

Fairfield Inn - Ontario / Mansfield
1065 N Lexington Springmill Rd
Mansfield, OH 44906
419-747-2200

Hampton Inn Ontario/Mansfield
1051 North Lexington Springmill Road
Mansfield, OH 44906
419-747-5353

That would be my recomendations.

The Good Earth
02-04-2005, 12:13 AM
If you want to stay at some place nice and quiet look into staying at the lodge or getting a cottage @ Mohican State Park. It is only about 1/2 hour from the track and a nice ride on the bike.

James Cormier
02-04-2005, 10:51 AM
I really appreciate all the help from you guys.

All the hotels Ive check on in Mansfield only have smoking rooms left for that weekend, big race weekend so they filled up faster than I thought, I cant stay in a smoking room.

I have a nephew that coaches football at Kenyan State, so I kinda wanted to stay close to where he is, so I can visit him.

MAC, I will pm you today to get some info from you. Are you attending the races, do they have a bike week, like up here in NH during race week?
Thanks for the offer.

thanks again guys!!

GreenMonster
02-04-2005, 11:28 AM
All the hotels Ive check on in Mansfield only have smoking rooms left for that weekend, big race weekend so they filled up faster than I thought, I cant stay in a smoking room.

Jim,

If you get in a pinch, let me know. As a Platinum level Priority Club member, I'm garaunteed a room, with a 72 hour notice at any HI.